Enough with the rearing already

What do you think of the proposed changes?

• Agree

Votes: 48 90.6%
  • Disagree

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Other (post)

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

darkhorse

Squire
This is by all means the most frustrating part of playing cavalry in warband. The horses have to rear up at the slightest brush against the smallest object. This is annoying when alone, and a death sentence if enemies are nearby. I propose 2 changes:

1. Horses only rear up if they run headlong into an obstacle at a moderate or high speed (or if they take damage like it is now): otherwise they either just stop (or if they are brushing up against an obstacle, slow down and edge along it)

2. A horse will never rear if it hits a single person, but if it is a lower level horse it will slow down. Horses still rear up if charging into a thick crowd.

Mount and Blade is the one game I know of that actually takes a decent stab at mounted combat. Please make the horses playable again.

yeeees.  Horses have to stop rearing because they brushed along a fence.  Horses need to glance off objects to a degree if they don't run into it with their chest.  Right now any object that touches anywhere on the horse hitbox causes it to rear.  And I am ok with a light horse not doing much charge damage to people but one man should never cause a horse to rear.  Maybe slow it but not rear.

Totally agreed.  But horses also shouldn't rear when running into an ally. They should glance off or run them over but they should not stop.

If the horse rears when you hit a single person, it's because you weren't moving fast enough to trample them. They still get knocked down, but to be honest being ran over by a near stationary horse would be somewhat silly.

Archonsod said:
If the horse rears when you hit a single person, it's because you weren't moving fast enough to trample them. They still get knocked down, but to be honest being ran over by a near stationary horse would be somewhat silly.

Well there is the stumble animation that's used when a horse is moving too slowly, but it only kicks in if the horse is indeed just strafing you - you should stumble when a horse hits you frontally at lower speeds as well, instead of sometimes causing the horse to rear.

I hardly ever play cav myself, but I have to agree that horses are a bit too sensitive right now. When I am playing cav I usually forgo lances and try to play as mounted swordsman or similar, and having your horse suddenly stop when you're slowly circling an enemy just because the infantry jumped/moved into its path can be quite frustrating.

I somewhat agree that horses shouldn't rear when scratching a branch, but I don't think the cheaper horses should be able to run through ranks like a bowling ball. People should start buying heavier horses.

Thyr said:
Archonsod said:

Well there is the stumble animation that's used when a horse is moving too slowly, but it only kicks in if the horse is indeed just strafing you - you should stumble when a horse hits you frontally at lower speeds as well, instead of sometimes causing the horse to rear.

I hardly ever play cav myself, but I have to agree that horses are a bit too sensitive right now. When I am playing cav I usually forgo lances and try to play as mounted swordsman or similar, and having your horse suddenly stop when you're slowly circling an enemy just because the infantry jumped/moved into its path can be quite frustrating.

You should play cav more and use a Lance eheheh ! Whatever i agree with your 'wisdom words' ! ^^

Archonsod said:
They dont get knocked down, they stand there gloating upon how stupid the horse is...

Hear hear! I am tired of running in fear from rocks and marginal slopes. Given how imprecise the collision in M&B is they should allow for a bit of leeway in the horse collisions. At least let the horse move along objects or turn away rather than just put the handbrake on.

Styo said:
Archonsod said:
They dont get knocked down, they stand there gloating upon how stupid the horse player is...
Fixed.  :razz:

Welcome_To_Hell said:
+1

Walking at 2mph -> hit a friendly -> guess what ->... REAR

IMO the most annoying change...
what's more annoying is being stuck inside a vaegir mob, riding a heavy charger, and being slowly hit to death because you're horse can't push past the one guy in front of it. plus damage stun is set to 0.00, meaning you're constantly stunned even though you're taking no damage for those weaklings.

Me:

Saddle Horse, best sword, best shield.

Enemy:

Naked with a Magic axe.

Outcome:

I bump into him, horse rears, he gets up and one shots me. Axe goes through horses head, through my heel all while my shield is up. Me and the horse both turn into ragodolls instantly with one hit and the naked dude with an axe head attached to a pike that swings like sword runs away.

I am glad the poll is up, it clearly shows the need for change.

Archonsod said:

Saddle can quite reliably rear from charging full pelt into someone.

Back
Top Bottom