Editing Death Rate

Users who are viewing this thread

I dislike the death rate, vehemently. I'm wondering if there is a way for me to edit my game files to reduce death rate the way i like, couldn't find a mod that does the job. Don't feel like braking the game files so if there's anyone experienced at modding the bannerlord, perhaps we can solve the issue instead of TW fixing it.
Tnx in advance!

The death rate will be lowered to 2% in the future.
Don't feel like waiting who know how many updates. A dev said they will keep it at this rate for a while to collect data... It's ridiculous as it is.
I reckon it isn't a big deal to mod for some1 who knows what he's doing

Inappropriate behavior
It's really fine right now. Just disable it or download a mod if you dont like it.
Did you even read the post??
"couldn't find a mod that does the job". There is no mod... Just asking here if there's someone that knows what to change. "Just disable it" jesus dude... Disabling death also disables the birth. If you can't call the difference between asking for rare deaths and disabling the birth&death, time for a neurological diagnostic.

The idea that they need to keep the death rate so high in order to "gather data" seems really weird to me. I mean its been at 10% for quite some time now. How much data do they need to collect about it? What are they going to learn? That the rate's too high? Just playing the game for one hour will tell you that. Is it really necessary to subject the entire player base to it for so long?

Or maybe 10% is actually the desired death rate and its not gonna change at all.

----------------------

As an aside, this kind of goes with an impression I've gotten from reading various dev comments here and there, that they really seem to rely an awful lot on running simulations and collecting loads of data for all their balancing decisions. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. Its great to have solid data to back up your decisions, but it is possible to overdo it and rely too much on data in place of human judgement. I've seen a ton of forum threads where players are complaining about some aspect of the game feeling off, and the dev response is something to the effect of "We've run hundreds of simulations that show this is balanced just right." But simulations and data can only tell you so much. A lot of times you just have to go by feel. At the end of the day, all that really matters is "Does this play well?", "Do these game systems feel good?, "Is this fun?"

I was reminded of this by a recent Jason Schrier article in Bloomberg about Amazon Game Studios and how they've struggled to put out any decent games despite having some of the best game devs in the industry and all the money in the world. One big problem is Amazon's data-driven culture.
The company is driven by data, and employees are expected to write six-page documents to get major decisions approved. In game development, on the other hand, a phrase often uttered around the office is “finding the fun.” It refers to altering and polishing small aspects of a game to figure out what makes the experience enjoyable. The results are measured only in emotion, which is why many developers say it’s critical for the people in charge to have experience making games.

That's why modders are able to run circles around TW devs and develop major new features in a fraction of the time that TW can do it. They don't need to run weeks of tests for every new idea they have. They just figure out something that they think would make the game better and they put it out there. If it turns out to be unbalanced, they adjust it until it feels right and its done. I think TW could use a little bit more of that approach

The idea that they need to keep the death rate so high in order to "gather data" seems really weird to me. I mean its been at 10% for quite some time now. How much data do they need to collect about it? What are they going to learn? That the rate's too high? Just playing the game for one hour will tell you that. Is it really necessary to subject the entire player base to it for so long?
Bro they didn't even know simulation death has never been working........ their UI team had to tell them after learning it from us. I don't think management plays the game at all.

They are probably just recently even thinking about death which can have huge implications. They probably are leaving the death rate while the figure out what the **** to do when they turn it on for simulations (going to require a massive increase in children from the start even at a 1-2% death rate, i'm sure you saw my post about it .... although I doubt TW did).

Bro they didn't even know simulation death has never been working........ their UI team had to tell them after learning it from us. I don't think management plays the game at all.

They are probably just recently even thinking about death which can have huge implications. They probably are leaving the death rate while the figure out what the **** to do when they turn it on for simulations (going to require a massive increase in children from the start even at a 1-2% death rate, i'm sure you saw my post about it .... although I doubt TW did).
Damn. Its even worse than I thought. This game's never gonna be finished.

Or maybe 10% is actually the desired death rate and its not gonna change at all.

----------------------

As an aside, this kind of goes with an impression I've gotten from reading various dev comments here and there, that they really seem to rely an awful lot on running simulations and collecting loads of data for all their balancing decisions. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. Its great to have solid data to back up your decisions, but it is possible to overdo it and rely too much on data in place of human judgement. I've seen a ton of forum threads where players are complaining about some aspect of the game feeling off, and the dev response is something to the effect of "We've run hundreds of simulations that show this is balanced just right." But simulations and data can only tell you so much. A lot of times you just have to go by feel. At the end of the day, all that really matters is "Does this play well?", "Do these game systems feel good?, "Is this fun?"

I was reminded of this by a recent Jason Schrier article in Bloomberg about Amazon Game Studios and how they've struggled to put out any decent games despite having some of the best game devs in the industry and all the money in the world. One big problem is Amazon's data-driven culture.

That's why modders are able to run circles around TW devs and develop major new features in a fraction of the time that TW can do it. They don't need to run weeks of tests for every new idea they have. They just figure out something that they think would make the game better and they put it out there. If it turns out to be unbalanced, they adjust it until it feels right and its done. I think TW could use a little bit more of that approach
Exactly, data is good and invaluable for some things but in artistic industries like gamemaking it should never replace feelings, feedback and the most important of all fun, games need soul and passion to be successful and that's why modding is such a hit in basically every game that allows it.

Things like this point to an extremely unorganized company and it's quite telling why development has been so slow. This is a problem when a company gets too big with no effective management, in other words TW is flying by the seat of their pants. This kind of stuff really makes me nervous for future development.

Why don't they keep it 10% for testers and let us enjoy the new content that came with the new updates? Let me use it on 1-2% and have the goodies from the new updates pls.

Things like this point to an extremely unorganized company and it's quite telling why development has been so slow. This is a problem when a company gets too big with no effective management, in other words TW is flying by the seat of their pants. This kind of stuff really makes me nervous for future development.
+1

I dislike the death rate, vehemently. I'm wondering if there is a way for me to edit my game files to reduce death rate the way i like, couldn't find a mod that does the job. Don't feel like braking the game files so if there's anyone experienced at modding the bannerlord, perhaps we can solve the issue instead of TW fixing it.
Tnx in advance!

A peak (so total will be higher) of 17,000 players on Steam today. That's a lot of testers.
What testing value could they possibly be getting out of forcing this on everybody? Its not like they're getting any useful feedback from the majority of players who never come to the forums or interact with TW in any way besides just playing the game. If they really wanted test results, they could run it on the Telemetry branch where they could collect actual game data telling them exactly how many nobles are dying and what the knock-on effects might be. Pushing it to the main game branches does nothing except piss off the players.

Back
Top Bottom