Early game walkthrough

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello, my name is Satrio. Im new to Mount & Blade games, i play this game since 2 months ago and this game make me addicted

My problem when playing M&B is at the early game, i dont know how to get some source of income to buy a better equipment or pay my troops. and because of that i always ended became a prisoner of bandit
So, any suggestion for the early game?

Combination of doing tournaments and finding good towns to buy cheap goods (like iron) and selling them somewhere else for a higher price.

Becoming a mercenary would be the second step as you would get paid for your men.

As soon as you start getting some coin try building enterprises in all the towns (always chose the most profitable).

Quests for lords are also a good idea, like collecting taxes from their fiefs etc. You always get a portion.

manekemaan said:
Combination of doing tournaments and finding good towns to buy cheap goods (like iron) and selling them somewhere else for a higher price.

Becoming a mercenary would be the second step as you would get paid for your men.

As soon as you start getting some coin try building enterprises in all the towns (always chose the most profitable).

Quests for lords are also a good idea, like collecting taxes from their fiefs etc. You always get a portion.

How to become a mercenary?

All that manekeeman said is good.

What you can do is also take all the items that you get as loot from bandits and other idiots and sell them.

Concerning the mercenary part you can gain some renown from tournaments (20 renown is the standard) then you can go talk to lords of a faction you like and some may offer you to become a mercenary, you only get an income out of it, no fiefs as you're not a vassal yet. In the early game you should allow yourself a maximum of 30 men, I would recommend cavarly only, they are barely more expensive but once they get to a high tier (such as swadian knights) they are the ****.
Also having a small cavarly party helps a lot with map speed not to get caught by foes you wouldn't want to face !

TractoJohn said:
All that manekeeman said is good.

What you can do is also take all the items that you get as loot from bandits and other idiots and sell them.

Concerning the mercenary part you can gain some renown from tournaments (20 renown is the standard) then you can go talk to lords of a faction you like and some may offer you to become a mercenary, you only get an income out of it, no fiefs as you're not a vassal yet. In the early game you should allow yourself a maximum of 30 men, I would recommend cavarly only, they are barely more expensive but once they get to a high tier (such as swadian knights) they are the ****.
Also having a small cavarly party helps a lot with map speed not to get caught by foes you wouldn't want to face !

an cavalry only party? never think of that, maybe i sould start at khergit khanate and use their horse archer to raid caravan

no no no wrong move man, I didn't explain well enough !!

Do not raid caravans you'll get yourself in a very bad position with the faction and lords will destroy you !!

And for the cavarly do not take khergits. Take swadian recruits and build them up to knights/men at arms.

You can also use sarranid and vaegir recruits (Mamlukes, Vaegir knights and horsemen)

In M&B the AI doesn't manage khergits well at all.

Do not loot villages too even though you get a very nice amount of money of loot to sell: you well get a terrible relation with the village and the lord owning the fief, and the faction. It will later on be difficult to repair and you will not be able to recruit from said village anymore.

TractoJohn said:

Do not raid caravans you'll get yourself in a very bad position with the faction and lords will destroy you !!

And for the cavarly do not take khergits. Take swadian recruits and build them up to knights/men at arms.

You can also use sarranid and vaegir recruits (Mamlukes, Vaegir knights and horsemen)

Do not loot villages too even though you get a very nice amount of money of loot to sell: you well get a terrible relation with the village and the lord owning the fief, and the faction. It will later on be difficult to repair and you will not be able to recruit from said village anymore.

So, the path of bandit is just for the tough one huh?
yeah, i think men at arms or sarranids horsemen are enough to kill some bandits since they are poorly armed

I think the bandit path is for the VERY experienced it is very difficult if you get a bounty on your head, and once you start a faction everyone declares war on you, this is like mount and blade extreme. You have no peace, you bleed soldiers and money at a rate that is almost impossible to keep.
So I would say build your honor and renown. Play efficient not big :wink:

Satrio said:
an cavalry only party? never think of that, maybe i sould start at khergit khanate and use their horse archer to raid caravan
Just make sure to join a faction as a mercenary before you start raiding caravans, and only target those that you are at war with and you won't get into any special trouble.

