Faction Snowballing: An Autopsy

Users who are viewing this thread

Hans 77

Knight at Arms
Yeah, it's bad and it's killing the sp experience. I've played a decent number of hours in sp, and apparently some of you have played for much longer, so please add your inputs in. The purpose of this post is to try and diagnose the cause of this terminal, game-breaking bug.

To me, it's being caused by a number of cross-complications:

1. When a lord loses big time in a battle, they get absolutely wiped out and it takes a long time for them to recover.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing by itself. In Warband, if you played on Campaign Difficulty set to hard, AI lords could respawn their entire army in 2-3 days even after getting completely annihilated. This was extremely frustrating and one of the most heavily criticized features of Warband. Not only was it annoying because you literally had to face an endless horde of enemies non-stop with no time for you and your troops to recover, but it also hurt the immersion, because it made battles feel less important. Instead of a campaign consisting of a few key battles that broke the back of the enemy's military strength -culminating with a siege of one of their main settlements, there was instead this nightmare of neverending fights that ultimately felt so draining.

I think Taleworlds made the right move by extending the recovery time AI lords need to rebuild and retrain their forces. I believe economic factors (fief ownership, settlement prosperity, personal wealth) also play a part in how well lords can bounce back from a loss. This too is good and builds immersion.

But, when this feature -designed in good faith, is coupled with factor number...

2. Extremely aggressive and relentless campaign AI

Now we have a problem.

I'll start with a Warband anecdote. In a few of my sp campaigns, I would do these "blitzkriegs" once I started my own kingdom. Once I had all my resources squared away, I'd go to war with another faction and wipe them out entirely in one single campaign. When I really pushed the pace, I'd be taking a city/castle a day, only pausing to stop at my garrisons and replace any troops I had lost by attrition. Within days, I annexed the entirety of the enemy's territory.

Well, the AI in Bannerlord puts my blitzkriegs to shame!

Seriously, it's like they're driven by some invisible, desperate desire to conquer as many settlements in as little time as possible. The AI conducts war at an absolutely grueling pace.

It's like they're on a personal crusade to wipe all their enemies off the face of Calradia. They don't eat. They don't sleep. And they absolutely do not stop until they are dead.

In Warband, after a settlement was taken, many of the victorious lords would disperse and attack targets individually, or they'd go home and lick any wounds they'd suffered in the campaign, or they'd celebrate by feasting. The war might still go on, but it wasn't imperative to besiege and assault the next nearest settlement before the next sunrise. Eventually, another settlement might be taken (or lost) and then, invariably, at some point peace would be declared.

In Bannerlord, all they know is non-stop total war. When this, combined with issue #1 -where defeated lords have trouble getting back on their feet, it makes for a slippery slope. Once one faction loses a key battle, they're toast, because the victorious kingdom will just keep battering their already defeated foes until they're completely wiped out.

The AI pretty much never stops to recover, celebrate, or have any down time.

3. The Army mechanic and its lack of limitations.

The marshal campaign feature in Warband saw many of the faction's lords rally around a chosen military leader for the purpose of saving a besieged settlement or laying siege to an enemy location. It was thrilling and visceral to see 1600 enemies outside of your town, and the subsequent siege is usually something for the ages. Vice versa, being part of that great host was also epic. But when it was all said and done, in victory or defeat, the huge marshaled army usually disbanded.

Not the case in Bannerlord.

The roving host the size of a small country, like a travelling circus, just rolls from one town to the next. This relates to issue #2, because they just don't stop. This gigantic unstoppable army tramples everything in its path, and there's nothing you (and especially the AI) can do about it. They don't disband. They don't scatter. They just keep winning.

You'd think such a massive number of people wouldn't be able to stay together so long due to logistics reasons (lack of food, water, fodder for horses and pack animals). Historically, great hosts weren't able to operate as one for long periods of time due to these reasons. They had a limited amount of time to complete their task before they had to split up and do their own thing.

In Bannerlord, shouldn't there be a similar time constraint on how long an army can operate in the field?

Perhaps armies should have their own food inventory slots that deplete over time? And once food runs out they have to break up? Or even if the devs set an arbitrary time limit on how long they can operate, with a set cool-down time.

Well, those are my thoughts on snowballing. Thanks for reading. If you have any insights on the issue please let me (and Taleworlds) know. Together we can make Bannerlord a truly awesome experience.

Last edited:
In Bannerlord, since I have a fief, I'm litterally submerged by cash. And tons of food is available to be bought everywhere. And manpower does not seems to be a real issue.

Clearly a good recipe for snowballing.

When snowballing faction took my city, i got like -30 relation with my king for some reason. I think ai lords lose relation with faction leader for just losing fiefs (not like in warband, for having 0 fiefs) , even if they will get reclaimed and it causes losing faction to lose lords at absurd fast rate.

Ai armies can run out of food and slowly lose numbers because of it. I have attached to their army and gotten influence per day for sharing food with the starving army. This stops the bleeding of men for that day.

The real issue is the armies just keep going and steamrolling and take settlement after settlement. Also imo the ai is too cautious when it comes to engaging the enemy. Sometimes one army will have 500 in it and the other army will have 450 and the smaller one will run away thinking its outclassed.

Also armys that come to help defend a siege wont engage the besiegers half the time due to the above problem so they'll just sit next to the town waiting for more backup while the enemy army goes and engages the settlement which is usually only a 100 man garrison tops.

If the army sent to relieve the city would have attacked the besiegers even if they lose they could inflict enough casualties to cause the other army to abandon the siege due to lack of manpower post battle.

Right now they dont use food, they will travel around broke and without food and it doesnt seem to play a part.

Also lords spawn outside of towns and are relentlessly pursued by the unending amounts of looters and bandits.

Also lords never stay in a town or castle for longer than2 days so they get like 1 or 2 troops or none at all and go carousing through the countryside always getting beat by everything and their grandmothers.

There needs to be a few things changed.

NPC's armies need to be affected by no food and low morale. The higher the army size the more food they consume,without food the larger the army the larger the morale is reduced. Once they reach X amount of low morale they should be forced to disband.

Lords need to spawn in towns and wait til they have a decent army again. Spawning outside and/or leaving before they have any troops is just idiotic. At the very minimum npc lords should respawn with a minimal amount of troops, just to keep a basic size of looters and raiders at bay. This gives the loosing lords a chance to resupply and counter attacks instead of this continuous spiral downwards of being caught and beat by a group 3 looters.

Just my two cents to help against this snowballing affect.

i also think enemies that loose get captured 100 percent of the time judging by all the messages of X lord was captured after loosing to X and in my experience every lord i have defeated i have been offered the choice to capture or release, it should be like warband where its a 50/50 chance to capture the lord
This means that there is less lords to build their forces(rare that they do) and defend their lands

I also think lords change factions to fast. Especially because of the cultural differences it should be less common to see that happen in bannerlord.

Additionally in reality towns often were only raided and not acutally conquered. Because holding new territory is very difficult and expensive.

Agree with everything you said, OP.

In my campaign, after giving the dragon banner to khuzaits and them declaring war to all empire factions right after that, they were literally destroyed in no more than 3 weeks in-game, going from having all of their starting cities and more to just one castle in that time. Pretty they only sent one army each and just steamrolled through. Right after that, most of the lords defected to other factions, leaving only 3 clans (including myself) in the faction.

Obviously, declaring war on 3 factions at the same time isn't the greatest idea, but still, just being deleted off the map in less than an hour of gameplay isn't really fun.

Back
Top Bottom