Editing Death Rate

Users who are viewing this thread

For all "it's fine as it is" people: Try fighting all your battles manually, and not savescumming.
For me, even with some save scumming, I still burned through at least 10 companions, and half of Vlandia and Sturgia (the two factions that most fought) in about ten years. Whole clans went extinct.
If death was used in auto resolve as well, I am pretty sure at least half of Calradia would be gone after a decade.
The combination of the AI constantly declaring war, lords constantly escaping from imprisonment and respawning with another army, and the AI's tendency to pointlessly suicide even noble units makes a 10% death rate way, way too high. I can't wait until they lower it drastically. I guess until then I will mostly autoresolve and savescum.

EDIT: Look at it this way. In every battle, one side loses, which means on average, a lord will go down at least once every 2 battles (but probably a lot more). With a 10% chance to die each time they do that, the life expectancy of a lord would be at most 20 battles. How long do you think it takes a lord to fight 20 battles?
Exactly, lords should also value their lives more in-battle, maybe tie it to personality/traits so some lords will still charge without a care in the world but others will keep behind their armies and try to flee if things go south for them.

Exactly, lords should also value their lives more in-battle, maybe tie it to personality/traits so some lords will still charge without a care in the world but others will keep behind their armies and try to flee if things go south for them.
If you tied lords' recklessness to their personality traits, it would probably lead to the extinction of some traits. You'd wind up in the late game with all Cautious lords and no Daring ones

If you tied lords' recklessness to their personality traits, it would probably lead to the extinction of some traits. You'd wind up in the late game with all Cautious lords and no Daring ones
It doesn't really matter how cautious lords are, because they are (almost) guaranteed to go down when they lose, and one side of the battle will always lose.
So reckless lords will live for an average of 10 battles, and cautious ones for 20, but that is still way lower than the time it takes for a new generation to grow. If the current death rate was applied to auto-resolve, Calradia would be empty within a few years.
As it currently is, I guess it's a way to punish the player, or encourage them to save scum, or auto resolve themselves, I don't really know which.

It is an irrelevant, stupid and irritating feature, because people simply reload the game if something serious happens. If someone dies at an advanced level will restart the game over from the beginning? Of course not.
Last time my wife died when we conquered a city, a city that would probably be attributed to those who were not even in the battle. So it was my wife or someone else's city, the choice was easy. auto_save 3.
Yes, I either completely restart the game or just move on. I don't save-scum... to me that feels very close to cheating, so I prefer not-to. Sometimes I like playing by ironman rules too, so if I start a new game and I am captured by looters I reset the game... I wish there was a death mechanic for the main character so that it happens for real, but yeah... Maybe I'm more of a masochist when it comes to games though

(Immersion is most important for me in a game, so if I load saves and such it feels like I just unimmersed myself from the game world)

For all "it's fine as it is" people: Try fighting all your battles manually, and not savescumming.
For me, even with some save scumming, I still burned through at least 10 companions, and half of Vlandia and Sturgia (the two factions that most fought) in about ten years. Whole clans went extinct.
If death was used in auto resolve as well, I am pretty sure at least half of Calradia would be gone after a decade.
The combination of the AI constantly declaring war, lords constantly escaping from imprisonment and respawning with another army, and the AI's tendency to pointlessly suicide even noble units makes a 10% death rate way, way too high. I can't wait until they lower it drastically. I guess until then I will mostly autoresolve and savescum.

EDIT: Look at it this way. In every battle, one side loses, which means on average, a lord will go down at least once every 2 battles (but probably a lot more). With a 10% chance to die each time they do that, the life expectancy of a lord would be at most 20 battles. How long do you think it takes a lord to fight 20 battles?
literally nobody is saying "it is fine as it is". I am saying that the death feature is needed in the game (or there would be overpopulation of lords), and the percentage should definitely be lowered. They keept it at 10% to test for bugs... yeah, companions do die too often, I only play battles (no auto-resolve), so I know. They're really not worth getting for fighting purposes. They will put it at 2% after they test for bugs, that's all... they don't intend to keep it at this bad percentage.

Only lords participating in battle with player may die.
Only if you fight your battles manually.

Basically what does it mean is that lords in player faction dying faster than in any another faction. Problem will remain no matter what are the chances of lords death on the field, 2 percents, ten or forty.
Let's say on average 2 lords dying per war on each side thanks to player participation in battles here and there. After 5 wars with 5 different factions all of those enemy factions loosing 2 lords, at the same time player faction in those 5 wars loosing 10 lords.
In practice you can attack enemy army twice as weak as your own and see on casaulties screen that technically you won, but 5 lords on your side died in battle.

As much as i love being able to kill enemy lords on the field, with current implementation of death in battles it's just designed to be another artifical obstacle and annoyance for players. When battle starts you can give orders to infantry, archers etc but there is no option for "lords and companions, you are useless anyway so just sit there, behind the hill where nobody can harm you". And lords wouldn't listen to you anyway if you join to battle between allies and enemies.

