Editing Death Rate

Users who are viewing this thread

I dislike the death rate, vehemently. I'm wondering if there is a way for me to edit my game files to reduce death rate the way i like, couldn't find a mod that does the job. Don't feel like braking the game files so if there's anyone experienced at modding the bannerlord, perhaps we can solve the issue instead of TW fixing it.
Tnx in advance!

I don't have a problem with the rate of death (though it seems disproportionately high for player instigated battles).

My problem is the utter randomness of it all.

I think it would help for starters if death only occurred with head blows on named Characters. I mean surviving a javelin lodged in your torso or extremities seems somewhat plausible. But I'm sorry if there's a javelin lodged in your skull you should probably be dead.

This would also give the player some agency in killing/capturing Characters in battle too. Say there's a Character you just loathe (maybe they raid you a lot or show up at the worst times). So you really want them dead, but executing them is dishonorable. Well in battle just make sure the final blow by you is at their noggin and they will hopefully trouble you no more.

But alternatively let's say you're trying to be a "nice guy" and you don't want to kill a named Character. Perhaps you'd rather have prisoners or are hoping to convert them someday. Would it not be prudent to allow the player to simply wound them in battle with a non-noggin finishing blow? (Granted I realize Blunt damage does this, but that really limits weapon choices. And that should be more for capturing regular troops anyways.)

Alternatively maybe Characters should only die when their side loses? I got to be honest it's really really really frustrating to win a hard pitched battle by the skin of your teeth, only to find out like 3-4 allied Characters perished and the enemy didn't lose a single Character of theirs. You can say that's realistic, but it's not fun. I really don't want to get into a habit or replaying battles I've won just so I can avoid RNG killing half my Companions/Parties.

I think the most frustrating experience so far was when I had a Party of 100 or so fighting like 30 Looters. I had 1 casualty, which go figure was my highly trained Level 20 something Infantry Captain. Again you can say that's "realistic" but 95% of the playerbase is just going to reload their last save in these scenarios. Or worse rage-quit.

Honestly maybe their should be a toggle to disable battle deaths for Friendly Characters. I mean we can already adjust friendly damage why not add that as well? Just to be frank, the death system as it currently is implemented will result in a lot of mods. But perhaps that's just inevitable given the subject and everyone wanting different things.

I don't have a problem with the rate of death (though it seems disproportionately high for player instigated battles).

My problem is the utter randomness of it all.

I think it would help for starters if death only occurred with head blows on named Characters. I mean surviving a javelin lodged in your torso or extremities seems somewhat plausible. But I'm sorry if there's a javelin lodged in your skull you should probably be dead.

This would also give the player some agency in killing/capturing Characters in battle too. Say there's a Character you just loathe (maybe they raid you a lot or show up at the worst times). So you really want them dead, but executing them is dishonorable. Well in battle just make sure the final blow by you is at their noggin and they will hopefully trouble you no more.

But alternatively let's say you're trying to be a "nice guy" and you don't want to kill a named Character. Perhaps you'd rather have prisoners or are hoping to convert them someday. Would it not be prudent to allow the player to simply wound them in battle with a non-noggin finishing blow? (Granted I realize Blunt damage does this, but that really limits weapon choices. And that should be more for capturing regular troops anyways.)

Alternatively maybe Characters should only die when their side loses? I got to be honest it's really really really frustrating to win a hard pitched battle by the skin of your teeth, only to find out like 3-4 allied Characters perished and the enemy didn't lose a single Character of theirs. You can say that's realistic, but it's not fun. I really don't want to get into a habit or replaying battles I've won just so I can avoid RNG killing half my Companions/Parties.

I think the most frustrating experience so far was when I had a Party of 100 or so fighting like 30 Looters. I had 1 casualty, which go figure was my highly trained Level 20 something Infantry Captain. Again you can say that's "realistic" but 95% of the playerbase is just going to reload their last save in these scenarios. Or worse rage-quit.

Honestly maybe their should be a toggle to disable battle deaths for Friendly Characters. I mean we can already adjust friendly damage why not add that as well? Just to be frank, the death system as it currently is implemented will result in a lot of mods. But perhaps that's just inevitable given the subject and everyone wanting different things.
Sounds really cool but i somehow doubt that TW would implement a sophisticated system like Headshot/Torsoshot etc, but i would really want to see that. What can be done is tweaking the situation in which the death occurs (who can die, who knocked them etc)

Sounds really cool but i somehow doubt that TW would implement a sophisticated system like Headshot/Torsoshot etc, but i would really want to see that. What can be done is tweaking the situation in which the death occurs (who can die, who knocked them etc)
It wouldn't be that sophisticated, not compared to what is already included in OnHit. You could co-opt the already existing stuff for headshot bonus damage.

