Users who are viewing this thread

Explorer!
giphy.gif

Download
Discord
Source Code
Moddb - Steam - Nexus - Patreon

About:

Explorer! is a complete Singleplayer overhaul of Warband, rebuilding the game from the ground up to work around one central feature:
No more overland map

Current Features:

- Travelling system with worldmap as scene borders

- Locations such as towns, castles, bridges, ruins, bandit hideouts, training grounds, secret locations

- Full-size towns, improved castle + village scenes, new random scenes based on region

- Land features such as rivers, mountains, shorelines.

- Mountain and river terrain is passable, though often it is still faster to go around mountain ranges

- New shaders, darker shadows, more ground types

- Dynamic weather effects include wind, moving clouds, thunderstorms

- No more "regular recruits", every recruited NPC is given a name and treated as a companion

- Persistent names for all NPCs

- Improved town walker/villager AI, larger crowds in towns

- Hunting, around 12 different animal types can appear based on map region/terrain

- Real-time looting, NPCs killed by the player can be looted for their armour

- 18 factions: The 6 Warband factions have each been subdivided into 3 unique provinces

- 1 Unique soldier type for all towns and castles

- Weapon/Armor/Horse merchants sell region-specific equipment

- Combat AI improvements, better blocking/target picking/pathfinding

mb86.jpg

giphy.gif

yopjgI5.png

To travel through the world, simply walk up to the edge of any scene, and you will load into the next.

giphy.gif

Think of each scene like one square on a grid that covers the entire Warband map.
Explorer correctly tracks your position and translates it to the same position on the adjacent grid: If you leave the Northeast corner of one scene, you will start in the Southwest corner of the next one and so on.

bordir.png

Use the worldmap to orient yourself within scenes, and spot far-off towns and villages

mb27.jpg

mb107.jpg

mb98.jpg

mb79.jpg

mb34.jpg

mb101.jpg

mb83.jpg

mb92.jpg

mb73.jpg
Gutekfiutek
_Sebastian_
ShaunRemo
Oliveran
Aeon
TheBowman
MitchPTI
K700
AgentSmith
mtarini
Wei Xiadi
RRaptor, luigi, Pope, James
Njunja
Havoc
wanderer
Adorno
Yamabusi
AlphaDelta
fredelios
dejawolf
NaglFaar
Narf
Yoman
jacobhinds
Al Mansur
spak
Bogmir
bb
Daedalus
Somebody
Lav
Sonyer
TLD team
frell
SacredStoneHead
DRZ
CWE Team
motomataru
PapaLazarou
Gothic Knight
thick1988
Shik
Psiphoon
lucky_lancer
Caba'drin
Goldenjoseph
Jrider
DtheHun
Rohzdear

Last edited:
Unreal! This sounds incredible.

My one concern would be that the Warband map might be too big for this kind of thing. How many scenes would you have to travel through to get from one side of the map to another?

I really like this idea, travelling like this was like one of the very first wishes I had when I found how Warband plays. Very much looking forward to it!

Mandible said:

My one concern would be that the Warband map might be too big for this kind of thing. How many scenes would you have to travel through to get from one side of the map to another?

A fast travel option would be great.

Totenkopf900 said:
Mandible said:

A fast travel option would be great.
Trekking all the way across the map takes a while. The longest possible route is about 80 spaces - but that's about 3hours of real-time travel.  :dead: Average distance between two towns is ~15 spaces. I'm hoping that there will eventually be enough local content to let players spend most of the early game in one area, and gradually expand it. All wars etc will be pretty centered around the player: Enemies won't be 2 factions away on the map, siege decisions will probably be based on what's nearest to the player, etc. I'll also have to include options so people can tweak random map size, and even movement distance per turn.

Fast travel is something I want to avoid as much as possible, while still ultimately including it.  :razz: I'll probably let players fast travel to/from any allied center that they have already visited before. More radical ideas would be stuff like controlling multiple parties - dispatch a companion to campaign in another region, and switch back and forth to explore multiple areas simultaneously, with auto-travel for the non-played party. Maybe that's too crazy...

