faster reloading or improved accuracy

Users who are viewing this thread

something which really bothers me in this awesome mod is the slow reloading time of the guns. I know IRL it takes much longer but I can only shoot 2 rounds untill the bots reach our base. Also the guns are so inaccurate. So I think it would be better to improve one of these two, not both. :p

I'm sorry for bad english  :wink:

Well, getting a good shot takes practice. :smile:

I'd suggest playing against bots in a local server would do you good.
Especially if there's only 5 of them (no massing, more aiming) during a Team Deathmatch.

Then there is also the option of playing with a friend, firing from different stages of the map, then moving back when you feel that the stage is done.
Loading time should be no problem. You have friends around you during invasion/siege/battle and sometimes during TDM.
Probably the best would to sit in a TeamSpeak with others going: "Woot, woot. Shoot that guy. Aaaaaah! Another one! **** WE OWN THIS GAME!"
In other moments there could be the "oh-****-we're-screwed"-reaction from your friends, but that's just human, like the first one.

I hope that I gave you good advice and... Ehh... A good reply.

-----Kapten Samuel J. Ahonen av Älvsborgsregemente (The Deluge)
-----Fältöverste Samuel J. Ahonen av Den Kungliga Arméen (Mount & Musket)

mathijsius009 said:
something which really bothers me in this awesome mod is the slow reloading time of the guns. I know IRL it takes much longer but I can only shoot 2 rounds untill the bots reach our base. Also the guns are so inaccurate. So I think it would be better to improve one of these two, not both. :p

Wait faster reloading?
I think they will make it way slower in the next patches! Reloading is tooo fast at the moment :grin:

Hinkel84 said:
mathijsius009 said:

Wait faster reloading?
I think they will make it way slower in the next patches! Reloading is tooo fast at the moment :grin:

Then remove ammo. 1 shot ( miss) and in hand-to-hand.

If you have a steady defence of pikemen, you will be fine. Play any Invasion mod and you see that a force of only bows/muskets/whatever will never work.

the guns reload perfectly fine I think. You need pikes and other infantry to keep the bots off you while you reload and switch to a sword when you have to.

In battles it would be especially bad to increase reload speed.

It may also be that sometimes you know you are going to miss but might as well try. Sometimes you scuff your shot and sometimes you rush your shot. I think its mainly human errors.

mathijsius009 said:

As others have said theirs a reason why this is called the "Pike&Musket" era and not the "Musket" era.

Matchlock muskets had to be loaded with a ramrod and you had to charge your priming pan just like with the later flintlock, unlike the flintlock however the matchlock also required you to light a match (hence the name), and people had yet to discover that the ball and powder could be wrapped up into one item, so yes reloading took even longer than during Napoleonic times.

If your having trouble fighting as a Musketeer its because your team does not have enough melee fighters on it, Two pike men working together can actually kill many bots before they are Zerglinged if they know what they are doing.

Tareth said:
Well, getting a good shot takes practice. :smile:

what? you know practice changes pretty much nothing when the direction arc of the bullet is pretty much random

since it can go anywhere inside the large crosshair its not about practice its about luck

Fenix_120 said:
As others have said theirs a reason why this is called the "Pike&Musket" era and not the "Musket" era.

Matchlock muskets had to be loaded with a ramrod and you had to charge your priming pan just like with the later flintlock, unlike the flintlock however the matchlock also required you to light a match (hence the name), and people had yet to discover that the ball and powder could be wrapped up into one item, so yes reloading took even longer than during Napoleonic times.

If your having trouble fighting as a Musketeer its because your team does not have enough melee fighters on it, Two pike men working together can actually kill many bots before they are Zerglinged if they know what they are doing.

