Events that have happened over the past 100 years and 2012 talk

Users who are viewing this thread

Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about and gallantly he chickened out. Bravely taking to his feet, he beat a very brave retreat.

Bravest of the braaaave, Sir Robin!

Kvedulf said:
hmm, I have just one question about 2012 and the Mayan calendar:

If the Mayans were so smart and all-knowing to know what was going to happen 1000 years into the future, then why weren't they able to realise that their own culture was on a collision course with doom and do something about it before all the Mayan **** hit the fan? 

If I could see the future, I'd be checking to make sure my descendents, and my culture, made it to the end of the world...

Cheers
Kvedulf

There are still plenty of direct descendants of the Mayans around, and Mayan languages are still widely spoken.

Also, the ability to predict the future does not equal the ability to change it.

Slight catch being that it's not actually the end of the world. It's just a new 'year' on the long count calender, a number is added, things continue. There is actually an end of the calender, it just happens about a trillion or so years from now. Odd how conspiracy theory folks tend to ignore all that as well as the fact that there's several events listed as happening after twenty-twelve on several of the calenders.

I've always found it funny when people think up some grand meaning for events like the Haitian earthquake. Because clearly all the deaths have more to do with some arbitrary date than the poor construction and poverty of third world cities and plate techtonics.

IfJawsCouldWalk said:
A culture that couldn't last is now predicting all of us will be doomed? Theysa' sound jealous to me.
You ruined Star Wars. :sad:

Moss said:
Slight catch being that it's not actually the end of the world. It's just a new 'year' on the long count calender, a number is added, things continue. There is actually an end of the calender, it just happens about a trillion or so years from now. Odd how conspiracy theory folks tend to ignore all that as well as the fact that there's several events listed as happening after twenty-twelve on several of the calenders.

I've always found it funny when people think up some grand meaning for events like the Haitian earthquake. Because clearly all the deaths have more to do with some arbitrary date than the poor construction and poverty of third world cities and plate techtonics.

IfJawsCouldWalk said:
A culture that couldn't last is now predicting all of us will be doomed? Theysa' sound jealous to me.
As I said, I let my mind wander.  I don't know **** about mayans, only that they used obsydian swords that broke in 1 hit but was really sharp, and that they made a calandar.  I didn't even know about the calander until like 5th grade.  :lol:

rockerjesse3 said:
Moss said:

IfJawsCouldWalk said:
As I said, I let my mind wander.  I don't know **** about mayans, only that they used obsydian swords that broke in 1 hit but was really sharp, and that they made a calandar.  I didn't even know about the calander until like 5th grade.  :lol:

You misspelled obsidian and calendar.

Here you go:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_civilization

Calodine said:
kiarj said:
You know, our calendar ends each year and it isn't the end of the world.

Besides, the mayans didn't count bisextile years, so the calendar ended in 2007.

...leap years?

Oh! Right, that's what you call 'em! Sorry, french speaker here  :razz:

Radalan said:
rockerjesse3 said:
Moss said:

IfJawsCouldWalk said:

You misspelled obsidian and calendar.

Here you go:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_civilization
obsidian was a spelling error.  Calendar was a typo

I'm thinking tat 2012 will be the End of The World as we know it. That is, together with the awsome song by REM and by GBS, I think that there will be some drastic change in the way humans live. My guess is that the oil supplies will reach crisis levels and we'll revert back to the good old days of barbarianism, with people fighting over the last of the oil.

So the future is like Mad Max.

Jec94227 said:
My guess is that the oil supplies will reach crisis levels and we'll revert back to the good old days of barbarianism, with people fighting over the last of the oil.

So the future is like Mad Max.

Yeah, because oil matters that much novadays.
I'd say a large amount of people would buy electric cars at that point.

Shatari said:
Archonsod said:
We're going to have another wave of 80's retro? FFS, IT WAS **** THE FIRST TIME AROUND PEOPLE.
Yeesh.
Oh bah! The Atari 2600 will never stop being awesome!

Nor will the N64 (I know, not 80s, but whatever). My friends and I still play Goldeneye on N64.

Back
Top Bottom