SP - Economy economy eats up our time and our pleasure in playing

Users who are viewing this thread

Nawari

Veteran
Hello,
I start by saying that I play at the "realistic" level. At this level, the economic system eats up a lot of our time. I know the principle which says that a good game is linked to its lifespan. But a good game is also fun or we are masochistic and we like to suffer. For my part, I like to take pleasure in playing. Now, to have the gold for the armor, to equip our characters, to protect our possessions, to have even a group formed and fun to play, it is really very long, heavy, and painful. To get out of it faster, I often start my games at low level to have less trouble and I continue in realistic mode when I am prosperous. Too bad. In my opinion, for the realistic level, it would take an economic compensation in order to waste less time in painful stuff. In short, it is my look at these beginnings of the game which last for tens of hours and are slow to climb in terms of the possibility of play. We start to have fun only when we reach level 3 or even 4. In short, when you get to the end of the main quest. So I don't know why the fun has to take so long to start, an idea of "after the effort, the reward"? It's a game, and I don't care if I am rewarded, I just wish it was fun from start to finish. And playing a whole game at "low" level, it's just the opposite, it becomes too easy and you get bored quickly. So there is in my opinion a problem of economic balance in order to make the game simply more "fun" except to like to suffer for nothing. It's all about time, I prefer to restart a new game than to stay 400 hours on the same one.
And you, what do you think?

You are absolutely right, this has been a problem in mount and blade since the start of the series where higher difficulties just mean you do more of the same rather than making it more challenging, and Bannerlord has just amplified this. I see no problem with people cheating at this point because of how much tedium you have to sit through to get to the actually engaging mechanics.

You are absolutely right, this has been a problem in mount and blade since the start of the series where higher difficulties just mean you do more of the same rather than making it more challenging, and Bannerlord has just amplified this. I see no problem with people cheating at this point because of how much tedium you have to sit through to get to the actually engaging mechanics.
I wouldn't say "cheat" because there is no cheating to play at a lower level when you start the game, it is not cheating since the game allows it, it's just "smart ".
The other solution would be: the more we would play at a difficult level, the less expensive the items would be so that the "difficulty" was quickly accessible and in order to be able to take advantage of all the dimensions of the game more quickly. Perhaps it would also be necessary to give advantages additional to companions (making them stronger) and, in short, making it so that "difficult" does not mean painful.

To tell the truth, I think that there should be that there should not be three levels (very easy, easy, etc.) but only one well balanced, well thought out, that would undoubtedly facilitate the adjustments, and would allow for developers not to waste unnecessary time. This game, I think, is made to have only one level of difficulty, but well thought out, not "easy", not "super difficult", but fun to play. These different levels have always left me skeptical ...

and in this sense I would add: prosperity "fast" enough to achieve, the difficulty in combat kept at a realistic level. There are many other games where the "fighting" is much more difficult than in mount and blade. Simply it is necessary that the game is less "thankless" and more that one progresses more quickly towards prosperity.

Personally I really like the struggle in the early game, as someone trying to make it in the world, but I think an easy solution would be to have an economy difficulty setting. I haven't looked at the games coding, but it probably wouldn't be that hard to add a modifier that halves the cost of goods bought, cost of troops, etc.

Also they should add a quick start option where you start as one of the nobles already on the map, for those who would prefer to avoid the early game.

The game has not managed to build away the tedious aspects of M&B Warband, even if they have tried. Caravan drivers and more parties could have fixed alot of this if you were able to control them somewhat. My parties are joining armies and is ultimatly disolved, my caravans face the same fate. Quests doesn't need me to return to questgiver any more. For me, I feel devided about what it has given me.

Also they should add a quick start option where you start as one of the nobles already on the map, for those who would prefer to avoid the early game.

Yes, option to start as landed vassal with a random castle of your culture(or select a faction). All options in charachter creation could give more reward, and your start level set appropiratly..

Hello,
I start by saying that I play at the "realistic" level. At this level, the economic system eats up a lot of our time. I know the principle which says that a good game is linked to its lifespan. But a good game is also fun or we are masochistic and we like to suffer. For my part, I like to take pleasure in playing. Now, to have the gold for the armor, to equip our characters, to protect our possessions, to have even a group formed and fun to play, it is really very long, heavy, and painful. To get out of it faster, I often start my games at low level to have less trouble and I continue in realistic mode when I am prosperous. Too bad. In my opinion, for the realistic level, it would take an economic compensation in order to waste less time in painful stuff. In short, it is my look at these beginnings of the game which last for tens of hours and are slow to climb in terms of the possibility of play. We start to have fun only when we reach level 3 or even 4. In short, when you get to the end of the main quest. So I don't know why the fun has to take so long to start, an idea of "after the effort, the reward"? It's a game, and I don't care if I am rewarded, I just wish it was fun from start to finish. And playing a whole game at "low" level, it's just the opposite, it becomes too easy and you get bored quickly. So there is in my opinion a problem of economic balance in order to make the game simply more "fun" except to like to suffer for nothing. It's all about time, I prefer to restart a new game than to stay 400 hours on the same one.
And you, what do you think?

I also always play at max difficulty, i personnaly enjoy the early game struggle. but once i manage to get my first 15k i'm always frutrated by the low payback of workshops. also, when earning my fisrt fief, the taxes are so low that i can't defend it with a proper garrison and have a strong party at once. that sounds realistic though but then the fief is quite pointless since it doesn't give money and anyway there's nothing to do exept keep some troops in reserve and stash prisoners but well ... i want to make parties in my keep :grin:

i mean it should be ok that low loyalty and the many issues when you get a newly captured fort should eat some time and effort, but in the end, when everyone is happy it should allow you to afford a decent party for your self and clan members and a decent garrison.

there could be a mechanics that lowers loyalty and security depending on the taxe rate, prosperity and garisson power.making that loyalty whould drop, together with your earnings if the fief is not well secured, if they have a reason to feel their taxes are too much for the war effort on too less for their security. their should be a clear balance.

Back
Top Bottom