Elder Scrolls 5:Skyrim

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
K-64 said:
And with the "if I made an armour mod that added one armour..." thing, if it was in a multiplayer game, then by definition it would change the meta simply by being there.
Nope. Selling cosmetics and reskins is nothing new.

Meanwhile CDPR is going to release free content like this to Witcher 3, "because this is our way to say thank you to the gamers for buying our game" (see around 6:00).

Kinda funny how this video is mostly about a company telling what is like having to sell an actual product in a country where those same products were freely pirated around.

By the way, if you don't know O'Dwyer's work yet, go check the guy out, most of what I've seen of him so far I can actually call journalism.

Ringwraith #5 said:
Nope. Selling cosmetics and reskins is nothing new.

I was working on the assumption that this hypothetical mod actually added a new item to the game, rather than simply reskinning an existing one based on the words "added one armour".

I have no problem with mod authors being allowed to and asking for optional donations, some of them

That said, anyone who thinks they deserve to make a living off their modding work is seriously delusional. Quite a few modders already have egos bigger than the install size of GTA V, and once in a while you'll find a link to a cool mod that has been removed by the author as part of some tantrum they threw.

The only thing paid-only mods are going to do is encourage piracy of said mods. Not everyone can afford to pay for mods even if the prices are cheap (and they really only should be, unless your mod is basically a new game you shouldn't be charging more than a couple bucks at the MOST), there is ZERO accountability, they can and will change rapidly and without any notice (this is why I only have two Skyrim mods from the Steam workshop). Far too many possibly conflicts, or what if you get tired of the mod or the author disappears and stops updating it, or new modding techniques have been discovered to do things better and without as many scripts? (As happened between early Skyrim modding and later modding). Or the mod is just no longer what you want to use, or you just want to try it out (especially in the case of a gameplay overhaul like Requiem or SkyRe).

$29 is too far too much for this pack, that's half the cost of the bloody game when it was new! And that is a sale price? Piss off. $1.25 for a SINGLE SWORD? Did April Fools come late? I can't believe this bullcrap.

Especially since the modders only get 25% of the cut too, what the hell? So not only are gamers getting ripped off, and possibly now having to pay for the updated versions of the mod with the old ones now completely unsupported (RIP Wet & Cold, which I never used anyway) that they were previously using for free, the modders themselves are being ripped off.

The Steam Workshop is still very poorly designed for mods too, organizing/searching is subpar, automatic updates are NOT always a good thing, no file compression for mods and relatively low size limits (which may have been recently changed for some games, I forget).

2015 was going well for gaming up until now. This is a can of ****storms that should NEVER HAVE BEEN OPENED.

EDIT: Ha ha no surprise here, a huge amount of the paid mods are also stolen off of other modding sites and rehosted without permission.

Bobtheheros said:
6.25$ here...

Which is what I paid for Bioshock Infinite and Far Cry 3 both about 6 months after they came out. It's also half of what I paid for Fallout New Vegas and about 150 other games.

TheFlyingFishy said:
I would probably be just as miffed if Docm or anyone else did it...

I wouldn't do it, anyway. It'd be impossible to earn more than a few hundred or maybe a few thousand dollars while relegated to the Steam Workshop and clearly marked as unofficial, whereas I'd need hundreds of thousands for it to be worth it.

I'm not opposed to charging for professional quality total conversions and major overhauls, but this is too far. I wouldn't pay $2 for a DLC sword, and I'm definitely not paying $2 for a modded sword. It's pretty clearly just an attempt by Bethesda to earn a few bucks after their last major release tanked and without another one coming for quite awhile.

Docm30 said:
I'm entirely sure they bankrolled it.

More like ZeniMax bankrolled it. The worst thing that will come out of that release is ZeniMax Online, the actual developers, get canned. And moreover after transitioning to buy-to-play from a subscription model, I think they probably recouped at least some losses.

If you click on the mods you get this. Your move Valve.

xYEp3.png

Edit: This instance it seems was at the hands of the mod author himself who is facing some trouble in removing it entirely from Steam, see my next post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom