Resolved Extensively overpowered smithing

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
Branch
Beta
Modded/unmodded
No, I didn't use any mods.
I know this has been mentioned but in the known problems it doesn't seem to mention the extent of this
1. recipes with high damage give you 50+ smithing levels and tonnes of general experience, you can max out smithing at the very beginning for you and all your companions
2. smithed weapons with high damage sell for way too much. this seems to be decided by the blade you use but there's dozens of recipes good enough to set off this chain reaction where you gain 50 levels a dozen recipes, sell the weapon for 40k-110k and buy out all the throwing knives so you can make more

"
Some of the crafting pieces' price is higher than the weapon itself. This is not the intended design.
Some of the Polearm crafting blade pieces has very high damage causing us to craft them easily and sell them for expensive price. "

its not just polearm, here's the list of ones i remember
polarm: war razor bent razor, voulge head
javelin: harpoon head, hewing spear head.
2h sword: star falchion, pointed falchion, tier 4 sabres and scimitar, falx blade

one of the javelin shafts costs no wood. i was making harpoons for 1 iron and 1 charcoal that were selling for 110k... i couldnt get rid of my iron faster than i was getting it from looted weapons. maybe a solution would be to make items smelt for "iron scrap" instead of full on ingots

I think the flat damage stats of these items need to be reworked, the recipes you get should be in order and not random, and the items should have some type of persuasion modifier that effects the price. bugs me that the ugly civilian outfits are the best ones

Last edited:
You forgot to mention the biggest problem of all with smithing. When you make a weapon of any kind for any reason(even if its just to smelt it back down to gain more lvls) it ends up in trade windows and tournament prizes. Literally every single weapon gets copied into trade windows(even if there is only a slight difference) so you end up with this huge list of crap in the trade window that you may have only made just for lvling ur smithing. It shouldn't be ending up there. Crafted weapons should only be available through crafting and shouldn't be continously and infinitely copied over and over.

Hi, can you give me a step-by-step information about the crafting pieces you have used and the weapons you have crafted?

Pointed falchion tier 4 blade costs 4 wrought iron, the hilt and stuff doesn't effect the price much and it will sell for 60-100k
war razor head, bent razor head, and voulge head are all tier 4 polearm blades, they have no 1h option, really high swing damage, and they sell for 100k, cost 2 steel
harpoon headed javelins sell for 100k and cost 1 iron, the 3rd from the last javelin shaft costs no wood, so once i had it i could max out the smithing of my character within a couple in game days.

So primarily harpoons, 2h swords, and 2h polearms are the offenders, the 2h polearms which dont have a 1 handed mode and only do swing damage seem to be worth the most exp and gold. its a really large amount of parts that are "too op" though, it seems to have to do with the system calculating their value based on their first damage stat

as for what smokestack is saying. i noticed they seem to clone weapons similar to what's already there. so if i decide to use a crafting part like "broad bladed dagger head" on a throwing knife they'll start spawning "crafted throwing knives"

Yes, a "copyright flag" needs to be added to the weapons we smith ourselves. I had one playthrough where I sought to undo my own sales after I became a millionaire. I then ended up spending over 4M and thought I had been incredibly greedy even in towns where I didn't remember trading the weapons. Looking back, I had actually been quite conservative but the workshops pick up on your recipes. (I had expected to spend 500-700k because I did sell a handful of few 100k weapons). I could be wrong but it seemed like it got worse with the master / legendary perks got involved because you end up with multiple versions of the same recipe thrown out there.

I don't know when you started your campaign but I did find the smithing a little more fair in 1.5.3., not giving me 100k and over 30 levels with every high damage recipe as soon as I could craft a polearm. That said, it may be a bit harder to level the skill but you can still make a killing selling your weapons. Pricing needs some balancing.

High damage with high prices. I dont think it's unfair. Besides, the current economy system in the game is a mess. High party wages and even in 1.5.4 some armors and helmets prices are more ridiculous. If they lower the smithing profit, what can players do to make money?

High damage with high prices. I dont think it's unfair. Besides, the current economy system in the game is a mess. High party wages and even in 1.5.4 some armors and helmets prices are more ridiculous. If they lower the smithing profit, what can players do to make money?
That's exactly the issue.
In 1.5.4, the surviving time for the caravan is less than a season. The workshop daily profit is usually at the level 1-20 per shop. The economy system as a whole is a disaster. "Fixing smithing" right now will only make it unplayable to every player unless they use console cheat to give money.

