Fierds OP

Users who are viewing this thread

I play a game of PoP maybe once or twice a year. Usually the games are good and the entire map is taken. This time around the Fierds own 3/4 of the map, Ravernstern is confined to Rane and Poinsbruk. The D'Shar have their 4 original towns and that land, they're doing okay. I stuck with Sarleon all game for a challenge until I noticed Empire was nearly destroyed. I joined them and reclaimed their original castles from the D'Shar illegally. Question here is, the game is so lame everytime Empire goes to war it's with the Fierds and the D'Shar at the same time - AND the D'Shar and Fierds won't fight each other. Should it not be the case that the two strongest factions square off, and Empire/D'Shar be against the Fierds? I'm considering saving my character and loading it into a new game, not very fun at this point with these game mechanics. At this point what options do I have?

The reason the Fierds can get OP in the first place is because they have a ton of Lords that have a ton of troops and a good chunk of those troops tend to be Berserkers. Zerks, along with Gladiators, do INSANELY well in Auto-calc, which is how AI lords generally battle unless you step in.

The best way to stop they from being quite so dangerous: Get the Lords to like and defect to you are capture them and keep them imprisoned in a castle or town. Fierds are defintely the most dangerous MARSHALLED force in auto-calc as they generally will have at least 6 lords with 200 troops, their King with 300+, and at least 2 more with over 100. If they defeat a minor faction army with a ton of prisoners then they get even stronger. Also if they are left alone long enough their castles get damned near un-siegable for the AI. 

In short, whatever you do early game, in the mid game when you are a vassal or a merc captain, do WHATEVER you can to weaken the Zerks. Zerk's generally tend to dominate late game so you weaken them, you will probably have an easier time late game.

It can really vary from game to game. In 3.4 the fierds kicked Sarleon and the D'Shars butts hard. While I as the Ravnstern Marshal took most of the Empires lands and used them to form the Kingdom of Pendor.

However, in my current 3.5 game the Fierds are confined to Valonbray and Javiksholm. The D'shar and Sarleon took all the sothern and western things while Ravenstern managed to snatch Windholm.

The Fierdys were the first faction I destroyed.  I control all of their original lands, and some far western castles of Sarleon.  Sarleon became ungodly strong.  The D'shar and Sarleon attacked the Empire.  The D'Shar only claimed two castles, while Sarleon took everything except for Janos and Cez.  Sarleon was attacked by the D'shar, Ravenstern, AND the bloody tatters of the Empire, and only lost Talon Castle and I believe Calendian.  It took nearly two months for them to finally be weakened enough for sieges.  They're still incredibly powerful, but I put them in their place by capturing a few castles.

Every game is different.  I've had games where the first castle to ever change hands is the castle I attack to form Pendor, and others where Ravenstern or the Fierds have taken out another faction entirely.  (Usually they destroy each other, then expand on Sarleon).  My personal favorite was in the first 180 days, the D'shar took out the Empire entirely, and crippled Sarleon.  (this was before D'shar archers were upgraded)  I basically turned the D'Shar into roadkill, and had a massive chunk of territory.

Every game is different that's true. I will probably just have to join the D'Shar, but meh! Fierds vs D'Shar isn't very interesting, even when I do found a kingdom. It seems like the mechanics need to be changed slightly, they should be fighting each other rather than joining together to beat on the tiny kingdoms. Seems like a design flaw or something.

CleanWar said:
Their weakness are cav and archers.

Except for Kningjur Valdis and his Valdis Huscarls.

As for archers, since every unit and their grandmother has a shield, I disagree with the archers weakness. Their Archers are decent and will wipe the floor with any mid tier and lower unit in melee.

Crossbowmen are a different matter, those things shatter shields in a heartbeat.

(Zerkers die in seconds either way, I will agree with that)

You have to play smart: Join them. Or the alternative is to wipe them out with cavalry and high tier archers. One more viable option is to avoid them collectively as they can be overwhelming. But the turn of the tide can easily be done with tactics and brain 1.0.

True that they are a very hardcore faction via domination, any game can result in different outcomes with eg.) Sarleon pissing on Javiksholm, etc.

When they gather for a siege and you have a good force, try taunting out a few of the lords away from the horde and killing them off piecemeal. Kill a few and the marshal usually decides to bugger off home instead of trying his luck with the siege.

Or if they are besieging a very defensible location and a sizable amount of troops, you can slaughter their whole army in the siege by retreating once 3-4 enemy waves have been killed. Once retreated, go into the battle again. This will spawn another 5-6 waves of enemies.

They always have the biggest chance to dominate the game via the highest renown lords -> autocalc rape anyone but its really random. In many games i had every faction conquer half of the map. It can depend on few first weeks of game like named spawns show up, first big warbands moves, player moves etc. 

Fierds are too easy to defeat by player ofc, since they are mostly infantry...

and they lack halbrediers , so get army made of Silvermist rangers with Hero Adventures...
And kill them easily before they even reach you.. :smile:

But in case you charge early on,, get ready to take injuries as even their archers are pseudo-infantry.. :smile:

To enhance Silvermist rangers simply go in items.txt and change capacity of Noldor arrows from 32 to 100 :razz:

They will be huge force :smile:

And just for the record:

The sole purpose Fierdsvain lords are so strong is the significantly higher reknown distributed to their lords. That was done on purpose and fully intentional by SD ever since 1.21 and won´t be changed for any PoP taking place in Pendor. I think they even have 4 more lords than the other factions do.

They are designed to dominate and it takes ill luck and a bad streak of luck for them not to do exactly that.

Why would you want them anyways? They probably smell like stale ale and beer flatulence. Not to mention the lack of hygiene and those massive beards don't mix well.

Well... that's the point actually. I'll probably find some Imperial patrician. They surely must go to bath on daily basis.

Arcanum said:
CleanWar said:
Their weakness are cav and archers.

Except for Kningjur Valdis and his Valdis Huscarls.

As for archers, since every unit and their grandmother has a shield, I disagree with the archers weakness. Their Archers are decent and will wipe the floor with any mid tier and lower unit in melee.

Crossbowmen are a different matter, those things shatter shields in a heartbeat.

(Zerkers die in seconds either way, I will agree with that)

No, No, NO!
Valdis Huscarls??? That are Huscarls on horses! I'm not afraid for that at all.

Their archers? Rather call them Infantry with a stick and some string.
I agree, their melee is very strong! But you don't have archers for melee.
They are the weakest archers in the game! Every other will defeat them easly.
Ravenstern Rangers, i bet!
3 shot and the archer wil die.

They are just useless.

CleanWar said:
Valdis Huscarls??? That are Huscarls on horses! I'm not afraid for that at all.

Their archers? Rather call them Infantry with a stick and some string.
I agree, their melee is very strong! But you don't have archers for melee.
They are the weakest archers in the game! Every other will defeat them easly.

Nope, fierd archers will win fight with some archers. Forest bandit is the answer.

Also, they are only for castle defence to annoy soldiers on ladder. Without them, greens wouldnt have anything to shot from castle at incoming enemy, and throwing stones is just for hardcore players, not some green country soldiers who are not hardcore at all (try to bet the game without cheats, naked, 0 army and  stones only).

Back
Top Bottom