Early Rusĭ Names

Users who are viewing this thread

ŭ and  ъ at the end , ignore them when saying the word.

+ ancient rus names

Eng    Cyr.
Zluk    Злюк  - means evil man.

Also :

Svyatopŭlkŭ Svjatopъlkъ Свѧтопълкъ - means sacred host(about army).
Bandyukŭ Bandjukъ Бандюкъ  -  bandit.

Don't take these names :]
Rache Rače Раче
Rachĭ Račь Рачь
Rachĭnŭ Račьnъ Рачьнъ

Partizan_Rusi said:
ŭ and  ъ , ignore them when saying the word.
Actually, the consensus seems to be that both yers (ъ and ь) were still pronounced as distinct ultra-short vowels during the period Víkingr deals with; they wouldn't be dropped until some time later. To get an approximate idea of what they sounded like, you may compare them to Japanese devoiced u.

For our time period, the back yer ъ (ŭ) was probably closer to [ɵ] than to Japanese [ɯ]. The front yer ь (ĭ) was probably [ɪ] as in English bit but shorter.

I should write up a section on pronunciation I guess.

hrotha said:
Partizan_Rusi said:
ŭ and  ъ , ignore them when saying the word.
Actually, the consensus seems to be that both yers (ъ and ь) were still pronounced as distinct ultra-short vowels during the period Víkingr deals with; they wouldn't be dropped until some time later. To get an approximate idea of what they sounded like, you may compare them to Japanese devoiced u.

For our time period, the back yer ъ (ŭ) was probably closer to [ɵ] than to Japanese [ɯ]. The front yer ь (ĭ) was probably [ɪ] as in English bit but shorter.

I should write up a section on pronunciation I guess.
I forgot to add that - "ŭ and  ъ at the end , ignore them when saying the word."
So Svyatopŭlkŭ  -  Свѧтопълкъ will sound as Svyatopolk like in current russian, and ѧ is я = ya.
Letter ѣ or ъ in the middle of the word is wierd grammar rules of ancient russian, it can be O or A or E.
Like :
Běla Бѣла    - white(female name)
Bělina Бѣлина

Bezĭdrugŭ Bezьdrugъ Безьдругъ - says Bezdrug, means "without friends"  (drug = friend you know :] )

Bozheta Božeta Божeта and  Bozh-Божь  - variants of "godly"
Bozhĭkŭ Божькъ - "lesser god".

Svyatoslavŭ Svjatoslavъ Свѧтославъ - say Svyatoslav.
Not all names are oudated, one of my uncles is Svyatoslav(means "to glorify holiness") and this name frequently goes as short "Slava" , which means glory you know. Female version - Svyatoslava .

Many meanings we have now came from verbal tradition after christianization. Runic language and culture that was before cyrrilic alphabet mostly lost to time and earth.

No, I mean they were still pronounced even in final position, and the strong yers hadn't developed into о and е yet. In a word like пълкъ, the final ъ was weak, and therefore the preceding ъ was strong and developed into о. Historically:

пълкъ > полкъ > полк
стрѣльць > стрѣлець > стрелец

But for our time frame we're still at the first stage of that development, with later forms popping up in our sources, like the Primary Chronicle, because they were written after our period.

Well, to pronounce ancient russian(before 13th c. Old russian version is used in church even now) totally right you need to take special philology course in one of our universities or read few russian books about ancient russian. If you don't want to bother with such nuances then use later version.
Also big chunk of old word construction left in russian used by our church.

Thread updated. I made some minor changes to better explain the patronymics and added a note on the transliteration of е, where I don't necessarily follow the BGN/PCGN system.

Back
Top Bottom