That's exactly the issue.
In 1.5.4, the surviving time for the caravan is less than a season. The workshop daily profit is usually at the level 1-20 per shop. The economy system as a whole is a disaster. "Fixing smithing" right now will only make it unplayable to every player unless they use console cheat to give money.
I think TW pays too much attention to balancing something, especially in singleplayer mode. Lame horses and cracked items can be fixed by resetting troops, ok so let's fix it. Bandits can be converted into noble soldiers by adding into garrison or clan members' troops, ok so let's fix it. Some soldiers' armors&helmets&weapons are powerful, ok so let's change them... Finally we only see they are hardly working on the game and fixing a lot of bugs but what are the solutions? The prices are higher and higher and many armors&weapons cant be purchased unless you use the cheat mode. I prefer to see them add more features rather than endless balancing the game.

I think TW pays too much attention to balancing something, especially in singleplayer mode. Lame horses and cracked items can be fixed by resetting troops, ok so let's fix it. Bandits can be converted into noble soldiers by adding into garrison or clan members' troops, ok so let's fix it. Some soldiers' armors&helmets&weapons are powerful, ok so let's change them... Finally we only see they are hardly working on the game and fixing a lot of bugs but what are the solutions? The prices are higher and higher and many armors&weapons cant be purchased unless you use the cheat mode. I prefer to see them add more features rather than endless balancing the game.
+1
Need to have access to top armor/weapon is another issue

Hi, can you give me a step-by-step information about the crafting pieces you have used and the weapons you have crafted?
I'll try but I can't really have browser and game open at same time so I have to remember the parts
1. I start a new game and go to lycaron which often has cheap hardwood. I buy wood, iron ore or iron forks, a couple western throwing daggers, smelt and refine, make 2h sword, sell it for 1k and buy more stuff
2. I either repeat step 1 or move on to a better recipe if the RNG has one, many items in javelins, 2h polearms, 2h axe, and 2h sword are good enough to give me recipes and sell for 2k+.
3. once i find pointed falchion blade for 2h sword, harpoon head for javelin, or any of the 3 war razor heads for polearms I'm set to max out smithing, if i'm not in marunath or seonan I go there to get the cheap wood and just start smelting "imperial broad bladed throwing knives" and falx kives for iron
smithing would be a nice way to arm all your companions etc if they didn't sell for 100k. I've found I can buy lords out with these, I can give them to a clan party and gain high income, and just generally become unstoppable. this kind of defeats the need for leveling trade any of these other stats

wait... are you telling me that you fixed the smithing?
I bet that will just lower the prices things can be sold for, no more 120k easily made 2H swords,
however, lets hope they dont go overboard, you should be able to make decent money smithing since it is a skill and profession, just not millions so easy, always worry they go way overboard like when they changed the trader skill everything has a price, instead of making it 275 like all other top skills they make it a 300 skill i.e. overboard

that works too
I know they have been working on massivley changing smithing, I am torn on it as I like the way it is, but if they do it in a way that allows us to get a little more flexibility that could make it really fun, I just hope they allow us to make armor and bows/arrows, that would be sweet

I know they have been working on massivley changing smithing, I am torn on it as I like the way it is, but if they do it in a way that allows us to get a little more flexibility that could make it really fun, I just hope they allow us to make armor and bows/arrows, that would be sweet
oh exactly, armor / bows & arrows would be great

Bribing lords has been easy - they generally jump all over the single javelin set you offer them!

Single-handed swords are way out of balance with 2-handed. You can make a top of the line 1H sword with Thomaskene blade and fine steel everywhere else, and it's worth maybe 10-18K. (I have one in inventory that was 212 difficulty to make and I'm offered < 12K at Zeonica for it.)
I have a weapon called BEST 2-H Sword I kept for myself to use. It's Thomaskene, etc, and Zeonica will offer me 135K. For comparison, my 1H sword gives 70 Cut damage and the 2H gives 134 Cut damage. So for nearly the same raw materials I can make a 2H sword worth over 10 times what the 2H is selling for!

Bribing lords has been easy - they generally jump all over the single javelin set you offer them!

Single-handed swords are way out of balance with 2-handed. You can make a top of the line 1H sword with Thomaskene blade and fine steel everywhere else, and it's worth maybe 10-18K. (I have one in inventory that was 212 difficulty to make and I'm offered < 12K at Zeonica for it.)
I have a weapon called BEST 2-H Sword I kept for myself to use. It's Thomaskene, etc, and Zeonica will offer me 135K. For comparison, my 1H sword gives 70 Cut damage and the 2H gives 134 Cut damage. So for nearly the same raw materials I can make a 2H sword worth over 10 times what the 2H is selling for!
it's the first damage stat on the weapon. so the OP bit is really that you don't even need the thamaskene steel to break the economy. on top of that i found out on my latest playthrough that you gain levels on your character even if your learning limit is maxed out. great way to get like 12 extra focus points on your companions

Back
Top Bottom