B Tutorial Animation Extension Tutorial - Rigging And Animation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Make sure your .obj file is a nice and clean mesh and you are exporting it right from wings or whatever. Try to get that error fixed first.

Chilly5 said:
What do you mean by nice and clean?
It triangluated it,and it's of average obj body model size. 648 polies.

Are there any places where two verts are on top of each other or a vert is right in the middle of an edge its not part of or stuff like that?

Yoshiboy said:
Chilly5 said:

Are there any places where two verts are on top of each other or a vert is right in the middle of an edge its not part of or stuff like that?
That...I'm not too sure.
Wouldnt triangulation fix that?
The model I'm using is a Sharp Bronze model, I just edited it and changed the UV a little.
The model already came in SMD format, and worked in game. I moved a few verts and re-uv mapped some parts, I did not really add anything or cut and add new verts.

Chilly5 said:
Yoshiboy said:
Chilly5 said:

That...I'm not too sure.
The model I'm using is a Sharp Bronze model, I just edited it and changed the UV a little.
The model already came in SMD format, and worked in game. I moved a few verts and re-uv mapped some parts, I did not really add anything or cut and add new verts.

hmmm. Sounds weird, I'm not sure I can really help you there. Do you get the same error when importing with other meshes?

Ah, I'm getting that invalid error too, but the model does show up anyway. Spotting the errors you mentioned is really tough though, they're so minute.

However, the coordinates (that's what they are, right?) at the end of mine say 0, 0, 0. Since the origin of the model is below the actual mesh, I don't see how there could be any wierd stuff there.

Also, the scaling option when I import doesn't seem to work.

edit:
Chilly5 said:
I get this message:
"unknown property: "filename" in undefined
Arg, I'm getting that too! Except it doesn't crash when I try to grab, but it doesn't create a complete smd file.

:sad:

edit: fixed

Yoshiboy said:
Chilly5 said:
Yoshiboy said:
Chilly5 said:

That...I'm not too sure.

hmmm. Sounds weird, I'm not sure I can really help you there. Do you get the same error when importing with other meshes?
Yep, made a new model, tried it, and failed. Much in the same way, but it didnt give me an error after exporting, it gave me the same error when I imported the OBJ. The main difference was that an extremely low resolution version of my texture was applied to the model. I'm guessing because this texture is still in tga format and the other one was in dds format.

Yoshiboy said:
Rigging by verts

Rigging by verts has a slightly different setup to the envelopes. First, at the top of the modifier options you need to tell it you are rigging by verts instead. To do this, tick the boxes as follows:

scene5.jpg

there are also some display options I like to use to make rigging via verts more easy. So scroll down the modifier to where you have the display options and change them to the following:

scene6.jpg

Can someone tell me where i can find the pictures? Without it the tutorial does not work.

Yoshiboy said:
Sorry I'll add it to my to-do list.

Nothing to be sorry about at all! Yourstutorials, as well as highelfs, are great. I couldn't have done anything without them. They are actually the first ones that convinced me to do proper uvw-mapping.

Yoshiboy said:
Pictures are back in.
Thanks a lot Yoshi! I already put it to good use. :grin:

I had some serious trouble with the smd export scripts. Depedending on which one i used (For Half-life 1 or Half-Life 2) i ended up with either a distorted model or without my UVW map. Either way looked okay in gmax and the BRF editor with the exception of the uvw bug (that was visible in the brf editor). I fixed it by re-importing it again and then exporting it again using both exporters once. Now it seems that M&B can't handle vertexes that are influenced by multiple bones or maybe the importer purges those weights upon re-importing.

Anyway, thanks a great deal and you were quite right - rigging the shoulders is really, really tough!

If you only want to change the texture you can do that without rigging. Once you change the mesh of an armor you will have to rig it.

I did exactly the tutorial told me, now I'm done the tutorial... but how do I start rigging? How should I start rigging? I'm using 3ds max. I used it for months, never used skin modifier until now. I don't know if this question even deserve to ask, but I'll ask anyways. Thanks. I'm lost...

Did somebody already try importing a smd from horses_b.brf (M&B 1.011) in Max 2009?
I'm using Wunderboy's importer since it's the only one I found compatible with 2009 but I get an error when parsing it with the mesh (Error: Couldn't flag node 23 as weighted. followed by Improper file format.)
I know there are some problems with the horse skeletons but I wanted to try Dain Ironfoot's trick posted on his TPW thread (page 77) but since I can't even get the mesh in, I'm stuck...
(The importer works with smd from horses_a.brf but, while everything is fine in Max, it's screwed up in game... as expected if I understood everything.)

Am I missing something here? Does anyone have a clue on how to fix this?

To mbfreak2: I don't really understand the question. As soon as you start assigning weigth to the vertices (with any of the techniques explained in the tutorial) you're actually rigging...

mbfreak2 said:
I did exactly the tutorial told me, now I'm done the tutorial... but how do I start rigging? How should I start rigging? I'm using 3ds max. I used it for months, never used skin modifier until now. I don't know if this question even deserve to ask, but I'll ask anyways. Thanks. I'm lost...

I assume you have exported the skeleton from BRF editor and you have the needed plugins for Max to work with SMD files.
Ok, so import a original M&B armor to Max, using the plugins. Use the original armour as a reference and scale and position your own ormour with it.

Rigging:
When your mesh is properly aligned with the skeleton, select your mesh, select Skin modifier from the drop down menu in edit panel. Click on the Skin modifier and scroll down to "Add" bones button - click it and select all the bones of the skeleton (they're named 1,2,3,4....). Now scroll up and click on "Edit envelopes" button. Edit envelopes by clicking and dragging the vertices of them. Resize them so that they affect (roughly) the desired area only (for example: arm bone affects the sleeve of the armour and not other parts). After editing the envelopes, you can "fine tune" skin by checking the "Vertices" tick box right under the "Edit envelopes" button. Now you can select vertice(s) by hand and give them weights (scroll down to find the weight field, you can type in a value or use other means to do this. Mount and Blade armour meshes are fairly simple but with more complex meshes you sometimes need to check things out with the "Weight table" window).

Note:
If you want to be 100% that only one bone is affecting a certain vertice(s), select the vertices and make weight 1.0 for that bone. Lets say you have 3 bones that all affect a certain vertex and you want to leave one of the bones out, do not try to put the weight value for that bone to 0 as it usually doesn't quite work. So instead, select one of the bones you want to affect the vertex, give it a weight of 1.00, then select the other bone you want to affect the vertice and give it a value.

if you need more detailed help PM me.

I have used a .smd file of a similar armor to  my armor mesh to rig it. I don't touched envelopes (only add bones)
how can I put a part of my armor mesh independent respect the movement of joints bones?
...I want to leave static the chest part of my armor
thx

with Gmax I keep getting an error when I import my files, it says something about co creator instance? and I get the same File name invalid thing that pops up? why is that? can anyone tell me? thanks much!

Back
Top Bottom