Enemies sometimes hitting through block?

Users who are viewing this thread

Greetings! I've noticed in tournaments, that enemies are very clearly hitting through the shield when I'm holding block. Why is this?
I get no message about "crushthrough" or anything like that, and it only seems to happen with high ranking troops that I face.

Is your shield in the right direction? they can hit you with a swing from the left if you block to the right.
The shield does not block all attacks from every direction!

Also, there are so many times where the enemy is completely unflinched by my blows and proceeds to hit-trade me in tournaments, what gives?

Also yes, the shield is in the right direction. It's more the case of a stab going through my block to the left with the shield, actually going through the shield model.

Also, there are so many times where the enemy is completely unflinched by my blows and proceeds to hit-trade me in tournaments, what gives?

I felt the same, turned out I was simply to weak when I tried it. Try to level up a bit and aim for the face, that did ot for me.

The tournaments are not "Balanced" in that everyone has the same gear like in practice mode. Some what realistic. Gladiator battles they used the best equipment THEY had. Not a "Standard" equipment load out. Chances are if you hit someone and they keep swinging, they have high tier armor and your attack was too weak to hit the stutter threshold. Where as your peasant armor you eat a hit for 50 damage and get stunned.

As far as being hit when you "Know" you blocked. There are 2 options. Either you didn't fully block, and they grazed you. I've also noticed I get hit when blocking, but recordings and replays have show that the weapon hits both the shield AND character and does minor damage 10-20 ish. Instead of the full 50 ish for a Direct hit. So your shield caught some of the attack, but not all of it.

Or it is a hitbox bug, where the weapon hitbox goes through the shield and connected with whats on the other side.

In my tests so far, it seems that the first option is more likely, and that weapons can now "Hit around" shields. Which was that point of axes. You can "Block" part of the attack, but block it wrong and the curved axe head can still hit you. It's not just an automatic block if you catch some of the weapon. You now need to catch the entire attack.

The physics engine seems sophisticated enough for this, as with the 2H axes, if you hit with just the handle, and not the blade, you do basically no damage. So the reverse should also be true in the use of shields. If you block just the handle, but get hit with the blade, you will be damaged.

the shields are not magic like warband was. Now, if the shield is not actually in place and they hit from the side, especially if the blade is shaped right like an axe, then it can get around your sheild. the entire point of blocking in the right direction is it's putting the face of the shield in the way of the blade to prevent a reach around.

Greetings! I've noticed in tournaments, that enemies are very clearly hitting through the shield when I'm holding block. Why is this?
I get no message about "crushthrough" or anything like that, and it only seems to happen with high ranking troops that I face.

You are correct, there seems to be some sort of bug. It doesn't happen in multiplayer and as far as I can see it hasn't happened in field battles or sieges yet, only in tournaments. I have quite clearly pressed block, with the shield, in the correct direction as well, and the enemy has managed to hit straight through it. I keep videoing my tournaments to find it again but as luck would have it, it's a rare bug.

The enemy, especially when just starting out, will have armour that surpasses your strength. To counter act this you have to aim for their head with overheads or swings. Or you can try stabbing but it's slow compared to enemy swings. You can also hit trade by hitting each other at the same time but that's rare obviously.

Also, shield bash is actually very useful now, especially in fights where your opponent is always blocking. A connected shieldbash staggers your opponent and gives you a chance, if you're really fast, to get a hit in. Plus they cause a bit of damage, i even killed a couple with a bash a time or two.
Also, a thrust to the head is vicious and if you are willing to risk being vulnerable, making the hit will strip health off even armored fighters in the arena, just make sure you back up and hit from a run to get good effect

Like the OP said, I have also been hit right through the shield. I could see the blade of the sword penetrate the shield three inches from the top and hit me right in the face. It was a thrust and not a swing. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

I have noticed that i got hit if i didn't block in the right direction with my shield.
Also as soon as you let go of your block button even if your shield visibly is still covering you, you can get hit.

Not saying there might not be a bug. But at least for me i would say it wasn't a bug and i did make a mistake.
I would really like that you can get hit if you don't block or look in the right direction while using a shield.

Back
Top Bottom