Enemy artillery is better than any sniper!

Users who are viewing this thread

Now that a reloaded a battle 6 times in a row, it's time, I ask around. So the thing is, that whatever happens, the enemy artillery can always hit. No matter where and how I put my troops or myself. It wouldn't be a huge issue for me, but on the other hand, my artillery can't hit anything. I have around 80 days in the game and it never happened, that my 2 cannons hit anything.
The other issue is, that arty is placed in group 1 not 9. Besides that, at the start of every battle, the arty-guys leave the cannons, run around my troops for a while and then get back to their cannons. Meanwhile the enemy already killed half of my troops in one single shot, or me, while i'm standing on a top of a hill far away in my troops, or moving somewhere else to put a couple of people to some other place(A move over there order would be nice, so i wouldn't had less to babysit my soldiers).

Count Roland said:
Now that a reloaded a battle 6 times in a row, it's time, I ask around. So the thing is, that whatever happens, the enemy artillery can always hit. No matter where and how I put my troops or myself. It wouldn't be a huge issue for me, but on the other hand, my artillery can't hit anything. I have around 80 days in the game and it never happened, that my 2 cannons hit anything.
The other issue is, that arty is placed in group 1 not 9. Besides that, at the start of every battle, the arty-guys leave the cannons, run around my troops for a while and then get back to their cannons. Meanwhile the enemy already killed half of my troops in one single shot, or me, while i'm standing on a top of a hill far away in my troops, or moving somewhere else to put a couple of people to some other place(A move over there order would be nice, so i wouldn't had less to babysit my soldiers).
I get what you're saying about the cannons BUT your dilemma with the move and hold command I can help you with... All you have to do is have the selected unit and you hold F1 and a little flag pops up and wherever you let go those troops will go over there without you having to go "babysit them"

Thanks' I don't know why I didn't try it... I'm not smart... Anyways, I think these issues with arty are mostly bad luck, I don't think that it's been made like this. :smile:

xxneontreesxx said:
Count Roland said:
I get what you're saying about the cannons BUT your dilemma with the move and hold command I can help you with... All you have to do is have the selected unit and you hold F1 and a little flag pops up and wherever you let go those troops will go over there without you having to go "babysit them"

Or press backspace, which brings up the battle tactics interface.

You can control your squads by selecting a squad then clicking on the map.

Whoa. Is that a native feature? Did not know that.

Cannons do seem quite powerful however my own tend to do quite well. I usually flank around and take the enemy cannons out myself whilst my cavalry distracts everyone else. Usually works. Sometimes the enemy muskets will shoot me down anyway. Just yesterday I was charging a bit away from the rest of my cavalry, only to be totally nailed by enemy artillery and killed instantly  :razz:

However, I have noticed that you only need to shoot the one Artillery officer thats in charge of each cannon, after hes dead the other two fellows will just runoff. That might help you take em out.

I heard somewhere on the forum that cannons work rather strange, instead of firing the projectile and then that projectile traveling and hitting something(like your troops), the cannon chooses a random spot on the map where your troops are located, and almost instantly applies damage to that area. That means that even if you hide behind a very steep hill enemy cannon will still manage to hit you and your troops, because the AI doesn't have the same problem as a player where the cannon crew switches from Group 9 to group 1 or 2.

Hopefully Docm will find a better way to improve the cannons in the future, as they are OP at the moment in the hands of the AI. Most of my battles start with me rushing on a horse behind enemy lines to kill the cannon crew before they decimate my men  :roll:

Takeda Shingen said:
I heard somewhere on the forum that cannons work rather strange, instead of firing the projectile and then that projectile traveling and hitting something(like your troops), the cannon chooses a random spot on the map where your troops are located, and almost instantly applies damage to that area. That means that even if you hide behind a very steep hill enemy cannon will still manage to hit you and your troops, because the AI doesn't have the same problem as a player where the cannon crew switches from Group 9 to group 1 or 2.

Hopefully Docm will find a better way to improve the cannons in the future, as they are OP at the moment in the hands of the AI. Most of my battles start with me rushing on a horse behind enemy lines to kill the cannon crew before they decimate my men  :roll:
That is correct, there is no projectile. The script was developed by DrTomas(the cannon script was primarily made for Twilight of the Sun King), and is the first and only AI artillery script for Warband.

How many artillery pieces does an army have on average? Is that cannon code open source? I am getting kind of interested to continue my old AI project now.

MaHuD said:
How many artillery pieces does an army have on average? Is that cannon code open source? I am getting kind of interested to continue my old AI project now.

It's 2 cannons per Lord, and so far in every battle i've seen only 2 cannons on each side, tho as i understood it, there can be more if more lords join the battle, i just didn't see it yet.

As Humlenerd said, the script was developed by DrTomas(the cannon script was primarily made for Twilight of the Sun King), and is the first and only AI artillery script for Warband.

I honestly don't know why it works that way, or if it can be improved. I wonder if he could have maybe used NW script in his mod, or is that considered as copyrighted ?

I wish artillery hadn't been included - both friendly & enemy artillery are so deadly to your troops that I now avoid anything involving the faction members, which is detrimental to my playing the mod. I've had enough of being blown up by artillery supposedly on my side (who often take out large numbers of my poor band of skirmishers as well) or losing 1/7th of my force instantly at the start of each battle to enemy artillery.

rapier17 said:
I wish artillery hadn't been included - both friendly & enemy artillery are so deadly to your troops that I now avoid anything involving the faction members, which is detrimental to my playing the mod. I've had enough of being blown up by artillery supposedly on my side (who often take out large numbers of my poor band of skirmishers as well) or losing 1/7th of my force instantly at the start of each battle to enemy artillery.

I know, my every battle starts with me rushing like an idiot on a horse to the opposite side of the map, so i can quickly kill the cannon crew before they decimate my men...it's getting kinda tiresome.

Also because the script is made the way it is, my men and i once got shot through the hill we were hiding behind, that was like 5 seconds later after i told myself "Ha we are finally safe from the cannons"  :lol:

I know that feeling. Rushing against the cannons is a good idea, but it ruins the experience. On the other hand, I'm kinda cursed and no matter where I am or what I'm doing, a random bullet(most likely wasn't even meant for me) hits me usually in the first 2 minutes of a battle. Which certainly shows a problem, as I used to make my men fire on my command, when I get knocked out, they get stuck and don't shoot back. If I turn on the charge upon my death, it scatters the formation and my men just get slaughtered by the fire of the seemingly elite-sniper polish fussiliers. :grin:

EDIT: Anyone encountered that issue, when arty guys get stuck at the back of the cannon and stay there until they get killed or the battle is over?

thanks for the information. Yes the NW module system may not be used outside of NW without permission from NW devs.
I'll see what I can do for a more realistic AI cannon firing script.

MaHuD said:
thanks for the information. Yes the NW module system may not be used outside of NW without permission from NW devs.
I'll see what I can do for a more realistic AI cannon firing script.

I think its module system can be used. The dev released their open source here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/mount-and-musket-battalion-mod/downloads/napoleonic-wars-source-code

you can download it and use it yes. But then you have to add a line to your code that makes is so that only people with the NW DLC can play your mod. In other words, that would only limit the amount of players and is not desirable.

Back
Top Bottom