Elder Scrolls 5:Skyrim

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dryvus said:
So if they add tags to mods, I'm going to go around to all ones like this and give them a 'Horse Armor DLC' tag. Who's with me?

Edit: I bet if it was EA they'd charge you retroactively for all the mods you have that are turning paid.

You won't need to deface anything, now that mods are subject to market forces, ones not worth their price will swiftly die. That one in particular apparently has a pay what you want option, and while I can't exactly see from my browser whether or not there's a lower limit to that, I can only see such an option being a good thing for modders and consumers alike, if you can pay the value of a Steam Trading Card for a skin or something along the lines of the given example.

They pay what you want does indeed have a lower limit. I'd agree about market forces killing overpriced ones, but then I remember how many horrible and overpriced videogames those damned youths buy and I have doubt.

Vermillion_Hawk said:
That one in particular apparently has a pay what you want option, and I can't exactly see from my browser whether or not there's a lower limit to that
The minimum is €0.23, which I guess would be $0.25.

_6G5r.png

It's like $0.22, €0.20, I think. At least for me.

I'm happy if this entices a really cool mod with a good storyline and voice-acting.

30 dollars for a handful of random items, maximum kek.

I'm happy if this entices a really cool mod with a good storyline and voice-acting.
You're hilarious sometimes.

Oh well, all the more reason to procure games in the only logical way.

Overall I think the move will be good for the industry on the whole, creating more monetary opportunities for modders means a likely further increase to an already-large indie game studio scene. The only problem will be seeing whether or not this means that large overhaul mods will continue to exist in free locations like the Nexus. In any case, I'd just say back up your mod folders if you're concerned about anything jumping ship to the new purchase model on Steam.

So I could make a lovely mod for you chaps and have it all work fine and dandy, I could even make a pretty penny after I get a YouTuber to shill it to the peasant folk.  But I decide after a month or so to update my mod and oh noes, it breaks your save. What you say a feature no longer works? Oh that feature, well I just decided to remove it, sorry, thank you for your money. There is far too much room here to do dodgy ****, hell the workshop is full of content thieves which reporting does jack all to and now they get to charge for it. Brilliant move, really ****ing brilliant.

Vermillion_Hawk said:
Overall I think the move will be good for the industry on the whole, creating more monetary opportunities for modders means a likely further increase to an already-large indie game studio scene. The only problem will be seeing whether or not this means that large overhaul mods will continue to exist in free locations like the Nexus. In any case, I'd just say back up your mod folders if you're concerned about anything jumping ship to the new purchase model on Steam.
If anything, "mod piracy" will become a thing.

Christ it felt stupid to write that.

Ninja'd.

Vermillion_Hawk said:

All of these studios will be based on the premise that forsaking your independent goals for monetary gain is a positive thing. If not a lot of people are paying for a hard combat overhaul, there's a good chance it'll be made easier to boost sales. This isn't what modding should be. A big part of modding is to cater to niche audiences with features that were too fringe to risk putting in the base game.

It's the exact same thing they do in Dota 2.

It makes sense in a free game where it's one of the only sources of income, but asking for that in a full priced title that's not even Valve's is a ****ty move.

The items don't even fit Skyrim. Though Vidotto is a cool guy I think he was well out of his mind doing this.

K-64 said:
You have seen the Steam community, right? Or are you being paid commission for naivete?
No, I think I'll just ride out the storm and await one good mod down the line. I know it will be **** at first and I know Valve can easily **** it up. Æthelwulf has a great point too, but this might just allow for more talent to give modding a try.

TheFlyingFishy said:
All of these studios will be based on the premise that forsaking your independent goals for monetary gain is a positive thing. If not a lot of people are paying for a hard combat overhaul, there's a good chance it'll be made easier to boost sales. This isn't what modding should be. A big part of modding is to cater to niche audiences with features that were too fringe to risk putting in the base game.
I think you're too focused on mods that change how the game works, like the combat and etc. To be honest, that will always be down to what people like and I think people will always try to cater to certain niches. What this might make better, however, is actual new content being added. Like that Portal 2's Tag mod. They made new levels, created a new character, a storyline and added voice acting and sold it as a mod, but it was basically a DLC made by other people.

This is ridiculous. Whose idea was this? Not the modders, surely. If a majority of them wanted to sell their mods they wouldn't have been doing mods for free for all those years in the first place. I get that they deserve reward and recognition for their work and that's what donations are for, but this is just another cash-grab from Valve.

Hah anyone who defends this is a joke, GTFO.

Making mods not free has no relation whatsoever to what kind of quality the mods will have. Just as you can have free total conversion mods that are in fact way better than the paid games they are made  for, and just as you can have **** DLCs for a great moddable game with epic free mods. Ever heard of Europa Barbarorum? That was all ****ing free. WHo did a better job? CA or EB team? No question about that.

Seriously im never going to ****ing buy any freaking paid mod. No actually i will ****ing torrent them all and upload them to all the freaking websites i can find just so they get ****ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom