Easy Money Sink Idea

Users who are viewing this thread

Set ransoms for companions, clan members, vassals, and yourself as a proportion of your total net worth. Early on, given you don't have much, this will just be a nuisance, similar to how it already is, but as time goes on, and you amass more wealth, you set the ransoms much, much higher. Given ransoms during the High Middle Ages were generally high, especially for notable figures, this would be an easy sink to dump money into.

The flipside of this, is that it should be significantly harder to escape captivity, especially when put in a dungeon. This would also make a Warbandesque mission to rescue a captured figure more fun when implemented. To make this less obnoxious for a captured player, just have the prompt to pay them occur every day, but have a cap of the amount it decreases to, for example: let's say your ransom is 5,000 denars, waiting 10 days may drop it to $3,500, but it would go no lower than that. This amount is again a proportion of your net worth, so the player should always be able to pay the ransom, though it should be considered a bit of a hit.

Thoughts?

pretty good idea but i'd want it also applied to the AI.
one lord i tried to barter with had millions. would this break the game?

It should also be applied to AI. The biggest issue I see with this, is that the AI needs to be fine tuned to act less dumb before this is implemented. We shouldn't have 0 stack Lords running around going bankrupt with ransoms because they are behaving dumb and getting captured by looters and bandits.

But I think this, combined with war goals, e.g. obtaining enough war spoils, dollar wise, or certain territories, could work well.

Back
Top Bottom