Enough "balance" changes

Users who are viewing this thread

The game gets less entertaining with every balance patch. You are constantly making changes based on the whims of a very small percentage of Bannerlord's population that revolves around Skirmish balance.
The game felt a lot better at launch, balance-wise. Every faction had truly unique factors and the game was a lot more asymmetrical. Now every faction plays in a more similar fashion, and the game is suffering for it. The MP population wasn't decimated just because the game is a glitchy, incomplete mess.
The novelty wore off, certainly, but the vast majority of balancing changes have made the game a lot more boring, focusing on metas that no more than a few hundred people care about. This will never be an esports game, the asymmetry was a lot better than balancing the game around three shield users, one archer, and two cavs, or whatever the meta is right now in skirmish village.

People in Siege, TDM and Captains have been asking for balance just as much. You don't have to go that far down in the boards to find posts complaining about cavalry in Siege for example.

If you hire a plumber to plunge a clogged toilet, and instead of doing so they just continually take larger and larger craps in the toilet until it starts overflowing, do you just live with a clogged toilet forever?

Last edited:
The game gets less entertaining with every balance patch. You are constantly making changes based on the whims of a very small percentage of Bannerlord's population that revolves around Skirmish balance.
The game felt a lot better at launch, balance-wise. Every faction had truly unique factors and the game was a lot more asymmetrical. Now every faction plays in a more similar fashion, and the game is suffering for it. The MP population wasn't decimated just because the game is a glitchy, incomplete mess.
The novelty wore off, certainly, but the vast majority of balancing changes have made the game a lot more boring, focusing on metas that no more than a few hundred people care about. This will never be an esports game, the asymmetry was a lot better than balancing the game around three shield users, one archer, and two cavs, or whatever the meta is right now in skirmish village.
100% agree, to add to that, the map design is also being "sanitized" and the TDM maps are getting more boring to play on over time because people complain that people are playing the game, "too many archers, too many cavalry" so they remove interesting spots on the map and focus the fight into central areas. The game is too balanced now, it's becoming unfun, listening to the hardcore dueling community simply because they spend more time on the forums then 90% of the community isn't fair to the rest of us, that want the factions to play like their lore, and the MP part of the game to feel like a sandbox like the SP aspect.

TLDR: The game is becoming less fun to play the more balanced it gets, if we could get updates that moved it more towards the SP campaign, then towards the SP arena, that would be great.

I dunno, I think 1.5.7 is actually playable vs 1.5.6. Dunno if things will stay that way when 1.5.8 leaves the beta phase. At the very least, archers aren't being spammed nearly as much right now which either means that there's something with the current balancing that makes infantry and cavalry more attractive or Bannerlord players finally learned the meaning of honor, and I doubt it's the second one.

I dunno, I think 1.5.7 is actually playable vs 1.5.6. Dunno if things will stay that way when 1.5.8 leaves the beta phase. At the very least, archers aren't being spammed nearly as much right now which either means that there's something with the current balancing that makes infantry and cavalry more attractive or Bannerlord players finally learned the meaning of honor, and I doubt it's the second one.
Archers get ****ed by throwing weapons now, the only issue is that throwing weapons **** everyone right now.

What's the point of having an intuitive combat system if the only way to play is ranged spam & cav spam

Please buff xbows even more I can't get enough of getting my horses 1 shot :party:

Archers get ****ed by throwing weapons now, the only issue is that throwing weapons **** everyone right now.
I think you mean "Aserai ****s everyone now", cuz 12 jareeds is kind of ridiculous. I like that they bumped up the Jareed stack to 6 and also made "Extra Javelins" the default javelin for the Skirmisher (rather than 2 Javelin quivers). I'd probably replace the "Jareed" Perk 2 slot with a melee weapon perk, since most throwing weapons are still pretty inaccurate and a hugely generous quantity of projectiles can give players a hard lesson on the meaning of "accuracy in volume"

I think you mean "Aserai ****s everyone now", cuz 12 jareeds is kind of ridiculous. I like that they bumped up the Jareed stack to 6 and also made "Extra Javelins" the default javelin for the Skirmisher (rather than 2 Javelin quivers). I'd probably replace the "Jareed" Perk 2 slot with a melee weapon perk, since most throwing weapons are still pretty inaccurate and a hugely generous quantity of projectiles can give players a hard lesson on the meaning of "accuracy in volume"
They are going to revert the throwing weapon increase and movement changes in a hotfix on Monday, they tried to push it Friday but had to wait. (Will also hopefully fix crashes)

giphy.gif

At this point, the health of the game would be improved faster by focusing more on issues that improve the casual experience rather than competitive balance. The games population is in such a critical state that getting basic TDM and custom server QOL improvements would go way farther than increasing or decreasing the price of a random unit in skirmish.

You see more balance suggestions than other things on the forum because the only people left even playing the game are competitive players. We are going to talk about what we know because it is where we can contribute most and give the best input. We shouldnt have to ask for basic QoL improvements because (one would hope) the consensus is that Taleworlds is smart enough to bring about these changes anyway, not to mention everyone has already said they are needed and if Taleworlds has been paying any attention at all they should be on the way.

Originally, the balance and combat changes were very important because the games combat was so bad that the lack of a decent casual experience didn't even matter. Having a decent UI and a functional TDM mode on functional servers wouldnt do anything for the health of the game when inexcusable mechanics like block delay were making basic combat unplayable. Now that those issues are mostly fixed, actual improvements to the multiplayer gameplay loop can start to happen.

I had this giant effortpost halfway typed up about how making improvements to the TDM spawn and Gold system, keeping servers permanent rather than booting players after every round, and introducing new things that actually make the average person want to play multiplayer are now more important than they were 3 months ago. I gave up and typed this instead.

We are at the point where Im questioning if anyone with the access or knowledge to change how servers work is even working on multiplayer or a part of the multiplayer team. If there was someone with the ability to make changes, youd have to figure that TDM would have had a spawn rework months ago. Id really like to think that having a set server that rotates maps rather than creating an entirely new server for every round is not THAT difficult. I mean the Warband team was able to create such a server system with 1/5th the manpower and 1/10th the resources. Im optimistic that such a system not being created yet is due to different multiplayer priorities rather than the developers literally not being able to figure out how to do it. If its the latter the future of the game is in very big trouble.

The absolute worst part is that the balancing patches are not improving the game or making it more enjoyable even from a competitive standpoint. It's just changing the meta. Mainly because TW seems to think that player feedback is secondary to retarded statsheets. Find me a single person that would say that the current patch is more competitive or fun to play than any early 1.5 patch. I'm just sad we can't drop the stupid balancing nonsense, with which we are seemingly not making tangible progress anyway, and focus on the issues that geniunely make MP a grating experience (aka the "low priority" issues :xf-smile:)

Back
Top Bottom