It's also silly that lords are participating in battles left and rigth. Perhaps instead of making them die, heavely wounding them could be a better option. That way you don't have to figth that same lord over and over again and factions won't spam new parties. Somehow bringing a cooldown to the defated side also will make it worthwhile to hunt enemy parties. Say, I'm a litte clan and i want to help my faction, i can hunt down enemy lords and actually contribute in the war.

once AI executions are implemented death in battle will be probably become redundant and be severely nerfed, until then it's only an inconvenience that disrupts the game

once AI executions are implemented death in battle will be probably become redundant and be severely nerfed, until then it's only an inconvenience that disrupts the game
They are implemented, just hilariously rare, like a 2% chance if the guy who beat you is an enemy.

Yes, I either completely restart the game or just move on. I don't save-scum... to me that feels very close to cheating, so I prefer not-to. Sometimes I like playing by ironman rules too, so if I start a new game and I am captured by looters I reset the game... I wish there was a death mechanic for the main character so that it happens for real, but yeah... Maybe I'm more of a masochist when it comes to games though

(Immersion is most important for me in a game, so if I load saves and such it feels like I just unimmersed myself from the game world)
Are you saying that if you play a whole week, you reach a certain level, assuming that at the level of already having a kingdom of your own, if you die in a battle against lotters, or whatever , you go back to the beginning?
Because most of people,use the save if they lose a single battle.

Are you saying that if you play a whole week, you reach a certain level, assuming that at the level of already having a kingdom of your own, if you die in a battle against lotters, or whatever , you go back to the beginning?
Because most of people,use the save if they lose a single battle.
yes, I get myself immersed much in games, and if that immersion is broken (let's say I lose/get captured but I feel like it made more sense to die there than to be captured) then I do restart and start a new playthrough. I am a fan of early game and planning my leveling out usually in rpg's (which is why I keep encouraging the devs to improve the leveling progression). When you are weak and struggling to get somewhere and try different paths it's just fun. So that's a me-thing. When you get too strong, already are accomplished economically, high level etc, it gets a little boring for me because it's so easy, so if my immersion breaks I'd rather just restart to experience the game being somewhat of a challenge again. When they implement a main character death option though I can be more forgiving with myself, but I hope it won't be something like a 2% chance, lol... there aren't that many battles that you lose if you play well as the player. But still better than 0% chance I guess...

Imo death rate is too low.

It should be at least %30 chance of death on knock down. Same goes for AI lords. Battles doesn't feel that thrilling. Yeah you get scared of losing your army or wasting your time being captive. But one thing you should fear the most, your life, has no value in battle. AI should behave cowardly at times. You should be cowardly at times.

If this is not for you, i get you. If this rate were to be tweaked, there should be an option about how high should death rate be. I feel like i should post this on suggestions but whatever.

It should be at least %30 chance of death on knock down. Same goes for AI lords. Battles doesn't feel that thrilling. Yeah you get scared of losing your army or wasting your time being captive. But one thing you should fear the most, your life, has no value in battle. AI should behave cowardly at times. You should be cowardly at times.

30% is too much, especially if it counts AI vs AI battles. You would soon have a ghost map.

That said, the combat AI needs to behave better (in terms of survivability) and not constantly attack only

This mod removes death on battlefield https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/2497?tab=description
And RBM combat module decreases death rate to "planned" 2%.
I don't play anymore but I have to say that your dedication to this game and making it better for players is impressive. I tip my fedora to you.

tenor.gif

Just a reminder that TW's been "gathering info" on the 20% death rate for 10 months now. Here's hoping that they come to a decision on it some time in the next 10 months, though if I had to guess, they'll need to extend that by another 6 months or so.

Just a reminder that TW's been "gathering info" on the 20% death rate for 10 months now

What a murderously Boring solution. A 20% across the board chance of dying? Why use such a static example and make what should be an interesting event utterly -"lifeless..."

Tie these things into dynamic variables! Meaning (one example) -if a Lord has a particular Aggressive 'Fight to the Last Man' type of battle mentality -then give him a Bonus on the Auto Calc for battles but also Up his chance of dying. Far more interesting and easy enough for a Grade schooler to code. Really -these types of across the board Math solutions make the game feel lifeless - i minds well go read a chart than actually play

What a murderously Boring solution. A 20% across the board chance of dying? Why use such a static example and make what should be an interesting event utterly -"lifeless..."

Tie these things into dynamic variables! Meaning (one example) -if a Lord has a particular Aggressive 'Fight to the Last Man' type of battle mentality -then give him a Bonus on the Auto Calc for battles but also Up his chance of dying. Far more interesting and easy enough for a Grade schooler to code. Really -these types of across the board Math solutions make the game feel lifeless - i minds well go read a chart than actually play
Last Days of the Third Age mod had a pretty cool death mechanic. For one thing, lord death was very rare so it was a big deal when it happened, and it only happened in ai battles so the player wasn't causing it. And when someone died, there'd be a memorial left on the map, and you could go there and pay your respects, or piss on the grave if they were an enemy, or you could vow revenge which started a quest where you had to kill a certain number of the troop that killed the late lord in a certain time. It was a nice touch.

Back
Top Bottom