Early Access Multiplayer Feedback

Users who are viewing this thread

Having played the single player it's really highlighted some of the big problems in the multiplayer part of the game. Armour is just totally busted vs 1 handed weapons. You get stuck in a tournament vs a hero unit with decent armour and all you have is a 1 handed wet noodle doing 2 damage per swing. How does this translate to MP? Well instead of in Warband where not only is armour considerably less effective but where you can only unlock it after several successful rounds, players can now spawn in high tier armour in the first round (and often multiple times a round). Having to hit people 50 times with a 1h weapon is not fun at all, especially considering how much more awkward it's been made having to hit the sweet spots.

Axes are total dross. They seem to barely effect shields, even when using a 2h axe it takes an insane length of time to break them. The shields are incredibly tough which doesn't really make up for the fact that they cover half of your body and archers can just foot shot you with impunity.

The class system is poor. We've said it in alpha, we said it in beta and it seems a common theme in early access. It's fixed absolutely nothing it set out to fix. We've got perks instead of an equipment system. What do the perks do? Add different equipment, except there's no real meaningful tradeoff as it's pretty much a binary choice if you want a spear and a shield (If you're playing vs anyone good then you cannot play without these). Skirmish is a fundamentally flawed and uncompetitive game mode which builds no excitement and often ends in utterly drab fashion mid-fight. Add on top of that the fact that Archers and Cavalry can now spawn first round with massive suits of armour and polearms and the solution to snowballing you've created is just making the annoying stuff happen from round 1. Snowballing was never as big a deal as was made out, you only need to look at the apex of Warband multiplayer to see that isn't the case. The final of Warband Native League took place on the weekend and a fully armoured up Swadia deathball got merked by round 1 equipment vaegirs. This has failed to fix a non-existent problem and more than that has made it 10x worse.

Siege is fun enough for what it is. It does a good job of masking many of the combat's problems because of its chaotic nature.

I've got no idea why the game was released before we had the ability to test the combat properly in a duel mode. The movement is somewhat improved but the blocking is still "stance based" and therefor unresponsive at times and the ability to clutch block vs multiple opponents has been removed. This is another element of skillbased fighting removed from the franchise.

There's been a couple of moves in the right direction but we're in dire need of custom servers for proper testing.

absolutely agree, really bad that these issues were highlighted at the start of the alpha/beta and were echoed by all of the new people coming into it for months, but they didn’t make changes. now it’s being echoed again by new people at EA. really hope TW take this advice and make the necessary changes.

Im currently rank 10 in multiplayer, its fun, but I really dont like the current class system, warband class system was definitely more enjoyable.
I want do decide what I want to wear, sometime I just like to not wear a helmet.
Thats actually everything which bothers me with the multiplayer.

Let me add that shield damage, as well as axe bonus, would become immediately noticeable if they lowered the damage reduction for blocking in the correct direction and stance. Literally 2 number tweaks.

Inviting alpha testers way before the forum even had any posts at all, to finally place our first comments and get told "this is not changing" multiple times. Now that the game is released for real money and it still has all these flaws we've highlighted like 8 months ago it's easy to get frustrated.

I agree with all of it and also when playing as archer, after getting hit, you can't change to melee as fast as in warband. Basicly if someone starts hitting you from behind, there is no way that you can actually pull out your melee unless the guy doesn't know how to spam.

wah wah warband veteran
combat is good
class system is supreme over warband
i have 3000 hours on sp and i played 3 mp matches
stop complaining love tw

-

jk +1

I agree with all of it and also when playing as archer, after getting hit, you can't change to melee as fast as in warband. Basicly if someone starts hitting you from behind, there is no way that you can actually pull out your melee unless the guy doesn't know how to spam.

I have the same issue.
The scroll is still being really gimmicky for me, I preferred picking what slot I wanted my weapon on so I didn't have to use that.
1 2 3 4 on keyboard is just superior

But none of those issues are more pressing than combat > battle > classes

That's a punish mechanic i suppose. on the other hand if u switch weapons before getting hit you can instandly block any incoming hit without needing an animation

I get the impression they wanted to make the whole system more casual, and they purposefully ignore all the warband vets, and will continue to.

It is true that there has been some changes to combat. However, we would consider them to be improvements, bringing the game closer to what we had always envisaged for Mount & Blade. The core of the combat is very much the same as any previous Mount & Blade, with 4 directional attacking and blocking, however the intricacies of that combat have been worked on in relation to timings, how damage is calculated, etc. It might be this that you find to be quite jarring when compared to Warband. We would ask that you try to look at the game from a fresh set of eyes and play around with the new, much deeper combat mechanics before passing final judgement.
This was a recent reply by Callum to a negative review on steam. I think it's safe to say that we are being ignored...

Back
Top Bottom