Evidence of this article of clothing?

Users who are viewing this thread

AelleCyning

Sergeant
I keep seeing reconstructions wearing some sort of jacket, but the only thing I can find that shows this is the Sutton-Hoo plaque which shows a bunch of (dark?) elves wearing some.
Marles08%20024.jpg
wrap1.gif

The ones he provided aren't elves.

Also, we actually have a part of a surviving piece;

Klappenrock

That's a small piece of muddy fabric, how do they know it was a wrapped tunic?

EDIT: Also, the Sutton-Hoo helmet is believed by archeologists () to have been made in Scandinavia, or by a Norseman at least. That would make sense, it would explain why the warriors on it are wearing Norse clothing.

I assume Raedwald bought a nice Norse helmet he saw. And now reconstructionists are running around in the wrong type of clothing...  :facepalm:

AelleCyning said:
That's a small piece of muddy fabric, how do they know it was a wrapped tunic?

Look closer at the lining.

Also, it is not a small piece of fabric, for archaeology, that is a enormous piece of fabric.

AelleCyning said:
EDIT: Also, the Sutton-Hoo helmet is believed by archeologists () to have been made in Scandinavia, or by a Norseman at least. That would make sense, it would explain why the warriors on it are wearing Norse clothing.

That is merely one idea that is still debated.

AelleCyning said:
And now reconstructionists are running around in the wrong type of clothing...  :facepalm:

No, you are just being a pretentious swirl trying to raise question to make yourself feel smarter.

There isn't much surviving evidence of many things.

But that piece of fabric I posted above is pretty much definitive proof.

Mamlaz said:
There isn't much surviving evidence of many things.

But that piece of fabric I posted above is pretty much definitive proof.

Where was it found then? When is it dated to.

EDIT: 9th century Denmark, Hedeby. I think we're done here.

AelleCyning said:
EDIT: 9th century Denmark, Hedeby. I think we're done here.

...?

You never specified a location, you demanded proof of the existence of clothing, nothing else.

Not to mention that, by your logic, historical equipment would all be localized in some determined bubbles of usage based on findings.

Like longbows never being used in Wessex or bascinets never being used in west Bulgaria.

So?

If I asked a question about mail hauberks in general and posted a norman warrior, how would that limit the discussion to the Normans?

AelleCyning said:
Fine, I should have said Saxons. There's no evidence of Saxons wearing these.

Apart from the Sutton Hoo you already mentioned that has literally every single person adorned in it;

anglo-saxon-artifact-presentation-11-638.jpg

Not to mention loads of other art depictions in carving or relief from Frisia to Estonia that would make wearing that coat as a Saxon reenactor easily historical even by using trade as an excuse.

Even their armor depictions show some weird diagonal liner;

31fc8bfaac1515442810f6da695aafe3.jpg
683a3dbac902eb5583ead3f29494118e.jpg

That last one is from Scandinavia. The penultimate is clearly chainmail with a bandolier.
And the Sutton-Hoo helm is almost universally agreed by archeologists to be a Scandinavian design or even make.

Also, they're not wearing trousers or shoes. Probably not a representation of reality, even as South as Sussex they'd have lost their legs in the autumn and winter.

AelleCyning said:
That last one is from Scandinavia.

Is it?

AelleCyning said:
The penultimate is clearly chainmail with a bandolier.

Hahahahaha :lol:

Bandoliers on early medieval hauberks :lol:

AelleCyning said:
And the Sutton-Hoo helm is almost universally agreed by archeologists to be a Scandinavian design or even make.

Source?

Oh, yeah, I forgot, you don't do sources, you just state things.

AelleCyning said:
Probably not a representation of reality

Nah, you just, for some bizarre reason, don't want it to be true.

I have never seen anyone actually object to this clothing before.

AelleCyning said:
even as South as Sussex they'd have lost their legs in the autumn and winter.

How do you know they are naked beyond the waist?

Or you know, war season was during the late spring and summer so...

Ever seen Italian or Greek armor depictions?

Half naked dudes yet winters in Italy and Greece also mean snow and cold.

Shocking I know.

Italy is far hotter than England.

Yes, bandoliers existed. Plenty of evidence of them. http://www.museumreplicas.com/images/Section/icon/19.jpg

And yes, that plaque is from Scandinavia. 9th century Vendel helmet plaqur showing Odin, Huginn and Muginn. https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/82/f5/09/82f50936ac2a7aa6b2d94a5a40e6b202.jpg

I could post a source, but you're being a wanker. So no thanks.

You're not interested in history, you're looking for confirmation of your own views and beliefs. This differs strongly from an actual interest in history because in the process you're shutting out any evidence contrary to your own views and beliefs, whereas a good historian acknowledges alternate possibilities. Unless you think Lindybeige is a good historian, then by all means you have an interest in history, sure.

Back
Top Bottom