SP - Player, NPCs & Troops Empire Troops need variation between indavidual factions.

Users who are viewing this thread

At first, when Bannerlord came out, I thought it would be really cool to have three factions share the same troops. However, after several playthroughs as an Empire Merc/Noble, I thought it would be awesome to have some unit diversification between the northern, southern, and western empire factions. They should all share the same base few tiers of troops, but then according to the different factions, the troop should change. This would give the player motivation to pick a specific empire faction to side with based on more things than lords and geography. Below are some suggestions that I have:

• Southern Empire: The Menavilaton (T4) and Elite Menavilaton (T5) (shock infantry) are replaced with Nordic Guard (T4) and Varangian Guard (T5). Both of these troops fill the role of shock troops
Reasoning: Empress Rhagaea would be the most likely to have some of these kinds of troops, as her husband Arenicos was the emperor. I'm aware lore-wise it says that the emperor's Varangian units were disbanded, but some remnants could be left over in a less elite form.
  • Also Southern Empire: I think that there should be a new troop splitting of the Imperial archer named "light horse archer" or something like that. This reflects the geography, as the southern empire is located between the Aserai and the Khuzaits. (the imperial archer would now upgrade to the "Imperial Veteran Archer" and the "light horse archer.")
Reasoning: Geography, adaptation of local tactics/cultural mixing

• Western Empire: Some sort of elite longbowman, replacing the Palatine Guard. The western Empire should have noticed Battania's success in this area, and adapted this as their own. Maybe the Unit has some Battanian vibes to it.
  • Also, going with the Leader-insipired troops, I think it would be interesting to have a non-noble cavalry ("evolving" from the Veteran Infantryman). With light armor, like this. Garios (the leader) is a experienced general, and having light Cav would be recognized as important.

• Northern Empire: Has a troop "evolving" from the Veteran infantryman, a sort of lightly armored and dismounted cataphract. Smaller Kite shields, Axes and swords. Lucon (a former senator) is the Ruler of the Northern Empire, (could be put into lore that he trains elite infantry to be his guard once he hopes to take the Calradic throne).
  • Better Crossbows, troop tree would be something like this, less focus on Bowmen.

I'm not sure how balanced all of this would be, but I think that the different Empire factions are to bland at the moment, at least on the battlefield. It would be interesting to see different kinds of units on the battlefield, while all being from the same culture

It Is possible to have same culture but different upgrades?
Mechanic wise I can think something like disciplinarian perk or some Kingdom politics that unlock troop upgrades, they could be mutually esclusive.

It Is possible to have same culture but different upgrades?
To do this, you might have to recruit the southern troops from southern villages, and you would get "southern imperial recruits" instead of just "Imperial recruit"
Mechanic wise I can think something like disciplinarian perk or some Kingdom politics that unlock troop upgrades, they could be mutually exclusive.
Agreed. Maybe being a noble of that faction give you access to those troops, or a perk like you said does the same thing

Many notables have support X clan, Y clan, Z clan. This is a placeholder for civil wars.
Now if we associate those clan with specific politics that unlock the troops we could have some interesting results. For example northern empire could have some senatorial politic that would collide with southern empire and western empire. And the same could be done with all the others factions.
Right now every politics can be implemented in every kingdom without any restriction. While it could makes sense when we speak about Battania....I mean Battania can be a republic just like an absolute monarchy it doesn't make sense in other faction: for example....northern empire is senatorial so it should never become an absolute monarchy. Empire as a whole could, but never the northern empire that split because wanted an emperor chosen by senate.

The Empire factions all have 14 types of troops, as opposed to the 15 that everyone else has. Rather than taking away and replacing troops, it might be better to fill that slot with the faction specific troop.

Also, while having distinct units for each faction would be cool, I can't help but think that it would be a bit of a headache to do.

It would be flavourful if the Empire could get access to special auxiliary units in border territories or foreign conqured territories. Cavalry from the Khuzait territories, skirmishers from the Aserai, axemen from Sturgia and so on.

Back
Top Bottom