Extreme and unusual lag in certain battles.

Users who are viewing this thread

I can't reproduce it which makes it somewhat hard to fix it. I suspect it's something to do with either the polygons or the shadows in the tree / hill rendering, but beyond that I'm shooting in the dark.

Might be worth turning off the shaders and seeing if that affects it.

Archonsod said:
I can't reproduce it which makes it somewhat hard to fix it. I suspect it's something to do with either the polygons or the shadows in the tree / hill rendering, but beyond that I'm shooting in the dark.

Nope, i turned or switched off everything, its not in the graphic.
Could you install native expansion and try it out? The lagg is way more bigger in mods which enhancing formations. (Therefor i guess its AI/pathfinding problem.)

kulik said:
Archonsod said:

i turned or switched off everything, its not in the graphic.
Me too, I switched off everything and test all option but not any effect.

Try editing the rgl_config.txt (Vista : /users/<your username>/AppData/Roaming/Mount&Blade, on XP presumably Documents & Settings/<your username>/Mount&Blade) and setting the "first_time" to 1. Should cause it to reconfigure the renderer I think. Let me know if it works.

Archonsod said:
Try editing the rgl_config.txt (Vista : /users/<your username>/AppData/Roaming/Mount&Blade, on XP presumably Documents & Settings/<your username>/Mount&Blade) and setting the "first_time" to 1. Should cause it to reconfigure the renderer I think. Let me know if it works.

Huh? I don't have rgl_config.txt on my computer. I found only rgl_log.txt. Will try to find it on my vista computer tomorrow.

kulik said:
Archonsod said:

Huh? I don't have rgl_config.txt on my computer. I found only rgl_log.txt. Will try to find it on my vista computer tomorrow.

ok i found it but i did no difference. As i was saying, lag every 0.5 second.

What version of directx rendering are you using? i was using v9 but and i had extreme lagg until i switched to direct 7 so switch to v7 if you havnt

viwerty89 said:
What version of directx rendering are you using? i was using v9 but and i had extreme lagg until i switched to direct 7 so switch to v7 if you havnt
Im using DX7. The lag is still there on both computers that i have.

Archonsod said:
I did no difference.

I get lag on my laptop.. similar to earlier posts in this thread. 8600M GT, 2gb RAM, Core2Duo 2.2GHZ XP Pro. Basically 'freezes' or chops every second or two. Sometimes happens all battle, sometimes only after the battles has been going for a while.

I play the same game (sound mod and some tweaks) on the desktop without problems 8800GTS, 2GHZ core2duo, 2gb RAM XP Home... so it isn't a processing GPU or CPU 'grunt' issue. I might try disabling hardware sound though and see if that makes a difference.

Jedediah Q said:
Hi, fellow maimers. 1st post (que the drums).

I suspect this is a pathfinding issue - dense forest, lots of obstacles etc...

My rig is a AM2 64x2 6000+ @ 3100ghz, 2 gigs 'o RAM and an old(ish) dx9 card: Radeon X1950Pro.
When i ran into this problem my initial thought was the bottleneck GPU, but after fiddling with the scenes.txt the lag went away. I replaced the end of the line that starts with: "scn_random_scene_plain_forest random_scene_plain_forest" with this:

(NEW ****) 0x0000000229602800000691a400003efe00004b34000059be

(ORIGINAL) 0x300028000003e8fa00003efe00004b34000059be

...i THINK it resizes the area to it's maximum and ease up on the tree density, meaning the trees and stuff gets a larger playground eg. less pathfinding.

I copied the line from the "scn_random_scene_plain random_scene_plain" meaning i'm using the open field map, so if you really want that sherwood feel, don't do this trick. Just search for the random_scene open-field equvivalent and copy+paste. Worx for me anyways.

This worked for me, I put shading to high and made this fix to all 3 scenes (plain forest, snow forest, and steppes forest). Now the only lag i have is the very occasional graphics lag. It worked in RUS mod (greatest mod ever in progress), but not in prophesy of pendor. I played a couple forest scenes in PoP and the landscapes still had rediculous hills in them and I still had problems

aggietex84 said:
Jedediah Q said:
Hi, fellow maimers. 1st post (que the drums).

I suspect this is a pathfinding issue - dense forest, lots of obstacles etc...

My rig is a AM2 64x2 6000+ @ 3100ghz, 2 gigs 'o RAM and an old(ish) dx9 card: Radeon X1950Pro.
When i ran into this problem my initial thought was the bottleneck GPU, but after fiddling with the scenes.txt the lag went away. I replaced the end of the line that starts with: "scn_random_scene_plain_forest random_scene_plain_forest" with this:

(NEW ****) 0x0000000229602800000691a400003efe00004b34000059be

(ORIGINAL) 0x300028000003e8fa00003efe00004b34000059be

...i THINK it resizes the area to it's maximum and ease up on the tree density, meaning the trees and stuff gets a larger playground eg. less pathfinding.

I copied the line from the "scn_random_scene_plain random_scene_plain" meaning i'm using the open field map, so if you really want that sherwood feel, don't do this trick. Just search for the random_scene open-field equvivalent and copy+paste. Worx for me anyways.