10% death rate for us is perfectly fine, but for family and companions it is crazy, only because AI don't value their lives and will go nuts until they fall in battle, Would it be tough to make a slider for the death rate?

I find this change extremely annoying. Having it forced upon us is pretty lame. How about some player options so we can set it how we want?

Personally I want births to still be a thing, but I don't want lords (mine or otherwise) to permanently die as the result of battle. Old age is fine, but still it would be better as optional.

And by optional not lumping them all under the same setting, and letting you toggle each setting to your liking.

Personally I want births to still be a thing, but I don't want lords (mine or otherwise) to permanently die as the result of battle.
Let's hope for a proper mod. Seems like TW won't listen us until they get that "data" or whatnot. Devs said they won't change it but it was before anyone had spoke out about it. Wonder if they care about it now.

I find this change extremely annoying. Having it forced upon us is pretty lame. How about some player options so we can set it how we want?

Personally I want births to still be a thing, but I don't want lords (mine or otherwise) to permanently die as the result of battle. Old age is fine, but still it would be better as optional.

And by optional not lumping them all under the same setting, and letting you toggle each setting to your liking.
I have made this exact suggestion since we had death by old age and birth for months so the options was right there, but they just threw it away.

My wife has died ten times and that is the number of times I reloaded the game, it is a frustrating function, mainly because it happens when I achieve a big victory or achieve something important.

Death is a natural part of life, and if we cannot accept it in a video game, how can expect to accept it in real life?
Yes edit the death rate to a lower one to make deaths more meaningful for gameplay, but I think it's a good thing to have in the game

Death is a natural part of life, and if we cannot accept it in a video game, how can expect to accept it in real life?
Yes edit the death rate to a lower one to make deaths more meaningful for gameplay, but I think it's a good thing to have in the game

for us 10% is cool, but the AI don't value life and will fight till they go down so it isnt realistic the death rate for Ai needs to be lower to offset their stupidity

for us 10% is cool, but the AI don't value life and will fight till they go down so it isnt realistic the death rate for Ai needs to be lower to offset their stupidity
all AI fights like that sadly... I think realistic battles mod fixes that, makes them not "speedrun their life" as a youtuber said. I wish they took some inspiration from that mod. I know they want a more fast paced game, but the literal deathballs that are colliding doesn't make for a great gameplay either...

We have this morale system where AI runs away for their life, but somehow they don't value their life at all when it comes to fighting before that. Makes no sense........

The only way to keep companions alive is as archers or horse archers pretty much

all AI fights like that sadly... I think realistic battles mod fixes that, makes them not "speedrun their life" as a youtuber said. I wish they took some inspiration from that mod. I know they want a more fast paced game, but the literal deathballs that are colliding doesn't make for a great gameplay either...

We have this morale system where AI runs away for their life, but somehow they don't value their life at all when it comes to fighting before that. Makes no sense........

The only way to keep companions alive is as archers or horse archers pretty much
exactly, they need to test a % since we lose companions almost every battle, they arent worth having except for governors, caravans or emisarries

It is an irrelevant, stupid and irritating feature, because people simply reload the game if something serious happens. If someone dies at an advanced level will restart the game over from the beginning? Of course not.
Last time my wife died when we conquered a city, a city that would probably be attributed to those who were not even in the battle. So it was my wife or someone else's city, the choice was easy. auto_save 3.

Last edited:
Death is a natural part of life
You just don't send your wife or brother to the frontlines. Also notables rarely died on the battlefield, most of the times they would just fall back. Death is a problem in bannerlord cuz you need some1 to lead the army, for how long can your clan survive?

For all "it's fine as it is" people: Try fighting all your battles manually, and not savescumming.
For me, even with some save scumming, I still burned through at least 10 companions, and half of Vlandia and Sturgia (the two factions that most fought) in about ten years. Whole clans went extinct.
If death was used in auto resolve as well, I am pretty sure at least half of Calradia would be gone after a decade.
The combination of the AI constantly declaring war, lords constantly escaping from imprisonment and respawning with another army, and the AI's tendency to pointlessly suicide even noble units makes a 10% death rate way, way too high. I can't wait until they lower it drastically. I guess until then I will mostly autoresolve and savescum.

EDIT: Look at it this way. In every battle, one side loses, which means on average, a lord will go down at least once every 2 battles (but probably a lot more). With a 10% chance to die each time they do that, the life expectancy of a lord would be at most 20 battles. How long do you think it takes a lord to fight 20 battles?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom