*Eight simple ways to improve Banner lord multiplayer and a poll to see the priority.

Which of these issues do you agree should be fixed.

• 1. Cavalry bumping specifically lances at point blank range.

Votes: 14 20.3%
  • 2. Allow crouching during combat

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • 3. Extending shields invisibly to offset where they can't be moved to block.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • 4. Removing left and right blocks from round shields, or moving them closer to the center

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • 5. Slow down crushed through classes so regular infantry is faster or remove this mechanic

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • 6. Two handed hammers do a weirdly high amount of damage to horses and should be fixed

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • 7. Remove the stun from over 10 damage so that 2v1's are actually possible again

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • 8. The crashing servers (I believe this is the most important)

Votes: 58 84.1%
  • none of the above

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • 9. Chambering

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Nice to see you point out directional blocking for round shields, never thought about it but yes, it does feel like right and left and excessive in terms of of far to the side the block is

2 and 5 maybe, the rest I dont really see a point in at all tbh.

didn't vote in the poll, people just tick lots of things anyways - currently everything has 2 votes from 3 voters lol
+1 to this

I just want to point out that the round shield thing ends up being super useful when defending against arrows while climbing ladders in several situations.
This is a specific situation that would be problematic, though you could just let people turn their torso on ladders. Then round shields don't have two blocks that fail to protect 90% of your body.
[...]

And why not give all shields similar capabilities? Why is it that with Sturgian round shields I can protect my head while climbing a ladder or receiving arrows from the sky with blocking up and with others I can't? This is something I've been wondering about for >2 years (several open threads). Taleworlds never seemed to be interested in this possibility (nor tested btw), aferer Misteroutoftime master server was shut down (before could test it), I was pushed to create Hybrid Blocking mod for SP (sorry for the spam).

Chaos is a ladder, Native (00:00-00:32) / Mod (00:32-END)Hybrid Blocking, the concept

I'm looking forward to try it out when we get our hands on custom servers in MP environments.

Improve bannerlord and the second highest thing chosen is crouching in combat? Welp, glad the devs don't listen.

Do you really think that will actually increase the population in meaningful way

Fixing server crashes should have been priority number 1, I remember playing the first sieges in the beta, it crashed out of no where, we were a few days away from the game release, and I was thinking to myself... yeah this servers crashes will be fixed... How can you run MP game with all this crashes...
2 years later.... 🤡

Something about the cav. The start of the vid I posted - some dude v a cav, chasing it with a 2h as if that's gonna work.
Second part of the vid, i had a go with the guy. What I try to do is step around, hit the head of the horse before I get hit and all that.
If I'm getting trampled (for me) its cause haven't been focusing on it. The horse walking at me and still trampling me... well hmmm. That would make dealing with slow cav a lot easier.
From a realism point of view, i'd be **** scared of a horse walking at me even slowly.
From a functionality point of view, cav that's walking around slowly and pocking the public isn't really the intended purpose of the unit, so dealing with them easily while they are slow would make sense.

p.s. sory for weird vid rez

Last edited:
All too often while playing bannerlord you die and it's the game's fault. When I die in a video game I want to reflect on what I could have done better to prevent that from happening. This is taken away when there are this many flaws in the multiplayer. Alot of people chiming in to say most of these are needless but I genuinely think how much the hammers do to horses is a straight up bug. The things I'm pushing for here aren't for me I'm not trying to change the game because I'm bad at it. I'm trying to improve the game because it could be better. I'm in the highest bracket of skill level available for my region already I don't need git good pats on the back. I'm taking the thousands of hours I've invested into the multiplayer and applying them with astute observations that are good for the game. I think if somebody can actually prove that any of these changes wouldn't make the game better I'd be happy to strike it off of my list, that hasn't happened yet.

I'm curious, why do people want to allow crouching during combat? If it's anything like it is in chiv2 with people squatkicking all over the battlefield it looks incredibly stupid, and it's only really necessary there because they don't let you actually hold blocks.

I'd be fine with allowing people to swing/block while crouched as long as they can't transition from squat/stand or stand/squat while swinging/blocking and the animation time stays like it is now. I.e. allow an archer to crouch down and shoot, don't allow a person in active combat to spam the squat button while actively swinging/fighting.

Mdf is "on the highest brackt skill level" and recommends crouching during melee to "Improve the game" while we have crushing servers or wierd hitboxes. I think its quite ridiculous how every 5 messages you say you are top level player with bunch of hours and yet you add the "For you most important problem (Crushing)" after bunch of people recommend it in the comments. At this point im not even wondering why taleworlds ignores us.

Mdf is "on the highest brackt skill level" and recommends crouching during melee to "Improve the game" while we have crushing servers or wierd hitboxes. I think its quite ridiculous how every 5 messages you say you are top level player with bunch of hours and yet you add the "For you most important problem (Crushing)" after bunch of people recommend it in the comments. At this point im not even wondering why taleworlds ignores us.
Okay, you win. It was wrong of me not to include that as a priority. Does that invalidate everything I've ever said and also undo my birth into this world because my existence and anything I would ever put forward are now meaningless? Because everything you've said make that implication when I don't think we've reached that conclusion yet. I mean, I did correct that mistake right? But here you are with a bone to pick for no reason it would seem. Maybe just maybe it's difficult to listen to people online because other people continually dig into anything they say without provocation justification clarification or the desire to actually achieve anything other then dragging other people down as low as they feel on the inside? Maybe, this comment here is out there for the homies, if you feel sad on the inside you should talk to a therapist buddy. Don't take your damage out on me. Move on.

:grin: <3

I'm curious, why do people want to allow crouching during combat? If it's anything like it is in chiv2 with people squatkicking all over the battlefield it looks incredibly stupid, and it's only really necessary there because they don't let you actually hold blocks.

I'd be fine with allowing people to swing/block while crouched as long as they can't transition from squat/stand or stand/squat while swinging/blocking and the animation time stays like it is now. I.e. allow an archer to crouch down and shoot, don't allow a person in active combat to spam the squat button while actively swinging/fighting.

ay, man. Chill. I just think I should be allowed to duck how about that. I don't need to swing or even be able to block. Just let me move my body like a human can and would, it's already implemented into the game, why is it restricted? Why you hatin bro, it doesn't look silly to do completely normal feats of human capability man. Like the crouching animation is a bit off for sure but... it's there.. I see an arrow flying into my face but I swang my sword five seconds ago wtf is this handicap for?

Okay, you win. It was wrong of me not to include that as a priority. Does that invalidate everything I've ever said and also undo my birth into this world because my existence and anything I would ever put forward are now meaningless? Because everything you've said make that implication when I don't think we've reached that conclusion yet. I mean, I did correct that mistake right? But here you are with a bone to pick for no reason it would seem. Maybe just maybe it's difficult to listen to people online because other people continually dig into anything they say without provocation justification clarification or the desire to actually achieve anything other then dragging other people down as low as they feel on the inside? Maybe, this comment here is out there for the homies, if you feel sad on the inside you should talk to a therapist buddy. Don't take your damage out on me. Move on.
Brother im not the one validating my opition based on 3k hours and playing in a "Major" Division, I think most of your points are useless or atleast useless for now and the only valid point is crushing that wasent even made by you. Instead of forcing your usless ideas like "crouching during combat" make a post where people together can choose the most important ways to improve it. I mean just look how many views this post has, but only 33 votes and most of them arent even on the idea you wanted in the first place, second most voted is obviuslly the hyper gamer changing mechanic that will make multiplayer grow by 200%

Let's see, being able to crouch can be used to perform feints/evasive actions to counter enemy blows... this is combat wise truism...something like this:

giphy.gif

That said, I agree that attacks from a crouched position should be static and automatically deactivated (back to stand pose) when the player makes any movement in any direction. If we look at how spear/pike bracing works in Bannerlord we see that the devs decided to give it mobility; which is something I find annoying/bad choice and IMO it should be totally static (directable but losing the brace action after any repositioning). Edit

giphy.gif

It's funny how certain additions that come from VC heritage like overhead stabs have been introduced in Bannerlord and others like shield hit taunts and crouching with attack possibility have not. I wish some day can have something in line with Vikingr mod offered... mean while a tear drop down my cheek.

Last edited:
Brother im not the one validating my opition based on 3k hours and playing in a "Major" Division, I think most of your points are useless or atleast useless for now and the only valid point is crushing that wasent even made by you. Instead of forcing your usless ideas like "crouching during combat" make a post where people together can choose the most important ways to improve it. I mean just look how many views this post has, but only 33 votes and most of them arent even on the idea you wanted in the first place, second most voted is obviuslly the hyper gamer changing mechanic that will make multiplayer grow by 200%
This is your standard of important issues to fix in the game? These are two things you've ever posted about what needs to be done to improve this game. You are talking trash to me? Get outta here lmao. Haters gonna hate I guess. Hey why not go post a thread where people can choose the most important ways to improve bannerlord. You seem to know exactly what needs to be done regarded that so why waste your time talking to me instead of doing what you think needs to be done?

Let's see, being able to crouch can be used to perform feints/evasive actions to counter enemy blows... this is combat wise truism...something like this:

giphy.gif

That said, I agree that attacks from a crouched position should be static and automatically deactivated (back to stand pose) when the player makes any movement in any direction. If we look at how spear/pike bracing works in Bannerlord we see that the devs decided to give it mobility; which is something I find annoying/bad choice and IMO it should be totally static (directable but losing the brace action after any repositioning).

giphy.gif

It's funny how certain additions that come from VC heritage like overhead stabs have been introduced in Bannerlord and others like shield hit taunts and crouching with attack possibility have not. I wish some day can have something in line with Vikingr mod offered... mean while a tear drop down my cheek.

Let's go me and the historian agree today this has got to be a good omen, usually Terco in the past has not agreed with me ever and now here we are preaching the same medicine today. That's how crouching should work. I also think that pike movement is wonky and silly too. Pikes had to be set up typically they would be dug into the ground behind the infantry holding them historically, not inching up ahead to meet the cavalry that is preposterous.

This is your standard of important issues to fix in the game? These are two things you've ever posted about what needs to be done to improve this game. You are talking trash to me? This as the entire compilation of suggestions that you've made. Get outta here lmao. Haters gonna hate I guess. Hey why not go post a thread where people can choose the most important ways to improve bannerlord. You seem to know exactly what needs to be done regarded that so why waste your time talking to me instead of doing what you think needs to be done?
Lmao you are so delusional, you are jumping out here with "Simple ways" or "Why players arent allowed to be good at the game" and give arguments like adding crouching, my suggastion wasent any major thing just a quality of life improvment, and than you post the same thing twice, i wouldnt be suprised if and "Non of the above option" would be most voted one, and i find it quite funny how you ignore my top most recent post about Lance knockdown that was atleast replied to by an Dev. There is a diffrence between a minor quality of life 5min change and a whole new mechanic.

But i will let it be as im inferior to your 3k hours, i wish luck to your great suggestions. :oops:
Hey why not go post a thread where people can choose the most important ways to improve bannerlord.
And why do you think ? It will be either ignored by the devs cuz some people like to post their ****ty ideas multiple times :roll: or covered with other spam of question asking why the server is crushing.

And why do you think ? It will be either ignored by the devs cuz some people like to post their ****ty ideas multiple times :roll: or covered with other spam of question asking why the server is crushing.
Listen! For once in your life just internalize what I'm actually saying instead of regurgitating the constant spew of garbage that is your attitude. That's the difference between me and you, I'm going to add a none of the above option. Please stop posting hateful comments on my thread after that. I don't appreciate your nonsensical misspelled frantic and maligned opinions. I'm capable of changing my behavior and taking advice, please meet my standards instead of trying to pull this entire conversation down for no reason. Goodbye.

Listen! For once in your life just internalize what I'm actually saying instead of regurgitating the constant spew of garbage that is your attitude. That's the difference between me and you, I'm going to add a none of the above option. Please stop posting hateful comments on my thread after that. I don't appreciate your nonsensical misspelled frantic and maligned opinions. I'm capable of changing my behavior and taking advice, please meet my standards instead of trying to pull this entire conversation down for no reason. Goodbye.
Ok nvm lets keep i going i guess ? Hatefull ? I just laughed on how you try to validate your opinion with bannerlord hours, without really insulting you.
if you feel sad on the inside you should talk to a therapist buddy. Don't take your damage out on me.
Then your high div player Ego kicks to make it personal ? In my last message i also didnt ask for an non of the above option i just state that if such option was present (Should have added, "from the begining) it would outvote every other one. You talk about spilling out grabage and seperating our behavior while every line of your text contains an either pasiv-agresiv or indirect insult towards me :mrgreen:
please meet my standards instead of trying to pull this entire conversation down for no reason
I would rather say that you initiated the pull, in the replay i pointed out above
I don't appreciate your nonsensical misspelled frantic and maligned opinions. I'm capable of changing my behavior and taking advice
Well sorry but english is my third language, so i feel its okey until its understandable :grin: Also you like to validate yourself dont ya, you have to additionaly state that "You can take advice", cool, but it seems like you are very bad at taking critc. I mean you will rather look up my post history leave out the imprortant one and than just keep on going how bad i am Haha ?

Bannerlord players are so dumb that when someone ask to improve on something the other **** talks him and tells him his ideas are the ones that need to be improved on. Why not work together and have everything fixed lmao. Why do devs dont talk to us? Brother thas because they dont give a crap about their community is not so hard, nothing you post is going to make any substantial change

Brux you mad because i don't agree with you but you haven't said anything of value to agree with. Everything you've said in these threads is to detract what other people have said. You've given no useful input at any point and you're blowing up my thread with pointless comments. If you hate my ideas so much why are you giving them so much attention and interest by constantly replying. I can't delete my old thread but there were some really good examples of useful comments that actually made a difference or made me change my thread in some way because they had merit and I'd love to give credit where it's due and shine a spotlight on useful dialogue and what good it can do to improve the state of the game.
There's a lot to criticise about the combat, but I don't agree with some of these points.

