Edited - can we have a Captain Mode sub forum (and a Skirmish one if Skirmish players want one)

Users who are viewing this thread

Scarsack V [Kov]

What applies to skirmish, does not apply to captain mode.

For example, recent suggestions/pushes/complaints are along the lines of:

Nerf cav
Nerf archers
Buff shock/2 handers

There are (from what I can see) developers agreeing to this.

In skirmish, yeah sure, fine that's the meta so do it.

But in captain, the meta IS shock/2 hander.

So if TW buff 2 hander, nerf cav and archers... captain mode will be negatively impacted.

Split the forum, so it's obvious people are talking about one of the game modes.

Last edited:
Unless Taleworlds splits the coding so that each mode is in their own bubble, it's really stupid to split the forum suggestion segments into two parts, with each part just working at cross purposes. As long as the adjustments to MP effect all MP game modes the sections really should be in the overarching umbrella of Multiplayer. If Taleworlds does/is making captain mode have stats and combat different then the rest (Skirmish, Siege, TDM) then it makes sense, otherwise... nah.

If shielders actually used their shields in melee combat they would be meta in Captain mode. And cav would be OP as well if they knew how to attack. But they can still run through lines of infantry with little punishment.

I believe that there shouldn't be multiple forums for the different game modes in multiplayer. However, I believe there should be visible tags prior to clicking on the sub forum showing what each post is geared towards.

Last edited:
Captain mode doesn’t matter anyway! Change my mind

In any case, either people need to state what mode they’re talking about or there should be separate fourms. There doesn’t even have to be one for every mode, just give captain it’s own because that’s the only one with the captain feature currently.

Last edited:
As a captain mode veteran, I am a sought after player and my opinion matters. I believe skirmish mode to be inferior and barbaric. Captain mode is how this game was meant to be played. I feel sorry for people who are not capable of enjoying the tactical and strategic complexity of fighting bots.

Also:
Bannerlord bad. Warband good. We need battle mode ASAP or the multiplayer community will die.

Last edited:
If they split the balancing they should split the forums. Also the nerfs for cav and archer than are being discussed would not affect captain mode. They are adjustments to the skill ceiling rather than to the baseline effectiveness. Horses rearing when they slam into walls wont affect captain mode unless the captain is terrible.

If they decided to split the different game modes into being independently balanced with separate classes, unit stats, and gear setups. It would be a lot better in terms of tailoring specific balancing changes to each game mode and would not rely on compromise to one mode in favor of another.

However this may or may not be practical from a coding standpoint, I have no idea but I would imagine it's just something they would rather not have to deal with. I still pray they someday maybe decide to split the modes, but we'll just have to be patient and see how they decide to do things.

If shielders actually used their shields in melee combat they would be meta in Captain mode. And cav would be OP as well if they knew how to attack. But they can still run through lines of infantry with little punishment.

This is very very true. The fact that bots can't defend themselves ruins quality of Captain mode severely in general. The mode is somewhat fun but due to everything dying so fast the viable tactics boil down to brief positioning before throwing everything into a meatgrinder. As soon as someone tries to be "smart" and do some flanking or tries to ambush or whatever then that person will most likely miss the 10 second slaugther causing their team loose a 5v6.

I believe that there shouldn't be multiple forums for the different game modes in multiplayer. However, I believe there should be visible tags prior to clicking on the sub forum showing what each post is geared towards.

I like this idea. Just a tag or something on a post with the mode you are talking about.

I'm not so sure splitting the multiplayer community in this way would be such a good idea. It is highly unlikely that we will have different in-game character/class/gear selection systems for different game modes so the feedback regarding this should be relevant to the entirety of MP. (I do understand that what might be powerful in a 1-vs-1 might be weak in bigger battles with bots, and vice versa.)

What we could do though is look at adding prefixes (like we already use over in the modding section of the forum) for some common posting topics. However, we do already have something similar that people can use right now (see below):

I like this idea. Just a tag or something on a post with the mode you are talking about.

There already is a tag feature but posters need to add tags themselves when creating a thread. You can then search for posts marked with those tags.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure splitting the multiplayer community in this way would be such a good idea. It is highly unlikely that we will have different in-game character/class/gear selection systems for different game modes so the feedback regarding this should be relevant to the entirety of MP. (I do understand that what might be powerful in a 1-vs-1 might be weak in bigger battles with bots, and vice versa.)

What we could do though is look at adding prefixes (like we already use over in the modding section of the forum) for some common posting topics. However, we do already have something similar that people can use right now (see below):

There already is a tag feature but posters need to add tags themselves when creating a thread. You can then search for posts marked with those tags.

Interesting! Thanks for replying. I've added a tag.

Bump.

All the latest Captain threads are full of skirmish players, all the latest skirmish threads are full of Captain players, needlessly infighting.

Give us a Captain mode sub forum. Please?

Agreed. The two modes cant get along
Exactly. It would be much easier for us to be seperated in the forum, then I can just not bother going in the Skirmish one and Skirmish players can skip over the Captain one. Instead at the moment we have to read through to know what mode the OP is even referencing, unless we are lucky enough for it to be in the title.

At the moment I don't read the SP forum because it's still broken and I'm waiting til they fix it completely before investing time in a fresh campaign. Would be nice to do that for MP modes I don't have much interest in too.

We should definitely have a captain mode subforum to discuss balance changes, class layouts, etc. So we can have a conversation that is separated from the Skirmish balance discussion as these two modes are completely different. The suggestions from captains players will definitely be different suggestions than those that come from skirmish players, leading to tension and arguments when we are forced to share the same forum. Please consider giving us a captain mode subforum.

'A sure formula for failure is to try and please everyone'

I believe that as long as you will continue to balance the game the way you do, applaing changes to both modes you will never please the community of any of the modes enough to acctualy be pleased. Let's be honest, you even said that in your post. You know that modes are different enough that any change may impact the balance in dramatically different ways.

"(I do understand that what might be powerful in a 1-vs-1 might be weak in bigger battles with bots, and vice versa.)"

my question is why the Dev team is so reluctant to actually put that specific piece of knowledge into practice?

So long as the character/class/gear selection systems remain global across all game modes, it doesn't make sense to split the discussion. Considerations for one game mode will affect the other, so people can't shy away from it, no matter how much they don't like to hear opinions from others who favour a different mode, or no matter how much they're not interested in playing the other modes. If anything, people should get into the habit of realising the systems are global, and speak specifically about what mode they're talking about.

I watched the Grand Final of the Captains tournament on Twitch, and it seemed like the commentators were clueless as to what Skirmish players actually want (generally). I'm pretty sure they blamed Skirmish for crushthrough for whatever reason (despite that everyone in MP said they hated the idea of it), and one of the developers has now flat-out said it was mostly meant for SP and Captains (ironically): "It was not intendend to be a gamechanger, but rather make shock troops better in sp and captain, while also giving them some tech use in skirmish and tdm."

Any troll comments should be reported and deleted, but don't treat valid feedback as troll behaviour. Just speak honestly about how you feel towards the game and try to be informed.

Back
Top Bottom