Favourite Authors!

Users who are viewing this thread

Aight.  I have noticed that there is no "Favourite Author" threads up in here.  So, post thy favourite author here (or a list of 'em.)

Terry Goodkind
R.A. Salvatore
/sarcasm  Stephanie Meyer /endsarcasm

Bernard Cornwell - I think his description of the battles is quite good and I'm quite interested about historical novels.

Mika Waltari - Sinuhe the egyptian is an epic book. The author writes really well and the story was really interesting. I haven't read enough stuff about ancient Egypt, plus he's Finnish.

Scott Lynch - I haven't read much sci-fi, but the future in his books is really interesting.Don't know how original he's though.

Glen Cook - I like reading dark fantasy. There aren't that many books about the people who fight on the "evil" side.

George Orwell - I liked both Animal farm and 1984. 1984 was the better one because it actually is a great book about living in a totalitarian country. Also reading what inventions he could predict is quite interesting.

George R. R. Martin - His characters are awesome and even more awesome is that they die from time to time. I also like that there's not that much magic in the books.

I'll add more when I remember them.

David Gemmel
Bernard Cornwell
Dan Abnett
Douglas Adams

Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman seem alright, but I've only read Dragonlance so I'm not certain how good anything else is.

You guys should put some kind of reason or description beside each author. Otherwise it's just "A list of **** I like" and is of no real interest.

No offence

Let us not break the combo:

Bernard Cornwell. Why? The ol' man like a bit o' war, I guess, so he describes them with lots of details and ****. The only thing I don't like is that in... well, most of his series, the story sounds like a bad MMORPG: "And the protagonist X goes to town Y with the army, but there villain Z kills X's best friend, B, so X swears revenge on Z" and that is followed by pretty much running from village to village, town to town. Sure I like it how he adds detail to it, but deep down all the stories have the same structure. Still, reading the battle of Crecy was awesome.

And that's pretty much my only "favorite" author. I could have said Tolkien, but that's absolutely... cliche. It's just like someone saying "oooh, I like Shakespeare, Allan Poe...". Actually, nevermind me.

Robin Hobb/Megan Lindholm and David Farland

And I used to like Brian Jacques. I plan to get into his books again

I seriously love the Tolkien books, so J.R.R Tolkien is a must however 'cliche' it may be.
Same goes for Redwall, so Brain Jacques aswell.
Matthew Reilly ranks too, because his books are so full of action.

Bernard Cornwell (best historical author I've yet read. His books are all twenty times better than the rubbish Scarrow or Iggulden write)
Douglas Adams (the man was an absolute legend. Not only is Hitchhikers Guide... brilliant, but so is Dirk Gently and I also happen to agree with most of the stuff he wrote in articles etc.)
Steven Erikson ('The Malazan Book of the Fallen' is possibly my favourite fantasy series. Only 'A Song of Ice and Fire' and maybe 'Lord of the Rings' can compete for me)
GRR Martin (Pretty much as above)
Bill Bryson (The funniest travel writer I've ever read. Plus he's the Chancellor of Durham Uni, and I'm hanging on their offer - so if anyone on the Admissions team is reading...)
Philip Pullman (I loved 'His Dark Materials' and also them Victorian books he wrote.)
Robert Harris ('Archangel' and 'Fatherland' were both great thrillers/detective stories whatever. And then his series on Cicero is really, really good historical fiction imo.)
Cormac McCarthy (Purely on the strength of 'The Road' being so goddamn amazing.)

Tolkien is in no way cliche, I say!

Tolkien - He spent 45 years working on the LOTR books; let's see Salvatore top that!  And his other works are equally great.  No fantasy author has ever or will ever touch him.

Mark Twain - Satire and deep meaning behind laid-back stories.  One of his characters jousts King Arthur's knights with a lasso and six-shooters, that's pretty awesome so far as I'm concerned.

Isaac Asimov - The Grand Master of science fiction.  A classic author of the American style and a scientific prophet.

Raymond E. Feist (Only read the conclave of shadows, krondor and riftwar books. Still my favourite.)
Janny Wurts (Similar reasons to The above. Couldn't say why, just like 'em. A lot.)
Terry Pratchett (As above, though different.)
Others, but the names aren't popping into my head at the moment. No access to the books, and I forget names easily.

Back
Top Bottom