SP - Battles & Sieges Enemies should surrender instead of fleeing and die

Users who are viewing this thread

Lusitani 5th Empire

Half of the battles duration is chasing enemies at the end. This is not fun.
I already suggested npc being able to fight back
I would like to have fleeing troops being more active in protecting themselves. The way it works now gives no challenge or fun in killing routing troops and yet it represents a significant percentage of the total battle duration. That said, think a simple and good solution would be allowing troops to block attacks while fleeing and also fight back in certain cases.
For example, fleeing troops:
  • Should be able to defend themselves if the attack comes from the front (~180º radius);
  • Will give a "free hit" to the attacker from the back, if that hit doesn't kill them that troop can turn around and defend itself;
  • Allow the attacker two weapon attacks before deciding to fight back (e.g.: you hit a fleeing troop from the back, that troop turns around and defends the second attack, after that, that troop is allowed to strike back and try to kill you/other npc, if the fleeing troop wins then he keeps retreating)
  • Should be able to regroup. Regrouping could happen close to the edge of the map, troops could quickly for a defensive line if enough friendly troops are around and the enemy is far or has lower strength in the area (considering numbers, tier and weapon type).
Now I suggest that enemies should decide surrender (individually and as a group) under certain circumstances.
They should decide whether to flee or surrender in order to maximize the odds of survival.
Considering factors like:
  • the leaders traits, is the leader honorable and might release them?, if so increase the odds of surrender;
  • the chance of getting caught, consider the proximity to the edge of the map, if they are on horseback or on foot (unit speed), the number of cavalry the enemy has;
  • Number of friendlies that already surrendered
  • If they were commanded to surrender
I propose using some kind of animation to indicate that they surrendered like dropping weapons, ducking, raising hands...
If you decide to kill those who surrender it should trigger certain traits and relations drop.

Half of the battles duration is chasing enemies at the end. This is not fun.
I already suggested npc being able to fight back

Now I suggest that enemies should decide surrender (individually and as a group) under certain circumstances.
They should decide whether to flee or surrender in order to maximize the odds of survival.
Considering factors like:
  • the leaders traits, is the leader honorable and might release them?, if so increase the odds of surrender;
  • the chance of getting caught, consider the proximity to the edge of the map, if they are on horseback or on foot (unit speed), the number of cavalry the enemy has;
  • Number of friendlies that already surrendered
  • If they were commanded to surrender
I propose using some kind of animation to indicate that they surrendered like dropping weapons, ducking, raising hands...
If you decide to kill those who surrender it should trigger certain traits and relations drop.
Agreed !

also good suggestions. Ideally the ai will check if they can make it safely out of the battle, if they are close to the border or you don’t have a ton cavalry. Otherwise the may think it is wiser to surrender.
I like the idea of combining this with traits. Killing them after a surrender will increase you “evil” trait and this may have a demoralising effect on future enemies. But will make honourable nobles dislike you.

Back
Top Bottom