Equipment getting dirty throughout the time

Users who are viewing this thread

Dazzer

Sergeant Knight at Arms
While you and your men campaign in the enemy's lands, fight from a battle to battle, your and your men's equipment could get a little dirtier throughout the time. Now this could serve as a visual effect only, but if developers desire, it could decrease your army's morale a bit. This would force you to make sure it gets regularly cleaned. If you decided to sell dirty armour, for example, its selling value could be much lesser compared to the original's clean armour value. This could apply to weapons and clothing alike.
Now I assume this feature would be extremely difficult to make, if not impossible. But who knows what kind of coding masterminds work at TW?
It would add some more realism to the game, which is always welcome imo

Apologies if this has been already suggested, but I couldnt find a thread about this  :oops:

Nice idea, Dazzer!

It would raise the immersion a lot for sure, but...
we all know shields have a limited duration in battle, and they can even break.

How could the magically auto-repairing shield stay well together with tremendously real dirty clothes?  :smile:

Fabiano_il_Capo said:
Nice idea, Dazzer!

It would raise the immersion a lot for sure, but...
we all know shields have a limited duration in battle, and they can even break.

How could the magically auto-repairing shield stay well together with tremendously real dirty clothes?  :smile:
I got no idea, thats up to the devs to answer if they decide to add said feature :grin:
Or perhaps this time shields in Bannerlord arent returned to you after they are broken?

Well, I could like it, even if it would mean giving up the beloved arcadish "win, loot & go" mechanic, as long as every party in the game follows the same rules.

Another interesting mechanic could be that only axes and similar can really break shields, which would also impact the after battle. Other weapons like swords and arrows aren't uneffective.

This could lead to a major willing to use big two handed weapons (with the vulnerability to not having in the other hand a shield myself).
This way clothing and armors could get dirty, shields could definitively break and everything is just realistic!  :mrgreen:

This could could go two ways. It may add a nice bit of realism to the game or it could be an unnecessary and annoying feature.

I don’t see any point in a blade polishing simulator where you have to hold shift + space after every battle to skip time. Just an unessasary feature adding something tedious to a sandbox game. For the weapons getting dirty in game, they just mentioned it this very blog where mud/blood particles can get stuck on the player/weapons so you already have that.

Looter said:
I don’t see any point in a blade polishing simulator where you have to hold shift + space after every battle to skip time. Just an unessasary feature adding something tedious to a sandbox game. For the weapons getting dirty in game, they just mentioned it this very blog where mud/blood particles can get stuck on the player/weapons so you already have that.
I agree. In Warband you and the npcs get covered in blood, but that automitically gets cleared after battle. Now we know that mud and blood will both cover armour, so that will add to the immersion.
As my previous comment stated, I think it would be better if different armour grades show the defect.

I'm not a fan of weapon breaking as it leaves the player defenceless. However, I'm happy for them to be damaged from excess use or sheer bad luck. This should degrade their effectiveness just like Warband's cracked or bent item modifiers. Then you'd have to live with degraded performance until you next visit a weapon-smith. To further tie in with BL's new crafting system, it would be cool if the damage and penalties were localised - pommel knocked off = unbalanced sword (weapon proficiency penalty), cross-guard broken = less effective parries (x% of otherwise successful parries fail), blade cracked = lower damage etc.

There are plenty of Warband mods that distinguish regular blades and armour from chipped/rusted/worn versions. If a wear system isn’t in native, I’m positive someone will make the mod for it.

Dirty? Very important with a firepower mod: even a perfect condition pistol can jam if not cleaned. It is implemented in the old jagged alliance. But for standard game? No idea where it could be used.

vota dc said:
Dirty? Very important with a firepower mod: even a perfect condition pistol can jam if not cleaned. It is implemented in the old jagged alliance. But for standard game? No idea where it could be used.
As I wrote, maybe just as a visual effect to add more realism

I disagree.

It's great that during the battle your weapon and armor will get dirty, muddy, and bloody.  When you are moving about the campaign map though a lot of things are assumed to be happening that you as a player don't have to actively partake in.  Troops are eating and relieving themselves, horses are being re-shod, forage is being distributed to the animals, and yes... weapons and equipment are being re-sharpened and cleaned.

Weapons maintenance is ongoing to a soldier.  To think during the week long march you and your troops take across Caladria and the three battles they fight doing it at no time do you or your men bother to wipe down and oil your blade is actually pretty ridiculous.

Having been in the service myself the phrase -Weapon, Gear, Body- is pretty near and dear to me.  I imagine it was to soldiers in antiquity as well. 

I'd love it but only if its visual, it would be cool to see your army getting nastier as they fight away from home. Maybe it could all auto cleanse once you stop in a town or village where your army gets rest and have time to clean themselves, that way it wouldn't be tedious and gameplay changing

supersaiyan121 said:
an unnecessary and annoying feature.
check_engine said:
When you are moving about the campaign map though a lot of things are assumed to be happening that you as a player don't have to actively partake in.  Troops are eating and relieving themselves, horses are being re-shod, forage is being distributed to the animals, and yes... weapons and equipment are being re-sharpened and cleaned.
This.
It's just one of those "add defecation for immersion" kinds of suggestions from which gameplay will not benefit at all.

As a visual effect only it could work, automatic cleaning up when resting. I don't see it making a big difference though, troops already look fairly rugged in battle and that's the only time you'd see it. Also I've heard suggestions that people might have kept themselves much cleaner than we've though at those times, and the whole idea that everyone was sooo dirty is a bit of a myth.

Visual representation of "cracked" etc equipment would be really sweet though.

Fantomen said:
As a visual effect only it could work, automatic cleaning up when resting. I don't see it making a big difference though, troops already look fairly rugged in battle and that's the only time you'd see it. Also I've heard suggestions that people might have kept themselves much cleaner than we've though at those times, and the whole idea that everyone was sooo dirty is a bit of a myth.

Visual representation of "cracked" etc equipment would be really sweet though.
"Look fairly rugged in battle"? In which video/picture have you seen that? Because I havent noticed that in any of them.

I wouldnt mind if the equipment got dirty in a battle only and then got automatically cleaned as the time progresses. This was just a suggestion for the devs along with some possibilities they might want to expand the feature with, which dont necessarily have to be included in the game.

Can we please focus on getting the game released, instead of adding in features that would make it tedious to play the game?

I think dirty and battered equipment, ripped clothes, etc. would increase the immersion, but needing to get it cleaned/fixed once in a while is a bad gameplay mechanic that doesn't add anything to the game.

I like your idea as long as it's just cosmetical, i.e., doesn't affect the gameplay.

Leonion said:
supersaiyan121 said:
an unnecessary and annoying feature.
This.
It's just one of those "add defecation for immersion" kinds of suggestions from which gameplay will not benefit at all.
+1

Back
Top Bottom