Feasts by Bloc

Users who are viewing this thread

Callum IRL:
tumblr_nd31mtICH11rp1voro4_250.gif

Whats that from?

Reason asking is just watched Ottoman Empire on the Netflix and it was fricken awesome - highly recommend to any military strategy history buffs on the fall (or Rise) of Constantinople

84e6c12ae3070d41c1d20b495b141f9a563dcead.gifv
Is it actually that good? I always thought it looked like one of those pseudohistorical nationalistic films, like so many other history/war films (from all sides).

@Callum would it please be possible if you could ask for us what particular in-game "other systems" would be broken by lords having feasts in peacetime?

Other systems means spaghetti code that developers don't want to touch because they don't want to mess up the console launch (which is anyhow doomed, since this isn't a console game).

NEVER EVER watch the "normal" version but the directors cut. Then it´s good but not historical accurate.

Like with never ever play Bannerlord without banners without mods, you can do it and watch it how the designers thought, but don´t! Deus Vult!

Other systems means spaghetti code that developers don't want to touch because they don't want to mess up the console launch (which is anyhow doomed, since this isn't a console game).
Will sell like meth on consoles, those peasants never had anything else but Warband (without mods) in the PS360 area. And even we PC chads are not impressed but have no alternative to this game, yet!

Better companies may have noticed those impressive EA sales and even Electronic Arts can´t **** up a game even harder. They may be able to kill Battlefield but make a worse Bannerlord copy game (moddable 1000+ troop unit engine) from now on in 3 years, nope.

That´s why the genius design decision team of TW will make Space and Lasers, the game that will have like 10% of X4:Foundation (and mods) features after 2 years of EA release. But Space and Lasers won´t have the Warband crowd around, it´s just Space and Lasers, a mediocre game around one better game.

A company with a "design" team behind and money to remake Warband but calls it "Dorkband", count me in! I won´t miss the Warband/Bannerlord "lore".

Last edited:
Kingdom of Heaven

Ahh forgot that one -was decent

Is it actually that good? I always thought it looked like one of those pseudohistorical nationalistic films, like so many other history/war films (from all sides).

Well it is DocuDrama - half acted out half narrated by historians. The actor do a fantastic job tho imo - the guy playing Mehmed as well as the Genovese mercenary leader were outstanding.

Also just that story is unbelievable -i never knew about the Sultans naval strategy to get around the Sea Chain as well as just some other really cool strategies such as the Genovese Mercenary fighting abilities.

Overall i really enjoyed it and would watch again

However, it isn't like the design team hasn't looked at implementing feasts in some manner before rejecting the idea. I believe it mainly comes down to the sort of impact that having lords visit and spend time in other settlements would have on other systems in the game.
I've been away from the forums for awhile, but I do check in from time to time, and I have to say that this is the most depressing thing I've read in 2 years of early access. The impact of having lords gather in a settlement for a few days is too heavy for the game's systems to handle. Think about that for awhile.

I've argued since the beginning of this EA that the game's systems were way more complex than they ever had a reason to be. Too dynamic, too interconnected, and too fragile. Its a house of cards in a hurricane. Change one minor parameter somewhere and kingdoms starve in their keeps.

Warband didn't have these issues and was a lot more solid because it wasn't trying to be an actual simulation. The systems were cheated. The economy reset every week so economic crashes didn't last long. Caravans and peasant parties traveled the world delivering nothing but abstract prosperity bumps, they weren't trusted to deliver the actual food and supplies kingdoms needed to survive. Food supply only ever became an issue when a fief was under siege, it wasn't even a factor at other times. Lords generated troops from a party template, they weren't all competing for the same pool of recruits like starving chickens.

The game created a pretty good illusion of a procedural simulation by faking most of the key systems. But the most important thing was that the systems were ROBUST. They self-corrected and could withstand any shocks to the system and keep on rolling along.

Meanwhile Bannerlord can't handle feasts because this wobbly tower of tangled systems might collapse under the added strain of having a few lords sit in one place for too long. WTF?

