Favorite/Least Favorite Troop

Users who are viewing this thread

Ishapar

Regular
So which troop in the game is your favorite and least favorite troop? It doesn't have to be a top-tier unit; if your favorite is a farmer than it is legit. Feel free to explain why you like this unit in M&B.

I guess I'll start off. Mine has to be the mamluke. The first time I encountered them I was very intimidated by their horses and helmet/armor. I saw plenty of Swadian Knights before and didn't swat an eye, but I was intimidated when I saw the mamlukes charging across the desert sands. I think their armor has that mixture of mystery and terror due to the veiled helmet, and the armor stats are a good step up from other Sarranid units. Their two handed maces are amazingly good both on horseback and on foot, and those maces allow them to hold their own even against Rhodok Sergeants and Nord Huscurls in siege defense. While Swadian Knights are more powerful in charging, mamlukes are better riders which allows them to keep up with faster calvary like the Lancers or Horse Archers. They are also more affordable than knights and will usually trump any other calvary unit in even numbers other than a knight. I usually like to ally myself to the Sarranids so I can get access to these troops.

For least favorite, I'd have to say the caravan guard. They are mid tier units for the mercenary line, so you are required to have them if trying to get hired blades/mercenary calvary. Their main flaw is that they are not really effective at fighting most units. Their only advantage in a fight is that they are mounted, but it's pretty easy to dehorse them. Their weapons are subpar for a calvary unit, and once dehorsed they don't fight well against ground units. Even on easy mode, if I was to lose a unit in my army, it would most likely be the caravan guard. It doesn't help that most caravans are comprised mostly of guards, so the caravans don't really stand a chance against even bandit groups unless they outnumber them.

Favorite is Swadian sergeant
Least is Vaegir marksman
I agree with Sarranid Mamlukes's aethetics
you probably should visit "the sage's guild"

Favorite is Swadian sergeant
Least is Vaegir marksman
I agree with Sarranid Mamlukes's aethetics
you probably should visit "the sage's guild"
Swadian sergeant? He's an underrated fellow. What is about him that you like?
What is at the "Sage's Guild?"

Swadian Knights are the poster child of Warband. I favor them because I favor power, and they are unmatched in their role of dominating field battles. Mamelukes have a chance of spawning with a glorified, slightly more agile variant of a Saddle Horse. They have better Riding skill, and can take prisoners with Iron Maces, but they have weaker armor overall, though not dramatically so. Forgot to mention that Mamelukes also cost less to upgrade to, 80 denars vs Swadian Knights 120, meaning you can get 25 additional Mamelukes for the same price of 100 Swadian Knights. No point in mentioning the other weak cavalry options.

Least favorite is the Nord Huscarl. It doesn't deserve to be the only T6 unit. Its armor is no better than what Mamelukes use, with all but its One Handed Battle Axe being weak weaponry, and even this is only useful against a player, who is actually able to use a shield well in melee. Its throwing weapons are not guaranteed to spawn, and are too few in number, not to mention it becomes vulnerable to ranged attack when the Huscarl throws them. Its shield is the only good thing, being able to survive even more ranged attacks than the Heavy Board Shield used by the Rhodok Sergeant, although this is soley due to higher Shield skill. It costs 90 more denars than a Swadian Knight, 130 more than other T5 units, and it takes even longer to train than either of the aforementioned units. It's inefficiency incarnate. And it's rare. An untouched Wercheg, at max difficulty, only had 30 Huscarls 1 year later. Meanwhile, in Yalen, also untouched, over 90 Rhodok Sergeants were ready to ruin my day. Which would you rather fight, 30 Huscarls, or 91-99 Rhodok Sergeants, even if not 1 Sergeant had a Military Hammer? One last thing; untouched means it wasn't hit with a siege, so troops were able to upgrade without interference.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom