SP - General Even Cheaper Crossbow: Crude Crossbow

Users who are viewing this thread

The new 1.8 Crossbows are great, but they have one problem: Even the cheapest crossbow is still way out of reach of a new character. To fix this, I propose adding yet another light crossbow: The "Crude Crossbow". It would be based on the Skåne and Colletière à Charavines crossbows, combining crude, only roughly (if that) squared wood with a simple design. As a hunting weapon for small game, it wouldn't be expected to have a lot of power, would only kill in one shot with a head-shot, and would do poorly against even basic armor, but could soften up rag-clad looters and the like before melee begins. It would have a chance to spawn on Vlandian recruits.

vv5QrOU.jpg
(Found at http://www.branche-rouge.org/les-ar...balete-carreau-charavine-1-moitie-xi.jpg/view )

Last edited:
This doesn’t exactly have true historic backing though.

Many provinces around the Mediterranean required soldiers to maintain their own equipment. Crossbowmen were paid 10x what archers were because their equipment was that much more expensive.

The trade off was a crossbow man could keep his weapon pointed at someone during law enforcement (soldiers and police were often the same) and not grow tired, with a more consistent aim, while the archer could only be at the ready.

When ever you see a movie where someone is pointing a drawn bow at a trespasser and having a conversation with them, it’s utter bull ?. Your arm would fail. That’s only something doable with modern compound bows. THAT’S why lords were willing to pay crossbowmen all that extra, because that was they’re job to keep a bead on someone during questioning.

I just think the game needs to be slightly more generous though when it comes to giving players a hand me down crossbow at the start. Even if it is a “crude” one.