Feedback on the New Culture Bonuses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Well, I find them ok with some exceptions:

- I miss the Sturgia speed bonus in snow, even if it was small. In the same way Aserai have it in deserts, I would like to see it for Sturgia too.
- Battania speed bonus in forest is pretty damn OP and much better than any other thing. This speed bonus should be halved or so.

What are people's current thoughts on culture bonuses after an extended period of time with them?
Unless I'm creating a specific type of RP playthrough; A Mongol Hoard, or Viking Invasion type of thing, I always just pick Battanian now. No matter what the other bonuses are, with so much of the map having trees, being able to escape or catch otherwise faster armies is just too good to pass up. So I'd say they are slightly OP since I almost always pick them. Speed seems to be more important than saving or making money since you will get to a point were money is easy. Money perks help in the early game, speed lasts forever.

What are people's current thoughts on culture bonuses after an extended period of time with them?

Battania is by far the most noticeable and useful and powerful from early to late game. With Combat Tips perk gets more Fians too.

Late Game Empire can be nice for the influence boost and of course how many cities are Empire culture, plus cheaper garrisons adds up.

Sturgia and Vlandia are basically negatives - substantial penalties to kingdom management with no significant bonuses.

Aserai is niche, for trading it is good and of course the speed makes a bit of difference for mobility advantage in the desert.

Haven't tried Khuzait at all but it looks negligible. But they have Khan's Guard so whatever.

Haven't tried Khuzait at all but it looks negligible. But they have Khan's Guard so whatever.
Negligible for positives, the negatives are unbalancing for AI, situational for players and push you towards cheesing the game.

What's not to like?

It is like someone took aim, with laser-guided precision, on the right mix of bonuses and penalties that would be the worst possible combination of not interesting, discouraging intended gameplay and bad for the game world.

I mostly played Battania and Empire and Khuzait for their bonuses, from 160 there is only one pick Battania.
I used to chose mostly between Vlandia and Battania before this change. Now it's only Battania or Aserai depending if i want to be a warrior or take a more pacifist approach with trading and stuff. I kind of think that the new bonuses are actually worse than before, well aside Battania and Aserai that are better but still feel they should be even more than now.
If i have one gripe with the whole game right now is that "and stuff" part is barely even there. You either go fight for a kingdom or make your own but you can't really do much else.
The skills and leveling part is kind of a filler that could be easily removed altogether, without modding they barely matter anyway. And the roleplay is not there at all. The game is literally blocking you even if you want to "make your own story" becasue you have no tools. I think the game should be build around the idea that your character is fully leveled with all skills and perks and what you can do with the game's systems after that part. So really they need to construct those systems.

I prefer the bonuses to be anecdotal for the player and balanced for the factions. I chose my culture over the faction I chose to support and not for its bonuses. And as long as the Khuzaits are nervous, that's fine with me ^^.

But they have Khan's Guard so whatever.
Yeah, but it's pretty fast and easy to fill up on 100 of thier noble troops now in 1.6.1, even with other culture (I think only matters with combat tips perk?) and without save re-load for forced recruit. There's enough in the first slots that just normal recruiting and normal forced recruit gets you enough. IME more then 80-100 is over kill and expensive.

I thought the original ones were bad, yikes.

The empire village hearth loss thing, why? I mean, one of the favorite things for barbarians to do was to raid byzantine villages for that phat lewt.

I kinda like the new system with pros and cons. It could, however, be more pros and cons for each faction. Or maybe that you can choose in a list of pros and cons and select then one that fits you best (within faction limits of course)

Back
Top Bottom