Feature Walk Backwards discussion and fix for who dont wish this feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Lohi-soturi said:
Idibil said:
With that information then it should be:

0-Athletics = 5% fall
2  or more Athletics = 3% Fall
4 or more At = 2% Fall
5 or more At = 1% Fall (we cannt add less)

Maybe this % is very low...

Don't worry, they are definitely big enough to prevent the player from relying on backpedaling:

Even though the percentages look small they will still make it very risky to walk backwards for long...after 25 steps even a 5 at guy has fallen 22% of the time and an atheletics 0 guy will have fallen with about 72% chance.

Even if you take just few steps back per battle, sooner or later you will fall even with 5 athletics.

Agreed with the above, this would make it happen in most fights if you are backing up a lot but would make it a very rare event for the occasional back step.
As an aside, I will say again however that this is yet another element that makes being a mounted lancer more attractive - you can't fall off the horse.

Also, for another anecdote I was at our local fight practice last night and watched people backing up/circling constantly while fighting all night long. Exactly one person fell over while doing so and it was because of a shield-push while he was doing it, not tripping.

I'd be pretty happy trying it with those lower chance numbers. I tend to do the backup and fighting when my horse dies and my own troops go down. Would be neat if the AI suffered from the same clumsiness.. or perhaps give us some nice two handed blunt weapons that can plant them on their arses  :smile: Noticed a few clubs can do this, but just doesn't feel the same as having a two handed maul to smack that shield and send them staggering to the ground.

In the meantime, I advise everyone to strafe! It works equally good as backpedaling once you get the hang of it. Better in fact, as it sometimes enables to quickly strike a foe in the back.

Been strafing since i started native, with two handers you can swing from the side while strafing and get a speed bonus (or penalty to damage) if you do it right.

Howitzer said:
In the meantime, I advise everyone to strafe! It works equally good as backpedaling once you get the hang of it. Better in fact, as it sometimes enables to quickly strike a foe in the back.

The best bit is you can strafe right whilst looking left and not fall over! :lol:

How is looking left and running right any different to walking backwards whilst looking forwards?

This feature is absolutely horrible (in my humble opinion, at least this topic makes me realize I'm far from being alone on this), and the fact that it's impossible to turn it off only makes it worse.

One of the things I love about Brytenwalda (aside from the lore) is that you don't see many people wearing massive fullplates like in every other mod. Heck, I like waltzing around in a suit of leather armor and a nice fur cloak while my sword does the killing, and seeing this new version of the mod come out was such good news that M&B was one of the first things I installed on my new pc... however after a couple hours of playing and A LOT of tripping, it just isn't fun anymore. Either my character's secretly hitting the booze while I'm alt-tabbing or I don't know. Hell, I've no idea how any lord wants to pay me a salary when all I do is trip around the battlefield.

Don't get me wrong. Love the mod, been playing it for several versions now, but this feature is plain gamebreaking for me.

Check page one of this thread, the link to remove the tripping completely was still there this morning.

I love this discussion and where it ended up with the last round of numbers Ibidil posted. Those look absolutely perfect, thanks to the help of Lohi-soturi.  :grin:

Even though I will personally keep it on, I would still definitely keep it as an option, if for no other reason than the fact that it's always good to have options. But probably more than that, the issue really gets to some people so it would be a shame to lose players to something that could easily be avoided. If there are other switchable realism options, why not add another?

(I can't wait for 1.35, my days are consumed by it  :shock:)

-edit-
Oh, and here's a tip some people might find useful even in the current version. Pressing Shift makes the player walk, and you can safely do this even going backwards without falling. Which is another reason I think the falling feature is perfectly realistic, since if you don't want to trip, don't run backwards while guys are hacking away at you. Take your time, assure your footing, and you'll be fine.

I'm sorry to bump this thread, but its the most recent one with relevance to my issue (at least according to the search function). Some say the fix is on the front page, but it would seem that this is referring to a previous version and that fix appears to have been removed. Would anyone else happen to have a workaround for the most recent patch? I would greatly appreciate it.

I disabled everything available in the camp menu just in-case it was bundled with something else (because its not listed as an option) and it still unfortunately happens.

Drid said:
I disabled everything available in the camp menu just in-case it was bundled with something else (because its not listed as an option) and it still unfortunately happens.

Camp menu > Mod Options > Disable Walk Backwards Fall

Its between Disable Battle Wounds and Disable Special Hits and Bleeding, you need to scroll down to see these options.

Sorry, I was being a fool and assumed that the version on moddb was the latest one I was actually using 1.34 thank you for the help.

HOW DO I DISABLE STUMBLE AND FALL FEATURE THAT IS HORRIBLY BALANCED AND NOT REALISTIC AT ALL?! (sorry it is making me crazy right now)

I don't understand why this feature is only applied to the player and not to every troop? If the aim was realism then why was it not applied to all and balanced properly? (I guess because in its current state the entire battle would be people just falling over and he probably uses camera to determine when to fall, which ai doesnt use... this is horrible just horrible)

Why is it only applied to the player and turns the player into a paraplegic? I want you all to go out side and run backwards... if you fall... kill yourself, you are hopeless!

THIS FEATURE SHOULD BE DELETED OR BALANCED

Redleg said:
LootingScumbag said:
HOW DO I DISABLE STUMBLE AND FALL FEATURE THAT IS HORRIBLY BALANCED AND NOT REALISTIC AT ALL?! (sorry it is making me crazy right now)

You can disable it in the mod options.

Thank you, I just found out yesterday. (I guess I should have paid attention to the text in the menu image)

Back
Top Bottom