Empire: Total War

Users who are viewing this thread

Arch, what abvout the American Revolutionary war? I'm pretty sure them americans showed up for that.

And, not to get political, but the Iraq and Afghan wars were all their idea.

AgentSword said:
Arch, what abvout the American Revolutionary war? I'm pretty sure them americans showed up for that.

:lol:, you better not be serious.

AgentSword said:
Yes. Note we were talking about that one. Unless the US has had another revolution somewhere between the 18th century and now without telling anyone ...
Like the British invasion of Africa people like to call it a war, but in our hearts we know it is to war what beating a school kid up for their lunch money is to organised crime.

Huh. It's odd, apparently it only monitors your time playing the game if you open the gamer through the Steam menu, which sucks, because I usually just use the shortcut on my screensaver.

It monitors achievements regardless of how you've started the game. I've even completed a couple in offline mode, which was weird.

Only achievement that annoys me are the ones for completing the campaign. I've completed a long campaign and not got the achievement, so I don't know whether it's down to finishing with prestige victory rather than a 'normal' long campaign or not.

Would be nice to see a realistic sailing experience, with topmen and all climbing the rigging. Even if it were an optional addon.

ealabor said:
Dain Ironfoot said:
I enjoyed it before it got all "Glorious American Freedom!" having just read Fusiliers, that rang quite hollow.

Indeed it was "Glorious American Freedom!".

Victory against the "Most powerful army in all of the world". A complete saga including great storyline from land to sea, including schooners claiming prizes on your British warships.

All great, though I'd have to say secondary to the events which took place in the war of 1812. Beating the Brits at Baltimore, and later at New Orleans where the Brits even outnumbered us, still lost.

Oh, there is of course the U.S.S. Constitution which ran your British fleet into the ground :mrgreen:

We burnt the white house.
Giggle.

It's worth bearing in mind too that 19,000 American troops died during the campaign, only 4000 British troops died (you're lot kept ****ting in your drinking water). Nice victory my son!

It's impossible to claim 1812 as a victory (however much America wanted to), fighting against a military force of roughly equal size America gained none of the land it wanted (except bizarrely off neutral Spain), lost considerably more men through combat and campaigning, had it's capital sacked and had it's economy almost crippled by the Royal Navy's blockade.

Back on topic, I haven't been able to afford ETW yet, howeer when I do, is it necessry to run it through steam? I hope not. I hate that program with intense passion.

Ealdormann Hussey said:
ealabor said:
Dain Ironfoot said:
I enjoyed it before it got all "Glorious American Freedom!" having just read Fusiliers, that rang quite hollow.

Indeed it was "Glorious American Freedom!".

Victory against the "Most powerful army in all of the world". A complete saga including great storyline from land to sea, including schooners claiming prizes on your British warships.

All great, though I'd have to say secondary to the events which took place in the war of 1812. Beating the Brits at Baltimore, and later at New Orleans where the Brits even outnumbered us, still lost.

Oh, there is of course the U.S.S. Constitution which ran your British fleet into the ground :mrgreen:

We burnt the white house.
Giggle.

It's worth bearing in mind too that 19,000 American troops died during the campaign, only 4000 British troops died (you're lot kept ****ting in your drinking water). Nice victory my son!

It's impossible to claim 1812 as a victory (however much America wanted to), fighting against a military force of roughly equal size America gained none of the land it wanted (except bizarrely off neutral Spain), lost considerably more men through combat and campaigning, had it's capital sacked and had it's economy almost crippled by the Royal Navy's blockade.

Back on topic, I haven't been able to afford ETW yet, howeer when I do, is it necessry to run it through steam? I hope not. I hate that program with intense passion.

OFF-TOPIC: And with all that the British didn't win. That's pretty shocking, to say the least. For once, I'm not actually trying to sound like a smartass, I am actually surprised beyond belief that Britain was unable to wipe our dinky little chunk of earth(at the time)from existence.

ON-TOPIC: Loving the game right now, have a Prussian campaign going, and I've beaten all the Minor nations surrounding me, I've forced Poland into a shaky peace after the sacking of Warsaw, and I'm in the process of subduing Austria. Any reason why Austria's line infantry have 150 men rather than 120 like mine and seemingly all others do? It makes my strategy of Grenadier ambushes pretty much obsolete, which at the moment leaves Line Infantry (usually fails) and Cavalry charges (always fails. I'm not even sure why I have them anymore.)

CJ1145 said:
OFF-TOPIC: And with all that the British didn't win. That's pretty shocking, to say the least. For once, I'm not actually trying to sound like a smartass, I am actually surprised beyond belief that Britain was unable to wipe our dinky little chunk of earth(at the time)from existence.
Erm, we were liberating Europe at the time, nobody particularly cared about America outside of the whaling trade. In fact, being posted to America was considered somewhat ignominious.
Any reason why Austria's line infantry have 150 men rather than 120 like mine and seemingly all others do?
Because they're Austria. Line infantry differs from nation to nation; some are better at shooting, some at melee, and some have more men than others. Russia gets 160 men who can't hit the broad side of a barn, but their bayonet charge is almost as lethal as cavalry.

Exactly. Wars in Europe were hardly 'Total Wars', despite the name of the game. Armies didn't march through cities, killing and burning at will for the most part. After all, most countries were all ruled by about 30 closely related people.

The world had reached the stage where merely conquering land wasn't enough to ensure it was yours. Britain could have pulled everyone from Europe, focused on simply holding their little island, and conquered America. What then? Wait for the next revolution? It was far simpler to cripple their economy into submission and hold onto whatever they had.

Elenmmare said:
Exactly. Wars in Europe were hardly 'Total Wars', despite the name of the game. Armies didn't march through cities, killing and burning at will for the most part. After all, most countries were all ruled by about 30 closely related people.

The world had reached the stage where merely conquering land wasn't enough to ensure it was yours. Britain could have pulled everyone from Europe, focused on simply holding their little island, and conquered America. What then? Wait for the next revolution? It was far simpler to cripple their economy into submission and hold onto whatever they had.

Though in the long run, I'd say that failed. Utterly.

But like I said, Archonsod, I was pretty sure that each nation's soldiers differed somewhat, but I'm wondering what decent bonus Prussia's have. I have an average number of men, who are no better at shooting than anyone else, but have a slightly better melee defense. Considering the advantage is marginal at best, it seems I got the short straw here.

Well, if you build the Brandenburg Gate, line infantry automatically start out with a level two experience rating. So thats a plus, I'd say.

*EDIT*

Also, has anyone actually been able to recruit Hackapells as the Swedes during the Campaign?

CJ1145 said:
But like I said, Archonsod, I was pretty sure that each nation's soldiers differed somewhat, but I'm wondering what decent bonus Prussia's have. I have an average number of men, who are no better at shooting than anyone else, but have a slightly better melee defense. Considering the advantage is marginal at best, it seems I got the short straw here.

Who are you comparing them to? Prussia's infantry are identical to British and French infantry, which are the best in the game. Prussia also has access to the superior light cavalry of Eastern Europe (hussars and uhlans) to boot. In terms of the "average" line infantry, Prussia has better morale, better reload time and better melee stats.

Back
Top Bottom