Earth Hour

Users who are viewing this thread

Cymro

Grandmaster Knight
Google has decided to “turn off the lights” on the UK homepages (a.k.a. making the page render in a horrible black colour :mad:) today, as some sort of way of getting people interested in an event by the name of Earth Hour. What they want us all to do is turn off our lights from 8PM to 9PM (in local timezones), so we can stop global warming, mend the hole in the ozone layer, re-freeze the arctic and stop worldwide drought. Or something.

What do you think? Are Google just jumping on the energy saving bandwagon, as a publicity stunt? Will you be turning off all your electricity appliances?

No can do, I'll be at work and I don't think any late shoppers will appreciate us turning off the lights.

Neither will the workers, it's hard to work in the dark.

I saw that (they do it in the US, too), and I think it's interesting. I rarely use my lights anyway, though. I like it dark. *hiss*

And I don't think it's a stunt. It fits Google's personality well enough.

Redcoat - Mic said:
So all we have to do is turn off our lights? I can handle that. Be damned if I'm coming off good ol' "Christ Puncher" for an hour though.  :sad:
And your computer, too :razz:

Turn of the lights during the night? Instead of the day?

slowpoke.jpeg

Archonsod said:
The hell with that. I'm all for increasing global warming until spring gets it's lazy arse in gear.

It SNOWED here two nights ago, and it almost never snows here this late in march!

Actually this has been one of the best ski seasons for the local mountain in years (although the last year or two were pretty good too).

Sir Prince said:
Skorpion said:
What the ****? The lights are hardly using any power, compared to the computer and the TV. Screw that ****.

Then just turn them all off and play a board game by candlelight.

Hells no. I woulda missed the monster truck world finals.

Archonsod said:
The hell with that. I'm all for increasing global warming until spring gets it's lazy arse in gear.

I agree.

I wouldn't bother, from what i've heard, it doesn't actually make a difference to the amount of power generated.
The amount used might change, but they can't just shut down steam generators on demand, for a single hour, then have them come back online in an instant.

It's incredibly retarded, it probably makes zilch difference to the power baseline. What a load of balls, if people really want to combat global warming get rid of the sodding suv or start washing in sand.

Back
Top Bottom