Faction basics for the unknowing.

Users who are viewing this thread

I've seen many threads pop up on questions regarding promotions and how to join factions and such, so I guessed a guide would do good.

How to Join a faction

So you decieded to take up arms for the crown of your country? Good. Now firstly, head to the countries capital. In this case, I will take London as example. Once you head to London and get into the city menu screen, head to the streets and wonder about for a bit. You will find an NPC named 'Army Recruiter', and he normally wears the uniform of the said country you wish to join. Talk to him and after a bit of conversation, you will join the country as an vassal! You will get 50 francs (The system of currency in the game) and a Rubbish Musquet for your troubles.

How to gain promotions

So now you've joined the army of your selected Country. You will start off as Private, regardless of nation. Now you must gain these points called 'renown'. Renown is a system of which you get noticed for each battle you win. Gaining renown is key to promotions. Now if you believe you have enough renown and your worthy of bigger rank, then head to your country's Military Depot. After you get there and you get into the Military Depot selection screen, click on the option 'Head to the Headquarters' or something similar. You should appear in this building. Head to your right and you will encounter an NPC named 'Army Liasion' or something similar to that. Speak to him, and select the option 'I believe I deserve an promotion'. He will judge how much renown you have, and determine if you have enough for the next rank. If you have enough, he will respond saying so. If you do not, he will respond in that manner. But don't worry, fighting for the king regardless of rank is its own reward! However, if you wish to go the easy way, you can buy commissions. Commissions are things you can buy to proceed in rank but there is a catch; they are pricy. Extremely pricey. A simple upgrade to Lieutenant is almost 13,000 francs!

How do I get army uniforms for my character?

You don't want to go into battle wearing nothing but a tunic and a hat, now do you? Of course not! In the Military Depot, you will have the option "Visit the Depot". Click on that option, and then select the option "Quartermaster" And you be brought to even more selections. Now there are three selections you can choose from; Cavalry, Infantry and Light Infantry. Now, Cavalry are troops whom fight on horseback; So if you are a leader of a company of horseman, this is the uniform for you! Infantry is well infantry; the stock troops who make up the backbone of the armies which serve your country! And light infantry are similar to the Infantry class, however they are much more quick and they use a certain type of weapon. After you choose which you lead, you will brought to a myriad of options. These options dictate which uniform you will choose. Now, depending on your nation, you will have several to choose from. They are certain of troops who have a certain uniform, and sometimes certain weapons. They have different purposes on the field, and are quite plentiful. Choose which uniform you want for which troop class, and you will brought to an selection screen, where you can buy the uniform of your selected choice. Now get out there and murder the opponents of your country!

Why do should I get promotions of the sort?

Well for one, you can lead more troops with an increase of rank. Second, You can dashing uniforms after a certain rank. And third, what kind of private leads a whole whopping 10+ men, let alone any sort of men? It just wouldn't seem right!

If you wish me to update this guide with more stuff to help the people, feel free to leave a reply.

You should probably edit it to include buying commissions and the prices. I see that alot of people asking that.

Thanks for this, I was wondering why Prussia wasn't giving me, their savior against the Russians, a vassalage

General von Hiller said:
MaccaUK said:
He's no grandpa. :wink:
damn knights acting like gmk's :wink:
Damn squires saying what a grandmaster knight should have said  :razz:
Anyway, Kermit, you should add the commission prices aswell, which are, apparently, as follows:
Takeda Shingen said:
Private - Starting Military Rank

Corporal - 50 Renown (Can't be bought with gold)

Sergeant - 100 Renown (Can't be bought with gold)

Sergeant-Major - 150 Renown (Can't be bought with gold)

Lieutenant - 200 Renown or 13750 Gold

Captain - 300 Renown or 37500 Gold

Major - 400 Renown or 65000 Gold

Colonel - 500 Renown (Can't be bought with gold)

Divisional General - 600 Renown (Can't be bought with gold)

Marshal - 700 Renown (Can't be bought with gold)

Does promotion really increase your party limit? The only effect I noticed so far was the raise of glorious 2 francs I got when I became a corporal.
Also, the liaison in Military Depots are actually "Regimental Liaisons", not "Army liaisons"  :wink:

There's a much better thread made by Comrade Temuzu, with much more info, and in the future everything i find or discover will go to him so he can edit the thread, as he did with my commission prices and will soon add book prices and stats. There's no need for 2 threads doing the same thing :razz:

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,322379.0.html

Takeda Shingen said:
There's a much better thread made by Comrade Temuzu, with much more info, and in the future everything i find or discover will go to him so he can edit the thread, as he did with my commission prices and will soon add book prices and stats. There's no need for 2 threads doing the same thing :razz:

Oh. Well this thread was so redundant. Just let it die, I suppose.

In Kermit said:
Takeda Shingen said:

Oh. Well this thread was so redundant. Just let it die, I suppose.

I'm not trying to imply that you did a poor job or anything like that, the idea was great but there's just no need for 2 threads that do the same thing  :roll:

And as there is more info on his thread, much more people visit it...

Back
Top Bottom