Feature Requests

Users who are viewing this thread

xenoargh

Grandmaster Knight
This thread is for feature requests, i.e., cool stuff you'd like to see in the mod, or things you think could be improved.

Guidelines for feature requests:

A.  The shorter it is, the more likely I will do it.

B.  Read the Giant Wall O' Text before posting.  It explains (in horrendous detail) the philosophy behind the mod.  Feature requests that would take the mod in an entirely new direction aren't likely to happen.

C.  Some things are harder than others, or take a lot of work.  If you haven't modded the engine, be aware that some things are just plain impossible, or are so difficult that I'm very unlikely to do them.  It doesn't mean I didn't read your request and think about it if I say, "no".

Since the economy has been redone, and huge amounts of money are in rotation every week (up to 60 000 denars for me), it would be nice to have feature, which shows the day you have to pay wages to your soldiers. You can put it in weekly budget report like "Next paying day - 27th June". This would make game a lot easier for ppl like ho often forget to track it by themselves.

Cheers and congrats on the sub-forum! It's well-deserved!

Do you think you'd be able to include Diplomacy mod in your mod? If not do you think you'd have time to implement a diplomatic system to make it easier to stay on track with the political stuff?

I believe he said no to diplomacy mod in another thread.

Reason being its called blood and steel and not words and peace:p

Even though I haven't downloaded it, though I probably will later, are you thinking of adding primitive artillery, not just like handcannons? And how slow do handcannons make you?

I think what's in at the moment, like the mortar & siege handgonne are pretty much the best that can be done in terms of artillery. I doubt we're ever going to see actual siege guns trundling across battlefields in any mod

WuTaNiSt said:
I think what's in at the moment, like the mortar & siege handgonne are pretty much the best that can be done in terms of artillery. I doubt we're ever going to see actual siege guns trundling across battlefields in any mod

Havoc has done it. I think some WW1 mods are doing it too.

On the general subject of artillery... I've thought about doing some extra-huge cannons, but non-portable special versions that are just scene objects... probably not, doesn't have much appeal to me.  It's a lot of bother, and the resulting devices aren't portable or tactically flexible, and would probably be buggy and hard to make work flawlessly.  It's just another version of the Belfries... which I removed from the mod.

On Diplomacy... I haven't said "no", I've said, "maybe, but I have reservations".  I'll have to test Diplomacy a bit, and see to what extent it allows players to game the system by gaining things without having to fight, or getting out of fights.  I'll take a look at when working on build 1.07.

I'll have to test Diplomacy a bit, and see to what extent it allows players to game the system by gaining things without having to fight, or getting out of fights.  I'll take a look at when working on build 1.07.

From my experience Diplomacy isn't all that powerful from the player perspective.  You can send an emissary to "Conclude a nonaggression treaty" which amounts to either a 20 or 30 day truce between the two factions, if the other faction agrees.  In my games, most times they refuse.  Then you'll see where other AI factions are concluding trade agreements, defensive pacts and alliances.  I've never been able to do this, even while test cheating I spent 120000 denars sending gifts to other factions.  One choice is you spend 6000 to send horses to the faction and get 2 or 3 points to the relationship.  You can also handover fiefs for 5 points IIRC.  So I had 55 - 65 points with a faction and I had the nonaggression treaty in place but there were no other options to do trade agreements or the like.  Perhaps I'm missing a step somewhere but it seems those agreements are AI specific.

Longterm, I think you do more fighting in Diplomacy because once your own faction is 1/3 of the map, or so, you're lucky to have one faction as a friend as the others you've been fighting create alliances and suddenly instead of warring with two, you're at war with all but one and in some cases at war with all of them.  You get a peace offer and take it, but then an alliance is reissued and suddenly two days after making peace you're back at war with that faction.

Diplomacy is great for delegation within your own faction.  At least, that's what I love about it.  Pay someone to gather recruits for you at over double the costs I think, you risk losing the recruits to various scum, plus you can't pick and choose this way so you may end up with sarranid skirmishers when all you want from them are troops from the mamluke branch.  You can send gifts to lords and ladies, but this isn't an easy task because you must gather the goods that the system will use in order to send them.  Also, you pay to send them and then risk loosing the caravan to the various scum wandering around.  Three Oils to a lord gets you 5 points added to the relationship.  That can get very expensive as does three velvets to a lady for +5, so without test cheating, I'd never even consider sending those gifts.

Among lots of other minute things, there are also government settings available to the player and AI, but I've not seen any real differences in economy nor the troops that lords generally employ.  I think it boils down to faction relationships based on government choices, but I could be wrong!~

For me, the best qualities from that mod are the customized patrols where you can pick troop type and quantity of the patrol from the garrison and where to send it, the treasury system so you aren't forced to carry your fortune around with you... imagine that... and the ability to release lord prisoners for either honor gain or because the faction is gone and you're stuck with them.  Recruiters are great, but you already have that covered, albeit differently.

For me, the best qualities from that mod are the customized patrols where you can pick troop type and quantity of the patrol from the garrison and where to send it, the treasury system so you aren't forced to carry your fortune around with you... imagine that... and the ability to release lord prisoners for either honor gain or because the faction is gone and you're stuck with them.  Recruiters are great, but you already have that covered, albeit differently.
That all sounds reasonable.  I was thinking about patrols in the future anyhow.

And I was already thinking that the "alliance vs. player" thing once the balance tips sounded good.  I just hadn't gotten around to coding it.

But it also sounds like there are a lot of features that wouldn't be compatible (the economy is 100% not like Native, and doesn't behave the same at all), so whatever I end up doing will have to be custom-built for the mod.

That all sounds reasonable.  I was thinking about patrols in the future anyhow.
I had read that and it's great news.  I think you should seriously consider allowing the player to pick and choose troop type.  Also, the quantity limit is based on the players current troop capacity in the other mod, you may want to consider that as well.
And I was already thinking that the "alliance vs. player" thing once the balance tips sounded good.  I just hadn't gotten around to coding it.
Hmm, that would definately punish the player... if you're into that sort of thing.  But, this is your baby and I, for one, am enjoying the hell out of it. 
But it also sounds like there are a lot of features that wouldn't be compatible (the economy is 100% not like Native, and doesn't behave the same at all), so whatever I end up doing will have to be custom-built for the mod.
For sure, that one is Native based, but you should check out the custom recruiters, the patrols and the caravans.  I do enjoy it but your system has led to neglect on my part, haven't played it since I installed yours.  IMHO, you should just add, or rather, implement similar behaviors for what you like when you try it out.  Maybe do a poll for your players so they can vote for features to include on a restricted list of X number of features from that mod.  You already have my votes.  :mrgreen:

that would definately punish the player... if you're into that sort of thing.
Not so much to be evil, hehe.  I built Casual Gamer mode, after all.  I'm really not into being mean to players, if that's not what they want. 

I'm thinking on Normal and Mommy (especially Mommy, where I guess it just isn't hard enough, based on opinions thus far) that it would add to the late-game challenge (and, hopefully fun), to have to face the combined wrath of the rest of the fragmented Empire.  Nothing like having multple armies of 3000 guys apiece trying to take yer towns to convince you that yup, Mommy is hard, I daresay :wink:

Oh, then by all means, sock it to those blasted naysayers!  There, that is my official request.

Though, I wouldn't know about Mommy, never go there until I have a good solid feel for things.

This has been copied from your reply to my post on the B&S 1.05 bug report topic as this topic seems more in keeping with this subtopic from my original post.

How about investing in Mill-like improvements for villages?

I'm open to suggestions about ideas in this area.  One thing I've thought about is making it possible to build forts with small auto-patrols, so that late-game, the various raiders get thinned out a lot.  The problem with this idea is that I'd have to give it to the AI as well, and that could get tricky.

UnQuote

If you turn to M&B repository for Mount and Blade (original) Mods, you will find a mod called Prophesy of Pendor (PoP) ver. 2.5. The person or people responsible for that mod have done a terrific job of including improvements. It's entirely possible that they borrowed the ideas from others, but they have included a whole raft of them. You might want to check them out.

-sj

Do the battles not continue even if you are killed in Blood and Steel? If they don't, is that a feature that would be easy enough to put in?

They don't, currently.

That one's been asked for a couple of times.  I'll see if I can figure out a trigger for that behavior in 1.07 that won't prevent the usual behaviors- this has been done a few times, so I presume there's some utility code I can use.  I won't be able to squeeze that into 1.06.

Tax System:

This allows you to choose where you want high, medium, or low taxes on your towns, fiefs, and castles. Low taxes increase population quicker then the other options. Medium has a medium amount of growth and high taxes can either hurt the population or have a very small increase. This can also increase or decrease the village opinion of you.

1.06 save game compatible or no??
No.  But it fixes lots of bugs and adds lots of cool stuff :smile:  Sorry, I'd avoid breaking them if I could... but adding new Scenes is 100% guaranteed to break savegames, by causing massive weirdness. 

I'm about convinced that breaking savegames is just going to have to be totally normal for this mod, because most of the new features I want to add are in that category of items that break 'em.  Just how it goes.

Tax System
I like that idea for a tax system- if I added that to a random chance of villages revolting and refusing to pay any taxes at all, if taxes are set too high for too long, it'd be a reasonable simulation without being too complex and messy- "low, medium and high" is about as complex of a tax system as I think is fun, personally. 

That, and brutal dictator types will enjoy putting down peasant revolts... er, I meant "remonstrating with gangs" or whatever phrase is currently fashionable amongst dictators these days (did I mention that I want to build a karma system at some point?).

Anyhow, that sounds doable.  I'll put it on the list for 1.07.

Back
Top Bottom