This worked for me, I put shading to high and made this fix to all 3 scenes (plain forest, snow forest, and steppes forest). Now the only lag i have is the very occasional graphics lag. It worked in RUS mod (greatest mod ever in progress), but not in prophesy of pendor. I played a couple forest scenes in PoP and the landscapes still had rediculous hills in them and I still had problems

Now this seems quite usefull, on vanilla it fixed the lag and native expansion is almost playable. Why did you put shading to high, its the lag lower with shading set to high?

Like I've posted before in this thread, this lag only shows up on a certain type of terrain and I'm pretty sure that something is seriously broken about that terrain. It's either pathfinding or something else.

Suffered from this lag again today in a battle near Jelkala. On that particular terrain type as usual, but this time I noticed something unusual. Some of my soldiers got stuck in some random places on the battlefield in a really strange way. There were no visible obstacle or anything like that around the places that they got stuck. They were locked on enemies and were trying to move towards them but they couldn't. I told them to hold position on a nearby hill and they couldn't go there either. All they did was to take one step left and then right repeatedly.  :???:

BTW, modifying scenes.txt as suggested above didn't work for me at all, didn't make any difference.

I tend to get random lag. started about a month ago. Trees or no trees i can be playing the game for several hours or only a couple mins before i get this relentless lag on the campaign map and even more so on the battlefield. It is very inconsistent too but once it starts my raid/pillage session  :razz: is over for the day.  Its wierd i just went a week without any problems but today it started right back up.  ive checked cpu usage and nothing unusual.  defraged, no change. reinstalled video driver. i have seen it happen to other games that i play but not nearly to the extent that M&B lags. oddly enough warband does not seem to share this problem as frequently.  im pretty good about keeping useless default processes off.

appreciate any suggestions  :smile:

The fact that the lag disappears completely once the battle is over (without leaving the map) confirms that this is a pathfinding issue.
It has nothing to do with trees. I once ran into the lag when SNEAKING INTO A CITY (imagine how difficult it was to survive...). So neither the trees nor the amount of people in the battle matter here.

It is quite shocking that such a serious bug hasn't been fixed yet...

Same problem here in a forest, fps are down to 2-8 which make the battle just unplayable.
My graph card is an ATI Radeon HD5770, lowering video options have no effects.
Like others here, I'd really like this issue to be resolved in the next release.

If devs or others are interested, I can send you my game that was saved just before this particular battle.

One tip that helped me
go to start>run type "msconfig" go to boot.ini>advanced options and set /numproc on the number of cpu cores you have apply and reboot.
-this with maimers enlarging forrests map tip made forrest-hills battles playable. The lag is still there but its a lot better.

I confirm the stop&go lag.. Running Native Expansion with AMD Phenom 64bit, 4GB, Radeon HD4870 on 64bit Vista and got lags as described in dense hilly forests (ex. vincinity of Jelkala). Clearly no hardware performance issue (running other mainstream games smoothly). Now the lag seems to be randomly high, yet it diminishes with the soldiers being killed during battle. The stop&go behavior renders the game unplayable. I'd like to mention that in vanilla with an AMD Barton @3200, 1GB and NVidia 6800GS this never happened (although usual graphics lag/low FPS occured normally)

Aye i got the same problem in the Mod NE... in some forested areas you get hick ups every 0.5 sec... its not lag as my FPS is beig on normal numbers.

My  comp is a I7 920, Wista 64 OS, 12 GB dual channel DDR3 ram, Geforce 285x 1 gb, ASUS P6T SE.

Thanks for all feedbacks.

This issue should be related to new developments at AI pathfinding. (See edit below, so it cannot be related...)

In Mount&Blade 1.011, horses were trying to climb mountains instead of circle around it while going from their current point to destination point. So sometimes most of horses were stucking while climbing hills ext in complicated maps(hills/mountains + forests). Because climbing speed of horses are nearly zero if slope of ground is higher than 50 degrees (+-10). AI troops were not using/finding logical paths in complicated grounds. So we tried to implement more detailed pathfinding code, but it makes more calculations than previous one of course. So if your battle size is huge and if you are at a map with AI mesh (forest or hill) then fps can go down.

If there is battle between 100 vs 100 there become really huge number of pathfindings. We are already using old paths to get rid of most pathfindings but this is not enought because a battle can need tons of pathfinding which is not related to any of previous used ones.

Solution is making a less detailed examination and making horses to climb hills easier then we will have more path solutions for a specific pathfinding question.

I will try to faster these calculations but in any case it is very hard for (200+ sized) huge battles to be very smooth if they are using a complicated map. Please give your new feedbacks after you get version 0.750.

Edit : By the way I new realized that this topic is opened in 2008 and complaints about this issue continued till today. So this can not be only related to new developments in pathfinding. It seems this was always a problem. Anyway you should have a better pathfinding in Warband in complicated terrains with AI mesh, pathfinding algorithms optimized and detailed. But I cannot be sure about how these new additions effected fps in large battles with AI mesh. But you can be sure paths are more reliable now. So we need feedbacks about fps in large battles (with maps containing AI mesh) for Warband. We need comparisions from players.

Back
Top Bottom