Edit: Way to prevent spam messages

Users who are viewing this thread

You can indeed
It was more of a cannot because it'd be ethically wrong (to ban someone without clear guidelines, or for just proclaiming something that's widely acceptable to proclaim on other similar platforms, etc, etc), rather than cannot as in physically doing it. But yeah, TW might be a part of gamergate. Wouldn't be a surprise due to the amount of female companions found in game, or all the strong independent women and the super-difficult charm system.

Last edited:
Do you agree that when someone does harm to others (a chatbox full of spam messages makes people's mood worse and prevents them from comunicating with each other)

This kind of behavior doesn't harm others, or make people's mood worse. Normal people see this and don't care.

What if there are a dozen of players sending spam message? What if all of them are bots active every hour and bothering thousands of players? Though it's not the case here, the same rule should be applied.
Or, another solution is a blacklist that everyone can share and automatically mute players in the list.

This isn't league of legends. The game costs money, so there's a considerable barrier to buying many accounts to do this. It has also never even happened. This is a bad faith argument. You know you're wrong.

As I'm a Chinese, I'm sure he is not a Chinese because in my computer his nickname cannot be correctly displayed. I don't know what his nickname is so I cannot simply report him by sending his name to Callum.
Please ban him.
The reason the name won't show up correctly is because he's using unicode symbols which are not recognised by the game locale. I've had it occur when I've used emojis in my Steam name. It doesn't matter anyway, whether the player is Chinese or not all should abide by the same rules and be allowed the same rights. If you can't accept that, then you are bias and you shouldn't demand a ban as the level of punishment is not your decision.
Do you agree that when someone does harm to others...he should not be punished or forbidden to do that to more people?
Depends on the harm. I wouldn't go all medieval and demand to have his hand cut off because he used it to spam.
I'd rather advocate for solutions such as limit the number of messages per minute, a chat filter detecting toxic or repetitive messages, etc.
If someone would endorse censorship, however, I'd find it to be karma to have the same happen upon them, but unless the chat has been used to promote racism, violence and other totalitarian ideas I wouldn't wish a lengthy ban on them. Max 2 weeks for such content unless repetitively, and a public server mute for spam lasting a couple of days.
What if there are a dozen of players sending spam message? What if all of them are bots active every hour and bothering thousands of players?
That's a different scenario, assuming the bots are just in-game to advertise something such as links to malware, it'll not be frown upon if they were banned as they're not actual players. You greatly exaggerated your argument with ''thousands'' of players, but the maximum of players are about 150 and servers appear to not be filled to the brink anymore, thus you can, unlike argued, actually find culprits rather easily and mute them.
Or, it's a good idea to make a blacklist that everyone can share and automatically mute players in the list: only prevent him from sending spam messages rather than playing the game. Everyone in the list will be removed from it after a period of time. Or, add an option to disable one's chatbox completely because one may not want to waste his time looking for a sequence of squares from a list of sequences of squares. We come here to play the game, not to count the number of squares.
If there would be a blacklist that anyone could contribute to, it'll also lead to abuse. There's a solution of chatbox settings already if you look in my signature. I've collected and written a bunch of various non-intrusive solutions in that thread. Private servers will solve a lot of these issues for example, as Chinese players will be able to enforce whatever rules they want, and players from the rest of the world which are annoyed with being censored and getting 10 year long global bans can feel safe knowing private servers won't have easily butthurt admins and experienced admins from prior servers in the M&B-series.

Back
Top Bottom