SP - Economy Eliminate Most Battle Loot

Users who are viewing this thread

AntiochusIV

Recruit
This is a distillation of several topics I've read about battle loot and looting.

As is most of the battle loot we get from fighting is useless to the player except as something to sell, and it's rather fiddly going to pick it al up and sell it all off.

I propose we eliminate all (or almost all) the loot we get, the rusty swords, broken arrows and cracked pitchforks. Instead each tier of unit is assigned two values, one monetary and one for scrap.

Monetary would have four levels and scrap would have two

Lowest tier units would be copper, followed by bronze, followed by silver and finally gold. When you've killed enough of a certain tier level in a battle you would gain 1 "pile of looted copper" or bronze, silver or gold depending on the unit. These could be sold on the market, or there could be a blacksmith perk that allows you to mint them for their true value. Gold and silver could also be used to make jewellery.

Scrap would be similar but you would gain one "pile of scrap iron" or "pile of scrap steel". These would "count as" iron and steel for merchants and crafting. So rather than dump a whole bunch of useless weapons and armour on the market we drop a resource.

As an example lowest tier units would be worth 0.25 on the scrap iron scale and the copper scale. When four looters or recruits are killed you gain 1 unit of "scrap iron" and one unit of "looted copper".

4 legionnairies on the other hand would net you "pile of scrap steel" and "looted gold"

Some units might continue to have specific drops of rare equipment, or cavalry might rarely drop horses, but overall we'd spend alot less time sorting through piles of blood soaked shirts and wrong sized boots for the items that are actually worth putting in our inventory.

Raided towns might also turn up some of these resources as well, sometimes raiding a fishing village isn't all that exciting. So if they dropped some looted bronze or silver depending on their prosperity it might be a nice little bonus. they may also produce small quantities of items like Coral, Ivory (walrus in the north of elephant in the south), pearls, tortoishell, gemstones or amber, which again could be used to produce jewellery.

I actually kind of agree with you here. I think the amount of loot we get is a bit much. I am talking the sheer amount, not value. I would like to see maybe 10-15 items drop after a battle with a fair chance of good items actually dropping, rather than 100 torn, battered or broken items of little value show up.

I also wouldn't mind a resource type of loot to drop in lieu of 100 broken daggers. Maybe after a moderately sized battle, maybe 100 vs 100, loot that looks something like this.10 units of scrap iron. 50 arrow shafts. 23 leather and fabric scrapes. Chain Coif, Fine Steel leaf Spear. Guarded Bracers. Highland Gloves. Long Chain Hauberk. The scraps of iron arrow shafts, etc I could just sell for gold while I might actually be able to find some use for any other the items on my character or companions or I could just sell them. In the end the value of loot still remains the same but I get useful items as well as vendor trash and my inventory ends up a lot cleaner.

Back
Top Bottom