Easy solution to fix archers without nerfing them or buffing armor

Users who are viewing this thread

I
Yea it needs tweaking but it's otherwise functional. I don't see a need to adjust it too drastically. If you don't like the damage ratio you can always play on an easier setting?

Anyhow, from my experience, I don't receive too much damage so I don't see the issue. Maybe you should try leading from behind.
Its not about player damage, it's the ai soldiers who die too quickly thanks to armor underperfoming

Like vonbalt says, it's too easy to kill ennemy soldiers... mediocre weapons allow players to kill elite units about as easily as a peasant...

I appreciate the artwork but you know the lines aren't so clearly delineated. What you're suggesting is that the archers are actually snipers armed with laser guided arrows.
It kinda is though, AI bots don't "SEE" anything, they are informed by the game where units are (in a certain range?)and when/if they fire at them! So the concept f "not sure if I can get the shot" doesn't effect them, they can make the shot, or they are told by game not too, even with no FF currently they do this.
One related criticism I have of archers is that IMO, compared to the player experience, low tier archers aim and fire too fast and are capable of landing shots at long distances where to the player(With very high skill, perks and best bow) the enemy (them) is just a little spec and it takes a lot of effort to land a shot.
Plus, despite multiple speed bonuses, the difference in getting off a shot faster is indiscernible.... sure it may BE faster, but if you still take a shot back before you're hits them..... doesn't matter at all.

I

Its not about player damage, it's the ai soldiers who die too quickly thanks to armor underperfoming
Ah I get you. Yea...battles end too quickly.

But it's not just an armor issue. AI have no sense of self preservation. A lone unit will engage against 10 until his morale breaks.

It kinda is though, AI bots don't "SEE" anything, they are informed by the game where units are (in a certain range?)and when/if they fire at them! So the concept f "not sure if I can get the shot" doesn't effect them, they can make the shot, or they are told by game not too, even with no FF currently they do this.
One related criticism I have of archers is that IMO, compared to the player experience, low tier archers aim and fire too fast and are capable of landing shots at long distances where to the player(With very high skill, perks and best bow) the enemy (them) is just a little spec and it takes a lot of effort to land a shot.
Plus, despite multiple speed bonuses, the difference in getting off a shot faster is indiscernible.... sure it may BE faster, but if you still take a shot back before you're hits them..... doesn't matter at all.

Naturally, they don't "see", but even for AI there's a certain randomness to whether the arrow hits the target or not.

It kinda is though, AI bots don't "SEE" anything, they are informed by the game where units are (in a certain range?)and when/if they fire at them!

"Ai seeing" in games is done by way of shooting raycasts and id assume that for archers at least they are programmed to shoot raycasts to establish if they have line of sight or not

Ah I get you. Yea...battles end too quickly.

But it's not just an armor issue. AI have no sense of self preservation. A lone unit will engage against 10 until his morale breaks.
Agreed, it's a complex problem where armor is just one variable but one that i find far easier and more realistic to improve than the AI.

Realistic battle mod did a wonderful job with armors and survivality of troops where they block more and try less to be kamikazes but the modder can't access the deepest parts of the AI to fix what's really wrong with it and i would love the vanilla game to be the best it can be without relying on mods for each and every problem unlike the TES games for example where the devs even leave thousands of bugs because they know mods will fix them anyway lol

I think that battles should be formation based

1) It looks cool, no moshpits
2) It is better to control
3) It lasts longer

Back
Top Bottom