Extra skills bonus for NPC raiding parties

Users who are viewing this thread

Durandal

Sergeant at Arms
Just curious... when you send off an NPC to lead a raiding party, I'm pretty sure they get to use their party skills. But as leader, do they get the (+x) bonus as well, or is that something only given to the player character?

sequeezey said:
Ahh, but a better question, what IS the (+x) bonus, and where does it come from?

The (+x) bonus comes from the number of points you have in that specific party skill, as you are leader of the party. If you have 2 points in it, you get a +1 bonus. You get +2 at 5, +3 at 8 and +4 at 10.

Close, but not quite.  The (+x) bonus comes from other people in your party having the same party skill.  The highest skill leads, which is often the player, but not always, and the second highest contributes a fraction of their skill.  And yes, NPC parties benefit from this as well.

Jinnai said:
Close, but not quite.  The (+x) bonus comes from other people in your party having the same party skill.  The highest skill leads, which is often the player, but not always, and the second highest contributes a fraction of their skill.  And yes, NPC parties benefit from this as well.

Actually, I'm not sure it's the highest skill person... It always seems to follow my skills, even when I don't have the highest. I will check tonight, but in my current game, Xerina is my surgeon with 10 points, and I'm pretty sure I don't get a +4 party bonus (I don't have any points in it).

Durandal said:
Jinnai said:

Actually, I'm not sure it's the highest skill person... It always seems to follow my skills, even when I don't have the highest. I will check tonight, but in my current game, Xerina is my surgeon with 10 points, and I'm pretty sure I don't get a +4 party bonus (I don't have any points in it).

Wouldn't in that case Xerina's 10 is the skill used and the (+x) is based on the *second* highest surgeon's fraction.  So if that was you, at skill 5, the screen would display for Xerina 10 (+2) ?

EDIT: Just say you say you had none.  In that case I'd guess you see 10 (+1) because someone in the party has at least a 2 skill in that.  Otherwise it'd be 10 (+0) I guess.

Aristoi said:
Wouldn't in that case Xerina's 10 is the skill used and the (+x) is based on the *second* highest surgeon's fraction.  So if that was you, at skill 5, the screen would display for Xerina 10 (+2) ?

EDIT: Just say you say you had none.  In that case I'd guess you see 10 (+1) because someone in the party has at least a 2 skill in that.  Otherwise it'd be 10 (+0) I guess.

Wait, that totally doesn't make sense. Why would it be based on the second highest total? I have 10 pathfinding myself, no one else has above 2 pathfinding in my party, and we still get a +4 bonus to it.

Anyway, I'll check on it later and report back.

EDIT: Page 18 of the Mount and Blade manual reads as follows:

Lastly, Party skills are those used by your entire band. Only one character in the party needs to know the skill for the whole party to gain its benefit, though the skill will become more effective if the leader (you) also knows something about it. In other words, a party skill’s effective level is a combination of the skill level of the person who has the best rank in it, as well as a bonus based on your own rank in that skill. The bonuses look like this:

And it makes more sense for the Leader to give a bonus to himself?

Regardless, it's good to know the answer.

Some normal, non-hero troops have skills.  Which is probably where you're getting the bonus to pathfinding from, because they do contribute to party skills the same as heroes.

I was under the impression that any skills you yourself had got bonuses, to encourage you to get party skills instead of only focusing on combat and delegating all the others to your heroes.

I have looting 8(+3) and no one else in my party has looting, the bonus goes to +4 if and when i raise looting to 10.  garrison all your troops and tell your friends to buzz off, and you still get the bonuses. (I believe, I'm gonna go check real quick)

OK, just sent everyone away, I still get the +3 bonus to my looting.  if I recall correctly the bonuses are as follows:
0-1 (+0)
2-4 (+1)
5-7 (+2)
8-9 (+3)
10  (+4)

Jinnai said:
Some normal, non-hero troops have skills.  Which is probably where you're getting the bonus to pathfinding from, because they do contribute to party skills the same as heroes.

I don't think Trainer falls into this category.  I created an upgrade to the Lady Knight that had 10 in Trainer, but it didn't change the amount of experience my troops received.  I think pathfinding does have an effect though because when I ended up with a few Rangers (Bards???) with super high Pathfinding I did notice that my troops moved faster.

It could be interesting to have a medic troop type with 8 or so Surgery, but low HP, crappy armor, and a dagger or something (Surgeon's Knife).

if you upgraded your guys from foot to mounted, it would increase your party speed regardless of pathfinding skill

Thats true... I didn't really think about that... I might have to go play with the troop editor and do some tests

bobross419 said:
Jinnai said:

I don't think Trainer falls into this category.  I created an upgrade to the Lady Knight that had 10 in Trainer, but it didn't change the amount of experience my troops received.  I think pathfinding does have an effect though because when I ended up with a few Rangers (Bards???) with super high Pathfinding I did notice that my troops moved faster.

It could be interesting to have a medic troop type with 8 or so Surgery, but low HP, crappy armor, and a dagger or something (Surgeon's Knife).

I don't think Trainer does either. It's a personal skill, not a party skill, even though it kind of acts like one.

It's hard to always determine if things affect your speed. Note things like morale, load, army number, etc also affect it.

Back
Top Bottom