El Classico

Users who are viewing this thread

2e19g5u.jpg

Sunday at 19:30 BST, "El Classico" is happening. The Guard of Istiniar vs Apis Europae. What few people know is the history these clans share, and why this matchup is called "El Classico". This article aims to expand on the history of both teams, and why this matchup is borderline legendary.

Watch it tonight at 19:30BST on MB_tv

The History of The Guard of Istiniar
2n9dsh5.png
Dreaon, MonoPoliS, Piccolo

The Guard of Istiniar, IG for short, was formed the 20th of February, 2010. Making it the oldest clan continually active in the game. IG has always been a top team. The aim of this clan is “to have fun playing Warband in public and in organized battles”. As with every clan, some individuals have had their issues with IG, but in general they are widely known as a respectable and strong clan. A clan that looks like they will survive the game.

IG own the biggest battle server in public Warband. IG_Battlegrounds, a server everyone knows and where competitive players hone their skills. They are known for their strict recruiting policy, and how they train new players to become a part of the competitive scene.

The first competitive result I could find was a 10-10 score vs Runaway Scorpions. According to the IG clan thread on the Taleworlds Forums, by last June they had played a total of 99 competitive matches, of which 77 wins, 3 draws and 19 losses. If we exclude the draws this gives them a 80,21% win rate.

IG were very dominant at the start of their competitive career. Winning several tournaments and claiming their throne. A throne they would keep for quite a while. You have to feel respect for this clan. As they have been one of the teams to beat for such a long time, while contributing to the community with their popular battle server, IG_Battlegrounds. It is no small feat to keep a clan as big as IG going for such a long time.
I think this was the biggest issue IG had to deal with. Themselves. Keeping a clan that big running without strong leadership is impossible. The fact they are still around shows how dedicated their players and their leaders are.

iqTL8e0.jpg
Dreaon, MonoPoLis and Piccolo

What impresses me the most about IG, this is my personal opinion, is how good they manage to do with the amount of talent they have. This is in no way meant as disrespect to the clan or to its players. You could argue that other top teams such as AE, WeDontYou, and in their time Union and RNGD, have a bigger talent pool than IG. Even though that might be the case, IG has always managed to play with the top. Through sheer discipline and hard work. It's something you have to respect.

And I think that reflects in their matches. Their dominant win over Wolfpack, which ended 10-6, but at one point was 10-2, shows how strong they can still be. Some people considered them underdogs. Expected them to lose to a strong Wolfpack team. However they dominated that match. Showed the community they are ready for this tournament.

You can find out more about this team here:
@IG_MGC
The IG forums
Guard of Istiniar YouTube

Key Players for The Guard of Istiniar

1zwceuw.png

Oliveran
The effort Oliveran put into IG the last couple of months cannot be underestimated. He explains the issues IG had in his last interview. As a player, Oliveran is quite the legend. He's one of the oldest players, and he still plays with passion! Known as a bit of an annoying opponent, because he never dies. When needed, he steps up and can simply slay his enemies!

f4mueb.png

Dreaon
Dreaon is known as a strong cavalry player. Not the super star type, but certainly a strong solid cavalry who will get kills every round. A necessity for every team to have.

The History of Apis Europae
2uiaxr9.png
Waurio, Peter and LeRoux

Apis Europae, known as AE, was founded the 11th of February, 2012, almost two years after IG. AE was founded on the idea of being a highly competitive, highly skilled team. A goal they still chase after three years. The general perception of AE is not the best. In the early days of AE, they were perceived as arrogant, cocky and rude. Although this perception has changed, the clan still retains an arrogant image. One they gladly accept, because they feel they have the right to be.

AE started their competitive career in the European Native League (ENL) Division C, which they won. From there on, they started their rise to the top. Winning all the tournaments they joined as AE, except for the Warband Native League (WNL) Season 3, where they would lose 6-10 to the team now known as WeDontYou.
In their career, they have only lost to 5 different teams, Renegades, Union, Nameless, WeDontYou and Heroes. They have a win rate of 91,53%, making the most successful team in the scene.