P.S. This doesn't bode well for mods, if you ask me. Its always been my fear that this tenuous balance would only hold for this particular configuration of settlements and geography. Will it still work on an entirely new map with a different arrangement of fiefs or is each modder going to have to spend 2 years meticulously balancing everything from scratch just to make sure that their caravans are getting where they need to go?

I've been away from the forums for awhile, but I do check in from time to time, and I have to say that this is the most depressing thing I've read in 2 years of early access. The impact of having lords gather in a settlement for a few days is too heavy for the game's systems to handle. Think about that for awhile.

I've argued since the beginning of this EA that the game's systems were way more complex than they ever had a reason to be. Too dynamic, too interconnected, and too fragile. Its a house of cards in a hurricane. Change one minor parameter somewhere and kingdoms starve in their keeps.

Warband didn't have these issues and was a lot more solid because it wasn't trying to be an actual simulation. The systems were cheated. The economy reset every week so economic crashes didn't last long. Caravans and peasant parties traveled the world delivering nothing but abstract prosperity bumps, they weren't trusted to deliver the actual food and supplies kingdoms needed to survive. Food supply only ever became an issue when a fief was under siege, it wasn't even a factor at other times. Lords generated troops from a party template, they weren't all competing for the same pool of recruits like starving chickens.

The game created a pretty good illusion of a procedural simulation by faking most of the key systems. But the most important thing was that the systems were ROBUST. They self-corrected and could withstand any shocks to the system and keep on rolling along.

Meanwhile Bannerlord can't handle feasts because this wobbly tower of tangled systems might collapse under the added strain of having a few lords sit in one place for too long. WTF?

P.S. This doesn't bode well for mods, if you ask me. Its always been my fear that this tenuous balance would only hold for this particular configuration of settlements and geography. Will it still work on an entirely new map with a different arrangement of fiefs or is each modder going to have to spend 2 years meticulously balancing everything from scratch just to make sure that their caravans are getting where they need to go?

You right. Basically it admits the games systems are too fragile like a house of cards -and they simply arent dedicated to taking a good hard look at them. Why should they? It would mean more increased Zoom meetings and would deprive the Committee of Nay another opportunity to say "nay". They love doing that.

You could be on something here. Recently I played RoT mod which has quite the big map and economy is totally broken. Don’t know if that is the reason but would make sense.

I agree that a needless amount of complexity was introduced to the background economic systems of Bannerlord. This has used a huge amount of dev time that could have been spent on more player-facing systems that actually make the game fun. But it's too late to change that now.

Callum also didn't specify what systems would be broken. I'm very confused as to exactly what would be negatively affected by, say, a third of the kingdom's lords staying in one place for a week during peacetime.

What system is supposed to be broken by them?

Economy? Lord parties do buy food, but just wherever they happen to be at the time, they don't act as an equalising factor like caravans, which will keep running despite the feast. Plus, any lords who aren't invited will still be out there buying too. I can't see a third of lord parties being gone for a week bankrupting a town.

Bandit dispersal? Lords not hunting looters is potentially a problem but bandit spawns need to be toned down anyway, adding manhunters, one day's work for one guy - as Bloc demonstrated - can fix that problem. Also lords fail to catch looter parties half the time anyway.

It can't cause any military problems because we're asking for feasts to occur during peacetime.

As it stands whenever I want to see Rhagaea during peace she seems to be chilling in Onira doing nothing anyway (don't change it I like it), and that doesn't break the economy.

Last edited:

This is actually the most depressing thing I've read since I've had this game about 6-7 months now. If this is remotely true, which at this time seems to be the case due to the way things are going, I am thinking this is changing from a potentially great game to a total flop!
If this game can not handle major mods, then there is no way people will play the vanilla version even a finished/polished one for more than a couple of hours, drop a negative review on steam and move on to the next game.
This is very disconcerting!

I believe you just hit the nail on the head. Makes me sad. Every little change needs a lot of testing on the vanilla game. I am now also afraid of the impact it can have on overhaul mods.

Very good points!

I mean I always prefer the AI playing after the same rules as the player but if it comes at the cost that the AI can´t really handle it then let the AI cheat (like in Warband) as long as it isn´t too obvious.

Back
Top Bottom