The trick for the early game is to keep your party small, and spend as little as possible on equipment. 
The only thing I buy are weapons, and I make sure it's a weapon that I will be using most of the game so I only have to spend once.  Armor you should not buy until you can afford the very expensive stuff that you will keep for the rest of the game.  Equip yourself from loot, you can get good stuff from the Sea Raiders.  When you're a mercenary you can join fights against other lords, with a bit of luck you can get some high tier gear.

I used to do the following :
- start in rhodok territory
- kill looters and raise crossbowmen
- get 18/20 troops (heroes and rhodok crossbowman) and kill mountain bandits and get their equipement.
- hire infantry mercenaries and go look for the sea raiders, take their equipment, and loot
- once you have a nice level buy yourself a blunt weapon and make prisoners
- build factories with prisoners money
- then once you have got enough income per week from factories just go for the best and funniest fights.

TractoJohn said:

I'd agree not to become a bandit and loot caravans, but I'd disagree that Khergit troops aren't useful.  Yes, the AI doesn't manage them well, but if you the player are controlling them, the AI won't be an issue.  Don't go for Horse Archers but for Lancers: they are cheaper and easier to train than Swadian Men At Arms or Knights, and highly effective in the field.  15 of them should be perfect for your own custom caravan guard as you trade around Calradia.  They can't withstand heavy cavalry like Knights or Mameluks, but you won't be encountering too many of those in the early game, and Lancers will generally mow down everybody else with no problems.  You can always switch them out for other troops later on.

In my current game, I've done a modified version of this:

arsenic_vengeur said:
I used to do the following :
- start in rhodok territory
- kill looters and raise crossbowmen
- get 18/20 troops (heroes and rhodok crossbowman) and kill mountain bandits and get their equipement.
- hire infantry mercenaries and go look for the sea raiders, take their equipment, and loot
- once you have a nice level buy yourself a blunt weapon and make prisoners
- build factories with prisoners money
- then once you have got enough income per week from factories just go for the best and funniest fights.

It's worked well.

JosieJ said:
Don't go for Horse Archers but for Lancers: they are cheaper and easier to train than Swadian Men At Arms or Knights, and highly effective in the field.

And also some lancers will be equipped with bows, so you still get horse archers if that is important for your plans.

Persnychite said:
JosieJ said:
Don't go for Horse Archers but for Lancers: they are cheaper and easier to train than Swadian Men At Arms or Knights, and highly effective in the field.

And also some lancers will be equipped with bows, so you still get horse archers if that is important for your plans.
not in native - they have some points in powerdraw but they not use bows

Tocan said:
Persnychite said:
JosieJ said:

not in native - they have some points in powerdraw but they not use bows

I've never seen Lancers equipped with bows in Diplomacy, either.  That mod doesn't change much, combat-wise, from Native, anyway, so I guess it's not a surprise.  Even Captain_Octavius's Polished Native Troops mod, which I also use, doesn't give Lancers ranged weapons.

JosieJ, Tocan -- thanks for setting me straight on this.  I don't think that I had played Khergits since one of my first games and must've mistaken the troop type and never realized it since!

And just to check, I fired-up M&B Native and started a new game "as a steppe child" and leading to an army with over two-dozen lancers and you are totally correct. 

One thing more that I learned by doing this is that more than half of these guys also have blunt weapons available so are great at taking slaves, especially in the early game -- where most sea raider, tundra and taiga bandit parties are small enough that these few armored horsemen can beat them down with impunity.  Within the first 30 days of game-time I was repeatedly harvesting 10-15K denars a week when a slave trader was close to target-rich areas and with zero of my people killed.

edit: I figured out where I got that notion about lancers with bows -- all the way back in the original Mount & Blade. The change took place with the advent of Warband...

What I do to get lots of money, is i get a good amount of men. I raid villages. They give me lots of stuff. Then I sell it. I save up for productive enterprises in towns. Velvet silk and dye is the best one i think.

Don't bother raiding caravans. They don't give you much loot. villages can give you up to 3000 dollars worth of loot.

Also, the kergit troops are bad. You could use a few of them in your party, but it depends what type of player you are.

I saw khergit lancers being mentioned as mounted archers, I also saw that but it was in an older version of M&B (which I think would explain their powerdraw points) however this feature was removed by TaleWorlds, because back then almost ALL khergits had bows on top of their melee weapons.

Back
Top Bottom