It's not so much that no one had discovered or thought of a way to put ball & powder together as a cartridge but that there was no standardisation in terms of bore sizes & calibre of balls. This is in the days prior to the 'shot tower' where thousands of lead balls pretty much the same size could be made in a single day in one  tower. Be terrible to be halfway through loading your wheellock only to find that the bullet is too big for your guns muzzle and you have to hunt through all of your cartridges to find a ball the right size or have all your bullets be the wrong size. Once standardisation came into play, with the same firearm being used through the entire army (like the British army 'Brown Bess'), then standardised ammunition came into play in paper wrapped cartridges.

The time it takes to reload our matchlocks, wheellocks and snaplocks is far, far faster than in reality. It took 30 seconds to 2 minutes dependant upon conditions & capability. It's why formations of musketers fought in blocks 7-10 ranks deep - first rank fires, retreats to the rear to reload. Second rank fires, retreats. Third rank fires & retreats, all the way through the formation until the first rank comes to the fore again and can sight & fire on the enemy. Obviously this would be damned difficult to replicate in M&B and sitting there waiting for 2 minutes doing nothing is not desired by anyone. There is a fine balance, I think, that they've managed to find with firearms in the mod so far and I'd be worried about disturbing that.

rapier17 said:
Fenix_120 said:

It's not so much that no one had discovered or thought of a way to put ball & powder together as a cartridge but that there was no standardisation in terms of bore sizes & calibre of balls. This is in the days prior to the 'shot tower' where thousands of lead balls pretty much the same size could be made in a single day in one  tower. Be terrible to be halfway through loading your wheellock only to find that the bullet is too big for your guns muzzle and you have to hunt through all of your cartridges to find a ball the right size or have all your bullets be the wrong size. Once standardisation came into play, with the same firearm being used through the entire army (like the British army 'Brown Bess'), then standardised ammunition came into play in paper wrapped cartridges.

The time it takes to reload our matchlocks, wheellocks and snaplocks is far, far faster than in reality. It took 30 seconds to 2 minutes dependant upon conditions & capability. It's why formations of musketers fought in blocks 7-10 ranks deep - first rank fires, retreats to the rear to reload. Second rank fires, retreats. Third rank fires & retreats, all the way through the formation until the first rank comes to the fore again and can sight & fire on the enemy. Obviously this would be damned difficult to replicate in M&B and sitting there waiting for 2 minutes doing nothing is not desired by anyone. There is a fine balance, I think, that they've managed to find with firearms in the mod so far and I'd be worried about disturbing that.

If the modders will add western factions then the loading time of swedish muskets will probebly be faster as they did reload three times faster then the rest of the western musketeers. But raising it to three times faster then every one else though is over kill so just alittle faster. Mostly because the western super powers (spain, france, holy roman empire (austria)) had better pikemen then sweden, they were heavier and had longer pikes.
Those nations used musketeers as support for pikes while the swedish army used pikes as support for the musketeers.

When and if wester factions will be added a re-balance will be needed where the pikes are the western factions main soldier and the musket is the swedish soldier  :grin: :grin: :grin:

Sergeant Tristan said:
I doubt they'll add western European faction ...

Well they have stated in the wester faction thread that it is a possibility they just don't reject. Slavomir wrote that they might even make a thirty years war theme if there are enough western factions.

But we all know that it wount happen over a night.

Muskets were not meant to aim to single targets, they were generally used against large groups of enemies by more than one shooter. I've read about particular flintlock hunting rifles used by marksmen which were pretty accurate (G.Parker, "The Military Revolution"), but I guess those were exceptions.

The game takes 7 seconds to reload your musket, while good musketeers spent 1 minute if not more to reload their matchlocks in a very complex sequence of 40 different movements (according to de Gheyn's "Drill book", 1610) or something similar, this without talking about the match-cord, which had to be kept burning: once wet, it could have been a problem to have it on fire again. I think that the reloading time is even too kind.  :grin:

Workaholic said:
It would be good that accuracy increases while crouching.

I love that idea. Would you mind to post it in official suggestions thread?

Back
Top Bottom