Feint spam survival tips for beginners

Users who are viewing this thread

I searched "feints" and found an interesting thread suggesting that single player bots should feint more. The idea was that, since "feint spam" is widespread online, this change would prepare beginners and long-time single-players for the realities of multiplayer combat. Feinting isn't part of the tutorial, and "anti-feint" tactics aren't talked about very often in the community, says the search.

The multiplayer experience is notoriously hard on beginners, and maybe part of that has to do with all this cloak and dagger ****—beginners need to be exposed to feints in tutorials, and they need some tips from the community.

In the interest of getting more people playing multiplayer, I ask: what are yours?

Here are some of mine:

Just an honest question, does a tutorial against feints really need a 1 minute 50 intro? Like what is the goal of these videos? You are aiming for a tutorial but at the same time entertainment....

Just an honest question, does a tutorial against feints really need a 1 minute 50 intro? Like what is the goal of these videos? You are aiming for a tutorial but at the same time entertainment....
No, it honestly does not need an intro at all. I set up the "chapters" so you can skip it very easily. Let me have my fun!

Nice video.

Also fun to see how some of the veterans here who complain how dead this game is, are complaining about the video as well. Instead, they could realize that any help to new players could lead to more retention instead of thinking : **** this im out

Maybe a forum mod could set up a sticky thread with these sort of video's. I hope more people learn from it and stick around.

Good tips. Outfeinting those crazy 60fps (feints per seconds) feinters doesn't really work out for me. Not sure why. Could be my office mouse or I just suck, so I guess I'll try these instead. Love your humor btw.

Your tips are not that usefull tbh.

turn block: only shines in 1vsX situations - and when you teach beginners to rely on turn blocks they will mess up their footwork and also never improve their blocking
bash: it's useless compared to a kick and i don't see how bashing should be easier than just change block direction
kicks: Needs training to be properly done and fail is punished. Not suited for beginners.

what actually helps:

-spam
-control distance
-work on your blocking

Also fun to see how some of the veterans here who complain how dead this game is, are complaining about the video as well. Instead, they could realize that any help to new players could lead to more retention instead of thinking : **** this im out
This type of video teaches bad habits as the person teaching such tips does not know what he is talking about. If you try to find a "work around" for feints you are avoiding developing the capacity to learn how to block such feints, and therefore you will ingrain bad habits and never learn how to properly defend.

The solution is to learn to block and git good. Sad!

This type of video teaches bad habits as the person teaching such tips does not know what he is talking about. If you try to find a "work around" for feints you are avoiding developing the capacity to learn how to block such feints, and therefore you will ingrain bad habits and never learn how to properly defend.

Why don't you make a video about it then. At least he is trying to teach his fellow players and entertain at the same time. When was the last time you made someone a happier person? Sad!

1. Awareness
2. Footwork
3. Timing
4. Type of attack

What I really wanted to say, the kids today is really keen on watching videos and do what the videos tell them to do instead of autodidacting. Such players will never git gud.
Stuff that makes a good M&B players cant be learned by watching a video, it takes days and months of gameplay. You must be persistent and learn from the ones who beat you. Watch what work for others. Find your own style. You will die in awful ways 1000 times but keep going at it and you shall harvest sweet fruit.

Get use to strafing in the opposite direction of your swings to 1) make it harder for your opponent to correctly block: He must face you turning towards you but block in the opposite direction. 2) add speedbonus damage
Free look is your best friend (its called view character or view outfit in the keybindings menu, I use LALT thumb)
Learn to exploit the speedbonus, both when attacking but also when defending to decrease the amount of incomming damage

Last edited:
1. Awareness
2. Footwork
3. Timing
4. Type of attack

What I really wanted to say, the kids today is really keen on watching videos and do what the videos tell them to do instead of autodidacting. Such players will never git gud.
Stuff that makes a good M&B players cant be learned by watching a video, it takes days and months of gameplay. You must be persistent and learn from the ones who beat you. Watch what work for others. Find your own style. You will die in awful ways 1000 times but keep going at it and you shall harvest sweet fruit.

Get use to strafing in the opposite direction of your swings to 1) make it harder for your opponent to correctly block: He must face you turning towards you but block in the opposite direction. 2) add speedbonus damage
Free look is your best friend (its called view character or view outfit in the keybindings menu, I use LALT thumb)
Learn to exploit the speedbonus, both when attacking but also when defending to decrease the amount of incomming damage
pleb.

Would really like for the shieldbash to work, but before the bash it just pulls the shield back which is enough for any good plyaer to punish you.

tbh these tips aren't helpful. You're teaching people to play like noobs.
Turn-block isn't a reliable way of blocking and will create bad habits. You'll just get spammed as you're passive blocking and people who rely on turn-blocking can't block overhead swings most of the time. Bashing is also is a noob thing, any experienced player will s key for you to bash and get a free hit. Your last video also had bunch of noob things.
The only way to fight against feints is playing more and learning how to block, these kind of videos won't help anyone. Not everyone fights the same way.

Solution to feint spamming is to git good
Lol you're not wrong! Just trying to give beginners who have, by definition, yet to git good some options to survive an extra beat or two in exchanges. The longer those exchanges last, the more they'll learn, and just maybe they'll have some fun!
Nice video.
Good tips. Outfeinting those crazy 60fps (feints per seconds) feinters doesn't really work out for me. Not sure why. Could be my office mouse or I just suck, so I guess I'll try these instead. Love your humor btw.
Thank you very much!

Your tips are not that usefull tbh.

turn block: only shines in 1vsX situations - and when you teach beginners to rely on turn blocks they will mess up their footwork and also never improve their blocking
bash: it's useless compared to a kick and i don't see how bashing should be easier than just change block direction
kicks: Needs training to be properly done and fail is punished. Not suited for beginners.

what actually helps:

-spam
-control distance
-work on your blocking
Useful comment, although I don't completely agree with these points.

1. Turn blocking is not only good 1v1. I use it in group fights throughout the video. It also doesn't really **** footwork—it actually works better with footwork, since you can control the strike angle and you're not at all prevented from moving.

2. Bashing isn't useless, but I guess we can agree to disagree? It's a situational tool that's saved my noob ass against plenty of better feinters, and it's "easier" than changing block direction for beginners, who suck at blocking, because you just have to hit E with your bad block up, instead of getting the right inputs under stress...

3. Everything you suggested — feint spamming, controlling distance, and working on blocking — needs training to be properly done. I don't think that invalidates kicking. I also don't think it's too much to ask beginners to hit E occasionally, especially when it doesn't disrupt your blocks at all... why not start training this early on? You won't unless you know that it exists, and that it doesn't eliminate your block.

Above all, I think you're mistaking these beginner tips/additions as substitutions for the three advanced tips you shared—spamming feints, controlling distance, and getting very comfortable with blocking, all of which take quite a lot of time to develop.

Do you have any martial arts experience? In boxing, beginners often wash out early in sparring because advanced dudes light them up. One person, tragically named Rodney King (no relation), noticed this, and developed an easy shell-blocking systems, tragically named crazy monkey defense, to help. This guard was not meant to replace more advanced techniques or counter them all perfectly, but instead was designed to help beginners "stay in the fight" a little longer, so they could learn faster and not get discouraged. Eventually, those beginners would often grow out of "crazy monkey defense," or at the very least use it in conjunction with advanced 'best practices,' but it served its purpose by making boxing sparring a bit more beginner-friendly... This was what I had in mind here.

If you try to find a "work around" for feints you are avoiding developing the capacity to learn how to block such feints, and therefore you will ingrain bad habits and never learn how to properly defend.

Great news: this isn't a work-around, and none of these techniques need to REPLACE gittin' gud. Imagine knowing how to defend "properly" (whatever that means), but ALSO knowing how to bash, kick, and turn block? Glorious.
1. Awareness
2. Footwork
3. Timing
4. Type of attack

Good tips!

I agree that practice and repetition—not video viewing—is the mother of skill. But some beginners don't even know these techniques exist; they're not featured in tutorials or used much by AI opponents.

Maybe dumb videos like this will bring some "new" techniques to light. More importantly, I hope they get people interested or excited in the idea of multiplayer.

Anyway, appreciate all the salt and sugar!

Multiplayer is the best and you're all my best friends now.

At the end of the day someone is trying to help the noobs out there, give the man credit. Regardless if this is used in comp matches or not, helping the newbies will increase the games potential.

Above all, I think you're mistaking these beginner tips/additions as substitutions for the three advanced tips you shared
Yeah people seem to be missing the intention of your video. You gave options for beginners, and those options are fair. While I'm not a pro, I'm not bad at Bannerlord myself. I know the basics and I can get my kills, but I still learned from your tips. Simply because one on one fight with a fast feinter is my worst matchup. I can only keep up to a certain degree of speed. I'd rather take on 5 people alone than a duel with one of those.

Back
Top Bottom