Equip regular troops like companions *tweak*

Users who are viewing this thread

I just tested it out and I noticed something odd. When I get the screen "Tell me about yourself" and "Nothing keep moving"... I click on the first and it takes me to his items rather than skills. Then if I exit out, it goes to the exit screen with all the options to see items, stats, etc.

Skeletor said:
Great tweak! Always wanted all troops in heraldic armor.
if your playing a mod... where certain troops have different troop only armor, what is that going to do to the game?

LordMutaz said:
if your playing a mod... where certain troops have different troop only armor, what is that going to do to the game?
I'm not playing a mod and I don't fully understand what are you asking, perhaps you could rephrase or explain.

Skeletor said:
LordMutaz said:
I'm not playing a mod and I don't fully understand what are you asking, perhaps you could rephrase or explain.
in the mod I'm playing, there are many more classes and some of them have special armor that you yourself can't get, if you replaced it, what would happen to that special armor? would it do something wierd since it is supposed to that classes special armor, or could it be that the armor is like an old one just different texture?

LordMutaz said:
in the mod I'm playing, there are many more classes and some of them have special armor that you yourself can't get, if you replaced it, what would happen to that special armor? would it do something weird since it is supposed to that classes special armor, or could it be that the armor is like an old one just different texture?
That I wouldn't know. I guess you'll have to post this question on the board of the mod you're talking about.

-Well, I just tried it out and it looks like the items are overwritten pretty soon. The game randomizes soldier equipment(At least lower tier ones) and every time one of the items you placed there is randomized it disappears in favor for the one picked by the game. It looks like the main body armor is untouched by this though(I used Swadian militia for this small test), but I lost leg armor, main weapon and shield in successive battles.

Swadius said:
So either we need to edit the top tiered troops to only have one weapon and set of armor, or we need to discontinue the randomization feature.
Closing the randomization feature would be better, sucks when you have a Full plated knight on a war horse, then you upgrade another on and then they get Hunters.

Tartantyco said:
-Well, I just tried it out and it looks like the items are overwritten pretty soon. The game randomizes soldier equipment(At least lower tier ones) and every time one of the items you placed there is randomized it disappears in favor for the one picked by the game. It looks like the main body armor is untouched by this though(I used Swadian militia for this small test), but I lost leg armor, main weapon and shield in successive battles.

That's true. Using this tweak is just like using the troop editor from within the game. If you've used the troop editor before you should be familiar to random selection of items.

The game picks up items randomly from a list of items available for a specific unit. Hired Blades for instance, have Great Helmet and Guard Helmet in their equipment list. This means some of them will be spawned with a Great Helmet and others with a Guard Helmet.

There's also "guaranteed equipment" for units. For example, you may give horses to Huscarls but since they're not mounted units and horse is not a quaranteed equipment for Huscarls, only some of them will be spawned with a horse. Likewise, for some units, even a helmet is not guaranteed. If you give helmets to such units, they may or may not use it. But almost all units, maybe except looters, body armor is a guaranteed equipment.

There's a way to make sure the units get spawned with only the equipment you gave them. Simply talk to them repeatedly and transfer all their equipment to your inventory, then equip them with only the equipment you want. This prevents randomization.

When you change a unit's equipment, that will affect all units of that type in the game, even though they are not in your party.

BTW, items that you give to a unit are not overwritten or disappear completely. They are still in unit's equipment list but the game doesn't pick those items in the party/talk screen, that's why you can't see them.

Well, it's looking good. :grin: I used this in a mod I'm playing to get a shield that one of my top tiered soldiers was using. Worked out because his was better than mine and looked the part. :razz:

Be careful though, "replacing" an item with another won't cause any problems, but there's no going back once you "remove" an item from a "guaranteed" slot that has multiple alternatives. You'll never be able to put the item back unless it's a weapon or shield. Why? Because the slots will always be full. For example, if "helmet" is guaranteed for a troop type and there are two or three different helmet options for helmet slot, when you remove one of the helmets and click "return", you'll end up with one less helmet options for the troop type.

I have a cool idea - someone please do this and send screenshots.

Get the entire "Strange" equipment set and give it to an army of about 100 guys.

Voila - you have your army of Samurais...

(I'm not doing this myself because I have no idea where to find the "strange" items, I just know that they exist somewhere)...

Ah, that takes me back... Remembering how in BoW Ex I used to fight those Eastern Invaders, then give my heroes their stuff. Or making all my Zendar ranger fight in a dress.... Man, this tweak sounds really awesome. I must try it! Thanks for this Lord Kinlar.

And about that Strange equipment thing, LordDan. I would do it, but there's a bug causing the chest containing katana and boots to not appear in it's assigned town. I hear you can fix this in edit mode, but I don't know how... The large strange sword, short sword, body armour and helmet can still be found, so if you're happy with just those, go ahead and try it. I would love to see some screenies.

6 x Lord combo!  :grin:

How can I disable randomization? I love Sword Sisters, but they keep spawning with no helmet and Xbow every other day :sad: Would love to assign them some proper lance and permanent helmet.

rasz said:
How can I disable randomization? I love Sword Sisters, but they keep spawning with no helmet and Xbow every other day :sad: Would love to assign them some proper lance and permanent helmet.

Then use the troop editor and edit their properties.  :wink:

Back
Top Bottom