Maroon said:
I really like this idea, travelling like this was like one of the very first wishes I had when I found how Warband plays. Very much looking forward to it!
William The Bear said:
This will be pretty dank by the looks of things. Eager to try it out!
Easter Cow said:
Looking forward to trying this one out, good luck Ruthven. :smile:
domipoppe said:
This looks really innovative and great. I am looking forward to play it :smile:
Dazzer said:
Great work, I dreamed about this for a long time

Thanks for all the comments!  :oops: I'm really humbled by all the support people have given me here and on the moddb page. Can't wait to disappoint you all!

This is fantastic, I wouldn't have expected anything like this to be done at this point in Warband's "life".

Well, awesome! Looks really cool and I'm very much looking forward to playing it!  :party:

edit:

immediate concerns - do you have any ideas for distant terrain not corresponding with what's actually happening in a scene, or is that ok and you're gonna go with it?
(example: You're looking at a town from the borders of a neighbouring tile, it looks like a town in a distance. When you enter the tile, the town is under attack and there's a huge army and everything is burning. Or really, just big armies you would be able to see from afar, but perhaps you spawn right into when you cross into the tile?)

Mr.Milker said:
This is fantastic, I wouldn't have expected anything like this to be done at this point in Warband's "life".

Well, awesome! Looks really cool and I'm very much looking forward to playing it!  :party:

edit:

immediate concerns - do you have any ideas for distant terrain not corresponding with what's actually happening in a scene, or is that ok and you're gonna go with it?
(example: You're looking at a town from the borders of a neighbouring tile, it looks like a town in a distance. When you enter the tile, the town is under attack and there's a huge army and everything is burning. Or really, just big armies you would be able to see from afar, but perhaps you spawn right into when you cross into the tile?)
Hmm, I definitely want to use smoke particle effects for raids/sieges, but I think particle systems don't draw if they're too far away (maybe??) If it works, I'll probably go with that.
Seeing a huge army isn't really a problem. You usually can't see 100 men over the next hill inside the scene, let alone anything beyond. :razz:

The Demo version has been released. WSE files are included for 1.170/1.172 versions, get the new WSE here if you're running 1.173.

Download

Please read the description there, I'll do a better post here later/tomorrow.

I must admit that when I read the first post, my initial reaction was that this was an overly ambitious project from someone with big dreams and that it would be a complete and utter failure that would only end in tears.

And then I saw who posted it.

This looks pretty freaking awesome.

OK, main thing I'm struggling with it a weird graphical bug. Some part of the rendering process seems to be missing/broken:
(everything becomes quite dark, especially people and some props are near black)

BeBrVpU.jpg

If I ALT+TAB out and back, it looks normal again:

KoKcKHF.jpg

BUT, whenever I zoom in the camera (SHIFT), or talk to someone, it reverts to looking broken.

Minor things I noticed which I'm sure are WIP:

1) Troop names not corresponding with their sex.
2) When you talk to someone in a wandering group, they stay behind and don't follow their group after you're done talking to them.
3) In the first ever zone (a town, so maybe I can't do that in a town zone?) TAB didn't do anything.

Turn off 'Use Depth Effects', should fix the graphical issue.

Mr.Milker said:
1) Troop names not corresponding with their sex.
2) When you talk to someone in a wandering group, they stay behind and don't follow their group after you're done talking to them.
3) In the first ever zone (a town, so maybe I can't do that in a town zone?) TAB didn't do anything.
1) I decided to truly randomize names.  :lol: It's either funny or kind of compelling... But I want to replace some of the names with made-up ones, since it can be kind of jarring when your hardened steppe warlord pal is named Steve.  :razz: Sometimes it works out nicely though.
2) I have to fix that, as a workaround If you press the sheathe weapon button (even while weapon is sheathed) they should continue... Talking to an animal also works.  :lol:
3) Yes, no tab menus in towns. RIP
I was going to at least have town walkers take you to whatever location/NPC you were looking for, but not even that. At least you will always come back from interiors mounted!

Efe Karacar said:
Sick job!
Kvedulf said:
I must admit that when I read the first post, my initial reaction was that this was an overly ambitious project from someone with big dreams and that it would be a complete and utter failure that would only end in tears.

And then I saw who posted it.

This looks pretty freaking awesome.
DtheHun said:
:shock: You steal the show from Bannerlord. Amazing!
Khamukkamu said:
Really hyped that you are modding again, Ruthven! Good luck with this amazing and unique project!
Thanks everybody, you're all too kind!

Patch released fixing some small issues:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/explorer1/downloads/explorerpatch

Back
Top Bottom