I'm pretty sure you can still block in time after being hit in a 1v1 encounter. Once you've done that, you can then attack them, but you'd need to do so quickly if they're still attacking. It's not a turn-based game. I don't think there's anything about the game that doesn't allow you to get better at this.

I remember TG_Arena had quick ducking, but 1) it looked a bit weird, and 2) these kind of evasive manoeuvres (especially dodge-rolling) miss the point of M&B's system. The game uses a direction-based combat system, so a large part of the melee is supposed to be about blocking attacks in the right direction. That's just what the game is, and it's one big area where you can definitely get better at the game (to the point where you'll feel like a Jedi master if you've mastered it).

Because it's a skill-based combat system, which again you can definitely get better at. You just need the wherewithal to hold up your shield at the right moment. Making the shield always active will bring on too much of a luck-based factor (or make them OP), and I think inactive shields do still affect projectiles at the very least.

This is an area where employing good footwork and awareness of incoming cavalry will help you get better at the game. Bump-lancing is something that can be fairly balanced and skill-based. Dealing with crushthrough, footshots and horse archers is completely unfun, but rearing up cavalry with polearms (before they bump-lance you) is definitely a fun thing to do in M&B. They just need to change the cavalry and polearm mechanics in lots of ways to improve the overall experience.

There are some shields that work better than others for coverage, but I do think archers can bypass shields way too easily. Sometimes if you've bothered to buy a shield, equip the shield, hold RMB, point the camera at the archer, direct the shield in the downward position, the archer can still shoot you in the legs (let alone the feet). Preferably the shields would be enlarged generally for more coverage, otherwise invisible borders might have to be used. This is an element they could have improved on (since it was also an issue in Warband), but they've made it worse instead.

Projectiles going through shields is also another issue, and apparently it can happen due to "desynch" in the current state of the game.

I agree crushthrough is a cheesy mechanic, although it's not as bad as it used to be.

Before they first introduced it in 2020, the community explicitly told them they thought it was a terrible idea. They added it anyway to the MP, and it was a huge disaster. A poll was made on these boards in which the VAST majority voted for it to be removed or reduced. One of the few people who wanted it to stay in its entirety was a TW employee. Eventually they did something to reduce its prevalance (after about six months), but I think they silently increased it somewhat again when they added the perks.
You didn't clarify you were talking about 1v2. Stun might be a problem, but (for what it's worth) I think a bigger problem for 1v2 is the game's sluggish foot movement in between and around enemies (not sprinting).

I've played the game a lot, and I never felt like I came across 2h attacks "curving" around shields or blocks. If they've changed it very recently, then fair enough, but I'd prefer to see a video. And even then, at least for discussion's sake, we shouldn't treat it like it has to stay. If they're changing it, it can be changed further. Unless they won't because the release is near, in which case they're not going to add "ducking" either.

This might be a different point, but sometimes with a 1h sword I might look further away from the player while swinging to (supposedly) reach around shields. Although, I feel like it's more of a case of getting the enemy to drop their shield or making them look the wrong way or even just walking around to their side (or just doing random stuff and getting lucky).

I think the wide swing arcs are pretty bad, because they're clumsy, and they can get stuck on things around you (even far behind you). It makes the gameplay comparable to how Warband was during one of its earliest beta builds. The exact same issues were brought up in both the Warband and Bannerlord beta periods, but this time around they're not making the same efforts to address the same issues.

Callum (TW): This seems to be working as intended as far as I can tell.

FBohler: Worrying to see Callum trying to justify the unjustifiable...

The game automatically switching attack direction for you when you don't move the mouse is another issue (shown in the video). It used to be that swinging and missing would be what switched the direction automatically, because I guess in some realistic sense the weapon would naturally cross over to the other side (at least horizontally). That was bad enough. But they obviously tried changing it, and now (instead of removing it entirely) it's still there, but it instead happens when you actually hit something, which is even worse, and it doesn't bring on any petty "realistic" logic at all.

I agree that cavalry and polearms mechanics ought to be improved.

They've made some very small improvements during EA, but it's my impression that they're mostly okay with making (sorry to be blunt) an untalented tech-demo simulator with paradoxically detailed yet shallow gameplay mechanics, so don't get your hopes up.

I don't agree with most of these points, but there is one point I like to add: bump couches. They are absolute garbage and should be removed but it won't happen because, TW.

Also like I said rumor was the server crashes were already going to be fixed or had been fixed by the community. I changed that and the entire focus of this post once the guy who runs the custom NA servers mentioned it. I know that's a higher priority, but does that mean we can't get anything else done for the game at all?

Back
Top Bottom