Elder Scrolls 5:Skyrim

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recommend you look at Tes5edit its a tool that will simulate the start up process and stop at the mod that causes problems. If you visit the nexus gopher ( sp ) has some video tutorial in which he covers tes5edit if im not mistaken.

Are you using ASIS or SkyRe by any chance ? oh and also dont forget to try out BOSS if you havent already for the correct load order for your mods.

Notsure said:
I recommend you look at Tes5edit its a tool that will simulate the start up process and stop at the mod that causes problems. If you visit the nexus gopher ( sp ) has some video tutorial in which he covers tes5edit if im not mistaken.

Are you using ASIS or SkyRe by any chance ? oh and also dont forget to try out BOSS if you havent already for the correct load order for your mods.
Thanks for the recommendation will try it out, and I don't know what you mean about ASIS or SkyRe? Can I have a further explanation

Well they are big mod but they have tools included which compile all your mods to make them work and you need to recompile every time you make little change either the load order or removing and adding any mod. That's the frustrating part i found with skyrim , it doesn't tell you whats wrong it just closes.

Got Dawnguard the other day and have been playing it, pretty good DLC but sub par compared to Dragonborn's DLC. Still better than the main quest though from what I've played. Stopped for a bit in the quest line since I got turned into a vampire on accident while in Dawnguard faction, but luckily I didn't have to search the wild for hours to get the cure vampirism quest done like in oblivion. Hated finding that lady in middle of nowhere swamps and give her a bunch of crap.

If you actually turn into a vampire in Skyrim, you have to talk to some guy in a hut in a swamp to start the quest for the cure. :lol:

Didn't Oblivion make you talk to the count of Skingrad to start the vampirism cure quest? You could also cure it easily if you had the assassin-themed house DLC.

I found that ridiculously funny. I mean, sure, it's a lot nicer than the Morrowind treatment of: it's there, but **** me is it complicated to achieve, but still: oh, just fetch me a soul gem and I'll do it for free !

I never played morrowwind but yeah oblivion was a pain in the neck to cure your vampirism. And ill agree that its silly in skyrim that all you need is one soul gem. Quite funny in a sense actually. The hardest part about the quest to cure it in skyrim was getting the dude to show up, waited like 3 days before the lazy bastard got his arse out of his bed to cure me.

It's part of what I lamented a while ago, i.e. the shift fo Bethsoft's design philosophy toward instant payoff. In Morrowind vampires were all pretty powerful NPCs, so if you wanted to become one on purpose you had to be powerful yourself to be able to stand there and let it hit you and hopefully infect you. In Skyrim they did what they did with dremoras in Oblivion, which is to say introduced weaker varieties so that even low-level players could do this and also increased the chance of contracting vampirism from them. Having just played through the Dawnguard quest line, seemingly the only way to not get vampirism when fighting a vampire is to one-shot them before they hit you at all. If I let myself be hit even once or twice, I get vampirism. You wanna be a dragon-slaying hero? No problem, just start playing and you'll be one immediately. You wanna be a vampire? No problem, just find a vampire and let it hit you once, and don't worry if you're level one, the vampire will be a weaksauce variety specially put in the game for you. You don't wanna be a vampire no more? No problem, just ask any innkeeper and he'll point you to a guy who will cure you for free and instantly. I mean, c'mon.

Increase difficulty and stop whining. The TES games are made for a wide audience that don't all subscribe to a grind-to-unlock philosophy.
I'm on my second Skyrim playthrough and my primary criticism (for all the great things they've done) was the low difficulty of the game once you can sneak well and craft OP gear.
So I increased difficulty by a couple of notches and now I do much more running and thinking. I wouldn't dare to engage a dragon solo at level 20 as it stands now.

Really? I played through the game as a sneaky character on master difficulty and had no real trouble at all, and I'm nothing like a power gamer. I didn't even make any real effort to distribute my stats effectively. Sure, enemies take an absurd amount of damage to kill if I don't sneak attack them, and I often need to use potions, but that's not difficulty---that's just tedious busywork.

I don't quite follow. What do you call "difficulty"?
And while "more tedious busywork" may be a rather dreary answer to an increased difficulty, there is also the motivation to find new, creative solutions to tactical situations.

MadVader said:
Increase difficulty and stop whining. The TES games are made for a wide audience that don't all subscribe to a grind-to-unlock philosophy.
I'm on my second Skyrim playthrough and my primary criticism (for all the great things they've done) was the low difficulty of the game once you can sneak well and craft OP gear.
So I increased difficulty by a couple of notches and now I do much more running and thinking. I wouldn't dare to engage a dragon solo at level 20 as it stands now.

He wasn't talking about combat difficulty at all. He's talking about how Bethesda assumes most of the players have the patience of a monkey with a caffeine overdose. You get everything right away. The Companion questline sent me in a cave to kill a couple of trolls, and the next thing they do is let me in on the biggest, most terrible secret of theirs. I was their bossman at level 16 I think. I don't know about you, but  to me achieving something feels pretty bland if you don't have to do much for it.

Exactly. The Companions thing bugs me for another reason as well. Bethsoft just assumed that everyone would want to be a werewolf. If you don't want to be a wereworlf, you can't continue the quest line (or even meaningfully reject it, all you can do is postpone your transformation indefinitely) and there's no other fighters guild for you to join.

As for difficulty, I'm perfectly happy playing on medium. Getting my smithing and enchanting skills to 100 was a pain in the arse, so I quite enjoy being an unstoppable terminator that can *****slap dragons to death. It's the same old thing again. Effort -> payoff -> satisfaction.

Yup. I think combatwise Skyrim does it alright. My 2h swinging Dunmer was pretty much just target practice for mages and archers, and I had a hard time with everything else as well. Until, after a huge amount of time, I got my perks and skillpoints of smithing and 2h to high levels. Suddenly I was swatting ancient dragons like they were slightly oversized flies.

It's the quests, pacing and writing where Bethesda goes wrong.

MadVader said:
I was their bossman at level 16 I think. I don't know about you, but  to me achieving something feels pretty bland if you don't have to do much for it.

College of winter hold was the same for me. I was level like 15 with 50 as my highest magic skill and I was arch mage of well...everyone. Gatta love how the dude who has 0 experience in magic and Least skilled out of everyone in the college is now arch-mage. Should've made it so you can only become arch mage with 100 in at least 1 school of magic.

Yeah. I intended to make my first character a battlemage but I just kinda forgot about the whole magic thing. I think my character knew the tier 1 destruction spells and a conjure flame atronach spell when I became the arch mage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom