Feature Walk Backwards discussion and fix for who dont wish this feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

heavy armor.

Idibil said:
manekemaan said:
Idibil said:
manekemaan said:
is there a way not to disable it with the overwrite but to adjust the values per athletics lvl?

you have a fix here:

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,154472.0.html

i like it, I don't want to disable it, what I asked was is there a way to alter the values of dropping that athletic gives?

No, but I will change for next patch to range that we said in this thread

thanks ibidil

Guy de Flandres said:
I can walk a whole day backwards without falling.
Here is an example on how easy it is.
Ofc it would be harder when you are walking in an area where there are pieces of wood and other things on the ground.
But in M&B its mostly a flat area without any obstacles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db99sJOZEmI

You did watch the fact that the guys with camera's keep looking behind them right?  They arn't focused on the girl 'chasing them with a 2 handed axe and trying to kill them while blocking and swinging back and hoping not to trip over the guys behind them that were dropped by enemy archers'

Just saying :smile:

Broichan said:
You did watch the fact that the guys with camera's keep looking behind them right?  They arn't focused on the girl 'chasing them with a 2 handed axe and trying to kill them while blocking and swinging back and hoping not to trip over the guys behind them that were dropped by enemy archers'

Just saying :smile:

What about a football referee? Or when warming up at football training, we run backwards too without watching and we dont fall.

well, the thing is, the battle field isn't exactly a football pitch after all, it isn't that smooth a terrain + you ideally don't wish to run backwards directly on someones sword + the armour and all the battlefield contribute to occasional falling over.

But as I said, moving backwards is not running backwards, because by just moving backwards, you can't just fall over , because you have some spacial awareness at your immediate back even if you don't look back, you sort of know that there shoudn't be a rock or some guy 2 meters behind you, while "running a marathon" backwards isn't exactly as easy.

Boyar said:
well, the thing is, the battle field isn't exactly a football pitch after all, it isn't that smooth a terrain + you ideally don't wish to run backwards directly on someones sword + the armour and all the battlefield contribute to occasional falling over.

But as I said, moving backwards is not running backwards, because by just moving backwards, you can't just fall over , because you have some spacial awareness at your immediate back even if you don't look back, you sort of know that there shoudn't be a rock or some guy 2 meters behind you, while "running a marathon" backwards isn't exactly as easy.

I can understand the battlefield isnt that smooth, but even when it is smooth, according to the things I can see ingame, I still fall.
And falling 5 times in 10 seconds isnt realistic, no matter how the battlefield looks.

And I have to agree that in game there is no running backwards, but you walk backwards. So the chance you will fall should be very small.

exactly, that is my problem. No warrior should in normal situations just trip randomly when walking backwards. That is the lamest realism attempt I have seen so far and I saw many. (Sorry Idibil, your MOD is otherwise great though) :smile:

I think what really makes this a poor mechanic is the fact that IF I was to be in combat I would probably not face my opponent straight on.

Thus, if I wanted to move backwards I would rather be "strafing" or "side hopping", but have my torso twisted to face my opponent. Backpedaling is not something humans do on a regular basis. So I don't see the in-game backpedaling as actual moving straight back.

That's why I think adding a penalty to this simulated move is kinda weird... all IMHO of course.

To see, IMO, the worst part of this feature get 5-10 companions and go and find some bandits that are mainly Morth (I think that is the spelling, they are in Scotland and armed with slings). Have fun chasing them halfway across the battlefield whilst they flawlessly back pedal out of your reach :razz:. It works best if you have low or no athletics skill.

I love this feature. It is why we sidestep and almost entirely avoid backpedaling in real life.

I am sure you fat nerds can walk backwards on your flat and mowed lawns. Try doing that on rough foreign terrain while wearing armour and wielding weapons, while at the same time trying to avoid death from the front. Please do make me a video and show us your masterful dexterities, you're all full of ****.

If a game/mod aims for realism it should not, at the whim of its loudest detractors, all of a sudden decide to favour ideas that are totally contradictory to its goals.

Elthore said:
I am sure you fat nerds can walk backwards on your flat and mowed lawns. Try doing that on rough foreign terrain while wearing armour and wielding weapons, while at the same time trying to avoid death from the front. Please do make me a video and show us your masterful dexterities, you're all full of ****.

No reason to get harsh.

But i agree, walking backwards with:
1) 0 athletics, meaning your character isn't athletic AT ALL
2) armor and so much weight on you from armor and weapons,
3) the probability to step on a rock, a hole or a weapon, since you can't see where you are going
4) the fact that all your senses are concentrated on saving your life

well, it is a bit realistic that you are going to fall. Maybe the chances need to be lowered down, but certainly not removed.

Elthore said:
I love this feature. It is why we sidestep and almost entirely avoid backpedaling in real life.

If a game/mod aims for realism it should not, at the whim of its loudest detractors, all of a sudden decide to favour ideas that are totally contradictory to its goals.

I agree with you that on a rough foreign terrain you might have a chance to fall down.
But even on a straight plain terrain my character falls.
And falling 5 times in 10 seconds is not realistic unless you have some disorders.

I agree, that's why i said lower the chances. I think that's what is going to happen.

Remember, the game doesn't have the ability or the code to distinguish when there is a body, a weapon or a hole behind you. That's why it makes it random.

I am not in favor of it, i am just explaining.

Here's something nobody's thought of...

What about tripping when you move forward

:razz:

Or how about increasing the chances of tripping in any direction depending on the following conditions:
Weather
Light
Slope
Have you recently come out of a feast and feeling a little... unbalanced.

Just something to think about. :smile:

I think WE NEED a middle ground for this feature, so that everyone is at least somewhat happy.

If only it could be implemented so that you start tripping lets say after 7 seconds going back.

That would make people less frustrated, because they wouldn't trip the next second they decide to make two steps back and also it would prevent gamey manuvers to kill off 10 AI without a problem just moving back.

So what do you think? Possible?

Boyar said:
I think WE NEED a middle ground for this feature, so that everyone is at least somewhat happy.

If only it could be implemented so that you start tripping lets say after 7 seconds going back.

That would make people less frustrated, because they wouldn't trip the next second they decide to make two steps back and also it would prevent gamey manuvers to kill off 10 AI without a problem just moving back.

So what do you think? Possible?

The problem is that you don't have any other way to kill off the AI when they want to gangbang you.

And sometimes they do that (in arenas), they are coming at you 4-5 at a time, while they are killed from the behind by 1 person! They also can hit you _through_ the guy standing in front of you...

Finally, it will be optional (mod options), and %:

0-Athletics = 40% fall
2  or more Athletics = 30% Fall
4 or more At = 20% Fall
5 or more At = 10% Fall

If you have 5 or more at, you can each 1 of each 10 steps only.

Idibil said:

0-Athletics = 40% fall
4 or more At = 20% Fall
5 or more At = 10% Fall

Agreed. The optional thing should make everyone happy. Thanks Idibil.

Idibil said:

0-Athletics = 40% fall
4 or more At = 20% Fall
5 or more At = 10% Fall

Isn't Athletics capped at 5 in this release? (I'm at work, can't check now.)

Back
Top Bottom