[Feedback] 100 hours of noobing around, some thoughts about the game

Users who are viewing this thread

FredFirefly

Recruit
Hello, so I got the game more or less a month ago after a friend recommended it, and that I saw a bit of game play, which seemed quite nice. Overall, I love it, very nice, I was more attracted by the RPG side, as I'm a bit intimidated by real time strategy, I'm not really good at thinking fast and coordinate several different orders, but it's not so bad in the end(also, I've been playing with the easy setting because I knew I would suck, that probably helps me thinking I'm doing good). I see a lot of potential in the game, with many little things that could be added here and there and I can't wait to see what developers are preparing for the future (I am hoping for a good diplomatic system, to have an alternative to 200 hours of non stop battles in order to conquer the whole map). I was playing very chill like a noob all along, and I was not really looking for exploits, best character build or whatever. The only things I looked for on the forum were suggestions to see what others wanted the game to look like, and I have to say there are lots of very cool ideas around. I also looked for a French translation mod, even though I understand English perfectly, I have to think and work in English all day and just find it more relaxing to play in my mother tongue during my fun time. I don't think playing in French affected too much my game as I don't think I missed any information that I would have gotten if playing in English, but if I did, well, we're on the internet, someone will correct me.

So, I was just living the life of a ruthless Battanian Lord who tried to make his country the only one in Calradia (by chopping many Vlandian heads, because for no appearant reason, Cataldid hated me from the start of the game so I decided the whole faction would suffer), and I really enjoyed it for the most part. But there are things that disturbed me during my campaign, over the obvious bugs and crashes or unfinished bits of the game like the storyline/tutorials we all experience because of the early access, .

The most recent is something I am seeing a lot in the late game, and that I am not sure if there is a way to control it or if it is up to randomness. In my game, 3 factions went down, as they didn't have any more cities and their leaders were just roaming around. And the former lords of the defeated factions then joined one of the remaining factions, same as the smaller clans. And the problem I have with those is their complete lack of loyalty and the blindness of my AI leader who keeps giving them settlements just so they will betray us to join the enemies. I didn't have any problems in my game with the Khuzaits being overpowered on the battlefield as I have seen a few posts about, but they are still winning because all the Sturgian lords that joined me (Battania) after Sturgia was gone waited that we gave them a handful of castles and cities before leaving to join the Khuzait. So I am just besieging over and over the same cities, just to see Caladog giving them to unloyal new lords, who then join our enemies. I first thought this was up to the relation I had with some of those outsider lords and leaders as I was quite hated at some point in my game after chopping the heads of half of the Vlandian nobility, but even Lords who were almost at +100 relation with me betrayed Battania, so I don't know if that is due to them having a bad relation with the leader of the faction or if that is completely random. And I have found a solution in killing every single Lord/clan leader I battle, but that gives me bad reputation and makes me devious, and I am certain there must be a way to keep my settlements without becoming a bloodthristy destroyer of families. But right now, it feels like the endgame is an endless repetition of the same battles until you decide that if they are not with you, they deserve death.

I also had a problem with the "wait here" option available in settlements. Whenever one of my allies would raise an army while I was waiting somewhere, I would stay in the waiting screen, but my character would start following this new army. I don't think I am supposed to be waiting forever in the same spot, in general it's just a matter of having myself and my troops healed up until we can resume our conquests, but still, I don't think my character should go roaming around without me having any notification of his doings.

There is another thing, which is more frivolous, that I haven't understood how it was supposed to work, it's how to get an heir. From what I have seen it's VERY random, I've read that the way to do it is to have your spouse in your party for a while, and at some point, the wife will get pregnant, but that never happened for me, no idea why. I have seen that it happened to other people, and for others, it's the opposite, they get 20 children in 3 in game months. My guess is that there is still some WIP there to make it more consistent, but couldn't find any relatable info about how it works in depth.

Anyway, I really enjoyed my first playthrough, which I don't think I will finish, at that point it's just endless and almost boring, plus no child to inherit my lands. I am looking forward to make a new one to test around the "create your own faction sandbox" thing that was added with the 1.4.0, which I'm very curious about. Thank you to anyone who takes time to read this.

Last edited:
There is another thing, which is more frivolous, that I haven't understood how it was supposed to work, it's how to get an heir. From what I have seen it's VERY random, I've read that the way to do it is to have your spouse in your party for a while, and at some point, the wife will get pregnant, but that never happened for me, no idea why. I have seen that it happened to other people, and for others, it's the opposite, they get 20 children in 3 in game months. My guess is that there is still some WIP there to make it more consistent, but couldn't find any relatable info about how it works in depth.

Take your spouse into your party, go to a city, choose the wait option, wait until a message pops up (top center beige text box) that your wife/ you are with child. This is how it works for me as a female character.

Take your spouse into your party, go to a city, choose the wait option, wait until a message pops up (top center beige text box) that your wife/ you are with child. This is how it works for me as a female character.
I tried that kind of stuff, having her in the hold or in my party (did both), and waited forever (until my army consumed the 500 food and started to starve), and still nothing. I came up with a roleplay explanation that my character had been castrated during his imprisonment before he got married ^^.
But you actually remind me of a problem I had with the waiting mechanics, that if someone in my faction creates an army, my character will follow that army, but I am still seeing the waiting screen while my character is roaming around, maybe ending up in front of stronger enemies and getting captured while I thought he was still in the castle/town I asked him to wait in. I'll edit my first post to add that because I think that is something that shouldn't be working the way it does right now.

Then maybe your wife is the problem :sad:

Edit: have to say, that I'll take always the same spouses if I start a new save. I get max 2 childs.

Back
Top Bottom