SP - Player, NPCs & Troops Factions within the Party and Strategic Leadership

Users who are viewing this thread

From my experience and listening to many others' opinions, I've seen that many complain about how we have basically no interaction with our companions, except someone popping up, regretting the villagers we have slaughtered. Our relationship with our party members has little to no impact on our decision-making process. So I have a few suggestions to improve this part of the game.

1- This is fairly easy to implement. Significant, exponentially increasing morale hits due to... travelling at night! Morale buffs for staying at an inn. This would be a massively immersive feature to make us actually feel like a leader commanding humans and not robots. These morale hits should also cover travelling on challenging terrain (for example deserts for troops of races other than Aserai) and weather so that seasons and terrain have an impact on the game and are not merely cosmetic.

2- While accomodating in a city (it should be made less affordable for larger parties) give us ways to entertain our troops. Maybe hiring a bard, traditional theatre plays and another service that could change the content rating of the game but if it does not, I'd love to see it in the game without graphic sexuality.

3- This is the game-changer feature I would like to recommend. Every party should have several factions that could be led by companions. Please do come up with more but I could think of only two of them: principalists and adventurers. Soldier slots while recruiting eases the implementation of this system, every soldier we are to recruit from a city or a village would have a symbol over them signalling to which faction these soldiers would join. Some cultures could be prone to join the adventurer faction, Battanians and Khuzaits, I guess. These factions would gain party influence as more companions or soldiers join them and voice their demands. If the party leader fails to keep the balance between these demands, the other side will grow more rebellious and they would desert or fight the leader of the party to seize the wealth and the inventory before leaving. Principalists could dislike fighting unarmed or unworthy enemies, raiding villages or fleeing from battle while the adventurers would pressure the leader to join a battle or start pillaging villages after a duration of peace.

4- Racial plurality should ruin the party morale, we should resort to hiring mercenaries when we cannot hire from the primary culture we determined. Oh, that being said, the character's culture should also have an impact on this, party leaders with the Empire culture should lead multi-ethnic parties easier. Leaders with the same culture as their army should get a party morale bonus.

5- Conflicts between the troops and companions! These could pop up as we travel, as a soldier would talk with us or we would see notice that something is wrong on the log and talk with our companions to investigate it. Thefts, duels, ethnic and religious conflicts (Imperial troops could mock the Aserai troops' religion) etc. We should, as a leader, resolve the conflict or assign a companion to do it. That companion should, however, has a massive increase in influence (which could pose some danger in in-party politics) and if they join a faction, they should act partially and result in a threatening decrease in morale.

6- Party feasts, setting up an in-party melee or archery competitions, party camp scenes where we can converse with our troops while resolving party conflicts. These would also be appreciated if added to the game. Oh, and please do not rely on modders in this regard. Party management is extremely simplistic in the game and it must be one of the core gameplay mechanics, as these peeps are with whom we spend all of our time.

7- As all of my suggestions were in some way or another connected to party morale, it should be a value that has more implications on the game. Parties with lower morale should move slower and be much more prone to flee from a battle.

These are all I could think of. I really think Taleworlds can and must not rely on modders to add these features to the base game. After waiting for 8 years, the game really needs additional mechanics, and I believe the developers will add those in during the early access process, but I would consider the game incomplete without detailed party management. Thank you!

Last edited:
Love the suggestions.
I would also like being able to command my companions. "Go fight the war, Train and recruit your troops, get me x units of specific type, go chill, you deserve some rest". Each giving a standing with them and depending on the reward you give them , they like you more/less.
And lets be real: What is medieval army game without a brothel, even if there is no explicit sexual content. Modders will add that anyway, if you want it.

Thanks! Yep, that's right. Modders could add it but as you said, brothels are a need in this game. I'd rather Taleworlds do it themselves! Also yeah, companions should be more... useful, so to speak. These concise commands would be very handy, yet getting our companions to do many things for personal comfort should have some implications as well, for example, when you send a companion that you found in the inn that morning to recruit some troops with 1000 golds, they might run away with the troops you have given them for his/her safety while recruiting, especially if companion and the troops were in the adventurer faction. This would be much more fun than simply clicking commands, as we would have to evaluate the situation and make decisions. :razz:

I guess you could depend that on the character. Whether they are deceitful or honorable as well as if they like you or not.
And you should really be able to bust someone out of prison by bribing the guards or killing your way out. I think buying them out works already, if the steward is present?

I think so, that should also apply to your soldiers as well I think, I don't know if I missed that but, PoW exchanges should be made available. Fighting your way out was already present in Warband if I am not mistaken, so that must also be added to the game. I've seen this on another suggestion but I want to repeat it as it's related, knives and other secret-ish weapons should be usable in such a mission. I hope Taleworlds staff takes a look at these sections of the forum!

Back
Top Bottom