EU will review daylight saving time

Should we keep the current daylight saving system in the EU?

• Yes

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • No

Votes: 26 68.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 13.2%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

All of us'll miss it with our collective nostalgia, we'll all start looking like these hipstersss

Calradianın Bilgesi said:
Turkey doesn't have it since 2 years and it resulted in miserable winter mornings where people go to work in pitch darkness and also higher energy use.
The darkness thing is pointless because it's always dark in the morning during winter. The higher energy use goes against collected evidence from Europe so that's very interesting. Are you sure it's not just part of general energy consumption growth?

What exactly is the beef with DST?  Personally, I enjoy extra hours of daylight later in the day but, since I am no longer working, except occasionally part time and temporary, standard time and DST are pretty much the same to me.

Sofia Johanna Jeanette Munsterhjelm von Platen said:
Turkey doesn't have it since 2 years and it resulted in miserable winter mornings where people go to work in pitch darkness and also higher energy use.
The darkness thing is pointless because it's always dark in the morning during winter. The higher energy use goes against collected evidence from Europe so that's very interesting. Are you sure it's not just part of general energy consumption growth?
Actually we use the summer DST all year long now as opposed to the original winter time.

As a result, time difference between two regions varies along the year because of DST. Central European Time is usually six hours later than North American Eastern Time, except a few weeks in March and October/November. Likewise, the United Kingdom and mainland Chile could be five hours apart during the northern summer, three hours during the southern summer, and four hours a few weeks per year because of mismatch of changing dates.
World is getting more and more global - having an arbitrary change in time zones and delays across the planet, especially when two-thirds of the world don't follow DST at all and the remaining third can't agree when it starts and stops, is insanity.

A 2017 meta-analysis of 44 studies found that DST leads to electricity savings of only 0.34% during the days when DST applies.[92][93] The meta-analysis furthermore found that "electricity savings are larger for countries farther away from the equator, while subtropical regions consume more electricity because of DST."[94][93]
So the savings are minimal and in, depending on the region, might not even happen.

Changing clocks and DST rules has a direct economic cost, entailing extra work to support remote meetings, computer applications and the like. For example, a 2007 North American rule change cost an estimated $500 million to $1 billion,[103] and Utah State University economist William F. Shughart II has estimated the lost opportunity cost at around US$1.7 billion.[74] Although it has been argued that clock shifts correlate with decreased economic efficiency, and that in 2000 the daylight-saving effect implied an estimated one-day loss of $31 billion on U.S. stock exchanges,[104] the estimated numbers depend on the methodology.[105] The results have been disputed,[106] and the original authors have refuted the points raised by disputers.[107]
While some businesses might benefit from an hour of "extra" sunlight, the change itself is disruptive and causes significant economical losses.

A 2008 Swedish study found that heart attacks were significantly more common the first three weekdays after the spring transition, and significantly less common the first weekday after the autumn transition.[129] A 2013 review found little evidence that people slept more on the night after the fall DST shift, even though it is often described as allowing people to sleep for an hour longer than normal.
So you don't actually get an extra hour to sleep, either.

Literally pseudo-smarties going "If we turn back the clocks an hour.... we can get an extra one out of our slaves!"

As a figurative night owl, I support keeping the DST all year round. Winter mornings suck anyway, so having sunrise at 7:30 instead of 8:30 changes nothing, but the late sunsets in summer are 10/10.

kurczak said:
having sunrise at 7:30 instead of 8:30

You know daylight cycle is constant, the way we measure time of day is arbitrary. So it should be 'having 7:30 instead of 8:30 at sunrise'.
I'm all for keeping either time all year round, whoever isn't happy with it can adjust their schedule.
Though the best solution would be to abolish all silly time constructs like daylight saving time, timezones, counting the year based on some dude's birthday, months etc. and adopt the one true solution, Unix time. Then we can move on to more meaningful debates, like what to do about leap seconds.

kurczak said:
so having sunrise at 7:30 instead of 8:30 changes nothing
This makes a huge difference to me. everythings starts at at least 8.30 if not 8.00 so you need to be awake at least on 7.45. Some light instead of complete darkness makes a lot of difference to how easily I wake up.
Sofia Johanna Jeanette Munsterhjelm von Platen said:
Are you sure it's not just part of general energy consumption growth?
I never thought about this but you're probably right.

Szentgyörgyi said:
kurczak said:
having sunrise at 7:30 instead of 8:30
You know daylight cycle is constant, the way we measure time of day is arbitrary. So it should be 'having 7:30 instead of 8:30 at sunrise'.
:smile: My father would love you.

kurczak said:
so having sunrise at 7:30 instead of 8:30 changes nothing
This makes a huge difference to me. everythings starts at at least 8.30 if not 8.00 so you need to be awake at least on 7.45. Some light instead of complete darkness makes a lot of difference to how easily I wake up.
Maybe. I for one enjoy it more outside after work than while taking a shower and eating breakfast indoors.

Permanent Summer - Yay!

.. or winter

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/26/european-parliament-votes-to-scrap-daylight-saving-time-from-2021

Countries that wanted to be permanently on summertime would adjust their clocks for the final time on the last Sunday in March 2021.
Those that opt for permanent wintertime would change their clocks for the final time on the last Sunday of October 2021.

John Flack, the Conservative MEP for the East of England, said: “We’ve long been aware the EU wants too much control over our lives – now they want to control time itself.

“You would think they had other things to worry about without wanting to become time lords,” he said, in an apparent reference to the BBC sci-fi drama Doctor Who.
:grin:

Shut up John Flack you ****ing tool and let them do the thing. Maybe I'd vote to remain in a second reff now, I hate having to change my waking time.

dystopian said:
Farmer's time
That's myth has always bugged me. Like most farmers, I do all of my chores based on where the sun is in the sky, not by a clock. Daylight Saving Time just means that the feed store opens and closes at a different time than I'm used to.

Back
Top Bottom