AE experienced a struggle for the last few months. Losing to WeDontYou certainly damaged their confidence, and as any team at the top of any sport, they had to find a way to remain at the top. This tournament is their chance to prove they still are number one. They certainly feel a lot of pressure to perform well. A second place is not an option for this team, they aim to be number one.

2z7h10o.jpg
LeRoux and Cleric 'Baggo' Johnson

Some players think AE 'drained' the competitive scene of its talent. Having players like Cleric_Johnson, M, Peter, Shemaforash, Anders and LeRoux makes this team a team to fear. You never know with AE. Even when they're slacking, they are still a team to fear, simply due to the talent they can play with.

You can find more about this team here:
@AE_Warband
The AE Forums

Key Players for Apis Europae

288t7w6.png

Cleric_Johnson
Perhaps one of the strongest personalities in the scene. Cleric has an opinion about everything and isn't afraid to show it. Known for his ideas on "Infantry Psychology" and "Free Baggo", this player is someone who will force his will on you. A monster in infantry, with a passionate hate for archers.

a58qh.png

Peter
For a long time, Peter was known as the best player in Warband. He utterly dominated both public and matches. Perhaps the most talented player of all time. He made the game look effortless. Peter is the kind of player who can turn matches if he wants too. He has the ability to kill multiple people in quick succession, time and time again.

Where did the rivalry come from?

When AE was founded, some of the top players from IG joined them (e.g. Morii, Crusader, Razer, LeRoux). They felt they had served their purpose in IG, and were ready for a new challenge in the Warband competitive scene, AE seemed the perfect place to go.

When AE was founded, IG was still the big boy in town. The team to beat. Due to the tension over the players who left IG to join AE, and the general arrogant attitude of AE, this resulted in a fierce rivalry. Even now, after all this time, both teams still feel a healthy rivalry. Even though this match is not the final of the European Championship Series (ECS) Season 2, both teams certainly will give it their all.

For AE, this is a match they cannot lose. Not only due to their (now friendly) rivalry with IG, but also due to the fact they have had their struggles after losing to WeDontYou in WNL 3. They need this match to prove to themselves they can take on top teams.

For IG, this is a chance to prove to themselves they are back. They have also had their struggles, and if it wasn't for the effort Oliveran put into IG the last couple of months, maybe IG wouldn't be in this position. They want to win this to prove to themselves their hard work has paid off. And they are ready to compete with the best.

How did the previous matches between these teams go? And why is this match so important?

AE and IG have faced of 7 times before. Each time AE managed to win, meaning they have a clean record vs IG. The first time they played was Friday the 9th of November, 2012. AE would win this match 14-2. At the time this was a big win for AE. Taking down one of the big teams solidified their own position as a top team.

If you look at the results, you would say IG never had a say in the matches, and they were one-sided affairs. However this is not correct. Due to the rivalry these teams had, both teams put in maximum effort every time they face off.
You could say AE had bigger rivalries, with Union, Renegades and WeDontYou. I don't think that's the case. “El Classico” always had and will always have a personal feeling attached to it. This matchup represents more than an official match in a tournament. It has always been about proving dominance over the other team.

The last team these teams met in a tournament was in week 8 of the WNL 4, AE would win 12-4. As I stated before, IG has had their struggles the last few months. And this tournament is their chance to prove themselves.

This is why I think this matchup is so important, there's more at stake than just a match. Make sure to tune in Sunday evening! The match will be streamed by @CaptainLust and MB_tv!

DISCLAIMER: Any of the stats I used in this article are based on the information I could find. I am unaware of any other matches or tournaments played by these teams.
Article written by @LeRouxTheBee, pictures taken and edited by @bombawarband.

fc1h6e.jpg

Really well written article, read things I knew, learnt some others I didn't.

I really hope this match will bring all the expections it promises and not turn into a "one-sided match" like it's too often the case. AE are my favorites but IG are not to be understimated as always.

Good luck both !

Back
Top Bottom